How to have stronger nails?

So when I was little bit my nails terribly, for quite a few years until I kicked the habit in middle school. Problem is I'm 18 now and my nails still suck. They peel at the top edges or crack on the sides whenever I try to grow them. I'm using a nail strengthener that I paint on and I'm taking some vitamins but it isn't helping. I take good care of my nails, always wearing gloves when doing the dishes etc. Anything that has worked for you would be greatly appreciated, preferably a home remedy or something not too expensive to buy. thanks so much for any help!

Most Helpful Girl

• I had the same problem for the longest time. Really these only a couple solutions, take really good care of your nails. File them down once in awhile..make sure they have that rounded shape, that might stop them from catching on the sides and breaking.There's also strengthening nail polish you can buy (Not sure how well it works, I didn't notice a difference). Iguess the last thing is eat healthy, and take care of yourself, take calcium tablets. Try this link.

link

What Guys Said 3

• link ?

• I heard something about lime juice, as well, but I dunno. I'm probably talking out of my ass, hahaha

• Ohhh sorry your already doing nail strengthener. I don't know then =[ Sorry.

• Get lots of calcium from milk and dairy products. You'll start to see little white marks appear on your nails. If that doesn't work the jig may be up I'm afraid.

• Are the little white marks good things?

• I thought those were from damaging your nails a little like by pinching your finger above where the nail bed is. You mean the little horizontal white marks that start at the bottom of your nail bed and grow out until they are part of the white part at the end of the nail

• @QA Nope, they can be any shape.

@KarKingJack Pretty much, just shows you're getting enough calcium.

• have you tried iron rich foods?

• I have iron in my vitamins, I'll have to check about my other foods

What Girls Said 5

• Biotin! It's a specific chemical that your body needs for stronger nails, healthier hair and skin. Try it. I have pals that use it and it works great.

• I have some of that biotin stuff in my multivitamins but I've been really lazy about taking them in the past :( the last few weeks I've been taking them religiously though, hoping for a difference. But I've read a lot about it online, supposedly it works

• try silica. if you read the pamphlet on it, it helps strengthen nails or look it up online. there are vitamins that help with that also but check it out. I've tried it and it works.

• Your nails will harden over time, but it takes time. Don't wear nail polish

• improving your diet and using a clear nail polish that is supposed to strengthen nails helps

• Multivitamins are good, but if you can get vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat, you absorb the nutrients even better.