What to wear to a funeral?

My boyfriend's grandfather just died and the funeral is tomorrow.

I'm not sure what to wear since it's getting hot outside and I wnt to still look conservative.

What is appropriate and cute?

I'm 18 years old, there are service at a cathedral and then a ceremony after.

Ideas?

wow, gooodness. Maybe I should rephrase. I'm more lookng for what's appropriate without looking dumb. sorry? trust me I'm not one of these girls you seem to be judging. I just don't want to look like I just rolled out of bed, and since there's a ceremony (party, and yes, the family phrased it PARTY) after, all black would not be appropriate. Thanks for your lovely answers.

Most Helpful Guy

• Black dress, black stockings, black coat if it's cool, black shoes, hair loose or braided, minimal make-up, simple gold jewelry.

What Guys Said 3

• I always wear jeans and a t-shirt when I attend funerals. That way if its an open casket one, I don't show up the dead guy too bad. I figger its hard enough lookin good when you're dead, without a bunch of healthy guys showin up in suits.

• cute? give me a break. someone just died.

• cute? really...wow

funerals aren't for looking "cute". you wear black, anything black

• this guys parents are clueless as well. you don't celebrate with a "party". wtf?

i now think your a troll

but yes, you do wear black, regardless

• you don't "celebrate" with a party, you have a ceremony, that's it. its actually quite disrespectful to have a party afterwards

• look at the below answer

What Girls Said 4

• maybe a nicer pair of pants and a nice shirt to go with it, something appropriate of course. That's what I do.

• As far as I know you can wear either black or white. Wear a long sleeve white shirt with black pants and a black blazer. If it gets too hot you can always remove the blazer.

• Depends on the country. White is _not_ worn in north America. Someone from scandinavia told me that there, the immediate family wear white, most others black. But in North America, you wear black, and if you don't own black, something dark.

• Honestly, don't worry about looking cute. Someone just died. Traditionally, people just wear anything black. But I don't think anyone is going to be too concerned with what you're wearing.

• In response to your update: maybe wear a white blouse with a conservative black skirt. I wore white to my uncle's funeral and there was nothing wrong with it. I wasn't judging you, by the way. Your question just came across as sounding a certain way, but that doesn't mean YOU are that way.

Sorry about your boyfriend's grandfather, by the way.

• Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

• appropriate and cute? wow. not important given the situation. wear anything black. some churches have rules against women wearing pants so I'd ask about that and just go.