Does anyone else think Cosmo is totally unrealistic?

my friend had Cosmo sitting on her desk so I picked it up and flipped through it. all the clothes and stuff they suggested buying is super expensive, like a $1,200 top and sh*t like that. the relationship section is like your guy will only be turned on if you do these 18 different crazy sex moves you've never heard of all at once. it also talks a lot about how to look perfect and how you should cut your hair, do your makeup, and even what kind of cosmetic surgery you should get. and the celeb articles kinda just talk about how perfect they are.

even though I'm 24 I still read 17 magazine. they have things like the cutest new styles for under $20. their hair and makeup stuff is really easy, inexpensive, and cute. the relationship stuff is usually interviews with real guys asking how they feel about certain things, and the celeb interviews are about their work, not their beauty and sex life.

am I the only girl that prefers the more realistic articles of 17 to Cosmo?

Most Helpful Girl

• I hate that magazine so much. I find it hilarious that the magazine is for women but all the advice in there is about how to please a man. Not saying you shouldn't care necessarily but wtf? what about us? Their sex advice is so stupid too. If you tried 95% of what they said the guy would be like wtf?

And I don't like 17 either. It's so hypocritical. Its all about body peace and loving yourself yet each month they put workout moves to get the ideal shape. I like that they do mention that being healthy is good but they can't say accept yourself but then put in workouts to get an ideal shape. wtf is that about? And I specifically remember one cover saying you shouldn't do drugs because you'll be "ugly and fat". Of course I'm not advocating drug use but to market loving yourself and then turn around and say not to do something because you'll be unattractive rather than the negative health effects? I don't get it and I don't like it

But speaking on fashion now yes I do agree that cosmo always has ridiculously expensive stuff and 17 has more realistically priced clothes but that's cause they're marketing to teenagers and young women. Cosmo does the real guy answers too so I guess I can't compare. Also, everyone knows Cosmo discusses sex so of course the celebrities are gonna talk about it. I wouldn't say its less realistic because of that

I do prefer 17 though but that's just cause cosmo is ridiculously stupid 99% of the time. TO be honest its kind of a lesser of two "evils" (wouldn't call a magazine evil but that's the saying)

What Guys Said 4

• The likes of Cosmo are an abysmal existence. Should be banned. What you described in the first paragraph is a magazine that encourages girls to be shallow, materialistic, potentially damage themselves physically and maybe emotionally by doing voracious things in the bedroom, encourages them to spend ridiculous money on surgery that could damage them physically and is not good for them. Cosmo is hideous. You should feel good and proud about your views and stand up for what you believe in.

• magazines number one goal is to sell. what sells? whatever makes you stand out from all others. what stands out? crazy, maybe unrealistic things

• Magazines exist for the sole purpose of making you feel inadequate. Unless it's a car magazine.

• those magazines are totally full of themselves. They have a lot of power over those girls that read them from what iv seen. To hell with any magazine or any thing like it that tries to tell you how to be, how to act, and the rest of the sh*t. Teaching people to be plastic and barbie like. Hell no f*** that. And the relationship section what a joke. Sex isn't a methodical logic thing. Its the opposite you just go with the flow and do what f***ing feels good.

What Girls Said 3

• Any fashion magazines have some ridiculous, unrealistic stuff in them. Cosmo and Seventeen included. I read them occasionally for entertainment more than anything else.

• I like reading cosmo sometimes simply for the fact that the articles are extremely humorous.It seems like most of the time they deliberately try to be utterly ridiculous...it's one of those things where everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't read 17--or any related magazine--either because I'm just not into those kind of things.

• Most magazines are ridiculous to me, but yeah, Cosmo in particular.

The fashion stuff doesn't bother me as much as the relationship/sex "advice" does. Those articles seem to encourage girls to overanalyze their relationships and apply "rules" to it instead of looking at the actual situation.

I always laugh at headlines like "16 Moves That Guys Can't Resist." Yeah... because all guys like the exact same things.