• Ask
  • myTake

Which type of intelligence do you value the most in your partner/SO?

Okay, so it's pretty accurate to say that most people value intelligence in a partner. Dr. Howard Gardner built a model of eight different intelligence types and generally person can be strong in several areas. BUT, if you had to choose ONE type of intelligence for your partner, what would it be?(Please note: I'm not actually basing these types from Gardner's theory, I'm kind of meshing & generalizing them)Linguistic intelligence: A person strong in this area is good with words. They are often good at writing, reading, and talking about things. This group often includes writers, poets, lawyers and public speakers.Logical-mathematical intelligence: A person strong in this area is good with math and logic problems. They often enjoy solving mysteries, reading about scientific discoveries, and like to figure out how things work. They are also usually good with computers and a variety of other gadgets.Spatial Intelligence: A person strong in this area is good with pictures and images. They are often good at putting puzzles together. They appreciate art and photography, like to draw or doodle, notice details, prefer geometry over algebra, and are good at directions.Musical Intelligence: A person strong in this area is good with music and rhythm. They can often read music, remember old songs, notice patterns, and can naturally figure out how to play a tune on an instrument.I'm not putting an "other" category in the poll because I want you to choose your preference.Please state which category you best fall into, and what you'd like for your partner.Personally, I have strengths in each area but my strongest would be linguistic intelligence. Because I can be over analytical and logical, I'd prefer someone who is more spatial/musical. Spatial if I'm forced to choose.

This question has a poll!

• Vote A Linguistic intelligence
  • Vote B Logical-mathematical intelligence
  • Vote C Spatial Intelligence
  • Vote D Musical Intelligence

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I would most of all prefer a woman who is logical. Although other facets of intelligence are important to me. I find most women are illogical and let emotion run their behavior. Next would come linguistics. I would like her to be able to intelligently express herself and her ideas. Communication is important in a relationship. I am split between Spatial and musical intelligence. I myself have some musical inclination, and I find it so alluring when a woman has a passion for music. A woman who can dance with her whole body and soul. Spatial intelligence is attractive as well. I love to look at art, and take pictures. Someone who is spatial notice small detail. They can see the bigger picture as a whole, but see the little things that have brought it together. I think that works on many different levels. Alas, you can't have it all.

What Guys Said 7

• I'm primarily logical though I've been developing the other three areas so I like to think I'm reasonably high in all of them.I think I'd prefer spatial intelligence with logical as my second choice.

• i don't know if I'm thinking of the same person, but in my psychology class a long time ago, I remember reading something about this. anyways from what I read, there was also a sort of "athletic" intelligence, basically being very coordinated and a quick learner with anything physical. have you heard of that?if I had to choose one type of intelligence for my partner id choose linguistic intelligence. I'm not a great talker and I would love a girl that I could talk to despite my linguistic shortcomings. I myself am mostly a logical-mathematical person.

• Yup, there are actually nine types. Some are even body/social intelligence, etc. I just didn't want to have too many options, lol and it only allows 5 anyway.

• i guess you figured no one would pick body intelligence huh? lol

• It's seems like an ancillary type to me, not what someone would be strongest in. But yeah, pretty much :P

• I am a logical-mathematical person, I am just plain good with numbers. I would appreciate a girl having that kind of knowledge, but linguistic is most important to me. Math or puzzles aren't going to help much with a relationship like being able to talk eloquently is, at least when it comes to me. Still, all are good to have.

• what happened to all the others? And id like a logical gal with hints of musicality :) good interpersonal skills would be a bonus as well...

• I think she'd prefer if I'm the cunning linguist :D :P sorry, couldn't help but make a joke.Anyways, I really don't know. Linguistic is great so you can have a great conversation with her, but I am personally more on the logical-mathematical side myself and love to talk about science and such fun things too so it's great to have that in common with a girl :) spatial is cool, but not that huge a deal to me, musical intelligence is really appealing to me too. Obviously I'd prefer a combination of all of them, but I think a bit more focus in either Logical or Musical. Gonna choose Logical for the most part.

• I see what you did there...

• Did you? cause I don't :O :P

• I would pick linguistic intelligence because I am logical and I could careless for spatial or musical

• Emotional Intelligence - the most important yet the most rareBut of those 4, I would say linguistic intelligence. I would pick logical intelligence...but I've dated enough girls to know that girls and logic don't mix well.

• girls and logic don't mix well?!

• Show Older
    • 'Agree to disagree'...the polite way of saying "whatever".

• I agree with the QA that ya women tend to not have logic mix well more openly, but guys definitely fail this too. It's such a fallacy that people think guys aren't as emotional as girls. In fact we're just as emotional as girls, we're just taught by society to hide it and keep it bottled up so at times we don't even realize we're being emotional when we are. Emotions are a huge part of being human so ya, both genders fail when it comes to logic vs emotions, but women more frequently/openly.

What Girls Said 6

• I'm a bit of a combo of a and b

• I'm a musician, and I've only ever dated musicians. I'm actually not sure why, though. If I had to actually consciously (I say consciously because I haven't ever dated someone on the basis of them being a musician) choose one of those five, I don't know that I'd pick musical intelligence. I want to say linguistic, probably because that's where I'm weakest, and I admire people who have strengths there.

• *four!

• Logical-mathematical intelligence is a huge turn-on for me. :3I also fit in that category more than the others.

• picked c

• B. Because I'm A and together we'd have super smart babies :)

• I've read that intelligence comes from the mother. link Don't know if I believe it, but certainly wouldn't mind if it were true :P

• Show Older
    • intelligence comes from upbringing more than anything.

• Intelligence is a range of things.

• i'm a mixture of linguistic and musical intelligence...i'd definitely want someone who has linguistic intelligence as well.