Why do teenage guys always swear?

nearly every single guy in my year (17 year olds) are always swearing..

it seems every second word is f*ck this or f*ck that, or f*ck you. I don't see how they think that makes them look good or something because to me and a lot of other girls, its really unattractive and shows how immature they are..

why do they always swear?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's probably cultural, and a sense that it's 'cool' or rebellious.

I think there are worse crimes to be honest. I remember some girl at university had a go at me for swearing. I know for a fact that I have a greater vocabulary than her, pursue more intellectual and mind expanding activities, and am just generally a nicer person with a strong (non religious) sense of wrong and right.

To put it in another way, we all go through various enlightenments in our lives, and I remember at the age of 15 some girl told me I never swear. I'm 26 now and I sometimes swear now, although it doesn't litter my conversation. The point is, swearing is not a great indication of maturity. What would be more concerning is if you can't have a deeper sort of conversation with these guys on a one to one basis. Don't be so dismissive.

What Guys Said 5

• There are three main reasons that I can think of:

1. Cultural. They hear adults swearing on television and in music and, now that they're adults, they feel that they should follow suit.

2. Rebellion. They've spent their entire lives up until now, being told by their parents not to swear. This is one of the ways for them to establish their uniqueness and separate themselves from their parents, by breaking one of their life-long rules.

3. Alpha establishment. It sounds tough, so if they can sound tougher than those around them, they can establish themselves in their crew as the alpha male.

Those are the reasons I can think of, anyway.

• When I'm cursing, it's just my thoughts uncensored. I grew up on 90's rap music in a less than stellar environment. Frankly, that's just always how my internal thought process goes. I see somebody doing something odd, in my head I'm going "huh, look at this f***in guy, does he think that's normal?" or something like that.

When talking to others, especially around people who don't "get" why I would use that kind of language, I censor myself and try to clean it up as best as possible. I do so because I don't feel like explaining myself to them. I also notice that because of this I tend to shy away from talking to people I feel I have to censor myself around. If I can't even talk the way I think around them, I usually won't want to talk to them at all.

Oh and when I'm angry obviously more curse words start popping into my head and my accent gets thicker. Don't know why specifically, but when those raging emotions take over, I'm told my accent gets thicker and I start cursing more.

• I personally swear around people who swear.

And I don't swear when I'm around people who don't.

Simple as that.

Otherwise, it's "cultural", that's what they learn and that's what they think they should do and no one told them not to so why not. Or, rebelling against the strict ruleset their parents tried to carve into them.

• "I personally swear around people who swear.

Simple as that.

Otherwise, it's "cultural", that's what they learn and that's what they think they should do and no one told them not to so why not. Or, rebelling against the strict ruleset their parents tried to carve into them."

I agree with this gentleman.

• uh , to show that they are really concerned people about something that they expect to happen but it never did , so they swear in order to show that they have many tings to do and that some things don't happen which makes them angry and want to say F***this !

any way I know many friends who don't give a f*** about swearing in front of a girl ,

For me if they swear in front of a girl or within her presence I notify them quietly by stepping on their shoes or any discreet action.

I never swear in front of a girl , I think its impolite .

What Girls Said 2

• Because they think it makes them sound cool and grown-up

• So? Its a free country, why can't they swear?