Why do guys enjoy paying the bill?

No matter what, my boyfriend insists on paying for everything. Dinner, movies, even our Sunday coffee. I understand he has a good job and makes decent money, but I can't help feeling like a burden if I don't help in any way. He says he enjoys spoiling me, but I just don't get it. Can any guys shed some light on the reason for this?

Most Helpful Guy

• I also don't technically enjoy it. Its just par for the course, you don't get a 2nd date if your like " oh hey you owe me for half this dinner" If a guy does nothing but spoil you financially its prob cause he doesn't have anything else to offer of value{a good personality or so on} and who wants a girl whos just interested in the free ride? That being said if a girl pays once in a while its a nice change but if its a common thing I do feel weird about it and don't like it and I don't know why.

• He has a sweet and caring personality. And I understand society tends to put the unspoken rule "Guys must pay" over the poor fellow's head. He just won't LET me. There was one instance where I went to pay, and he stole my card out of my hand, put it in his pocket, and said "I'll give it back after I pay."

I think it's just how he is. But I don't want him to feel obliged to pay for everything. I'm so torn here. lol

What Guys Said 5

• It's how men can show, in a modern world, that he is a quality provider and protector since duels went out of style and being a highway man is illegal.

• It's how God made us! I mean, everyobody's always spazzin' out about Atheism, but who else could motivate guys to just up and spring for the check?

• I'm that way with my friends, too. I'm just a giving person I guess. And it gets me taken advantage of a lot.

• I don't. I hate being constantly expected to pay. That being said, I feel like less of a man if I don't, so social pressures have f***ed me up enough that I feel like I need to even though I don't want to.

• Its a pride thing. he enjoys being able to take care of you. Its a way of showing he is reliable and stuff like that. But in the end its just pride.

Don't feel bad about it. Use money you don't spend on a random gift if you feel like a burden. =)

What Girls Said 4

• OMG where did you find a guy like that!? It's chivalry. I have been stuck with guys who seem to expect me to pay the bill (mine and theirs). It may be hard to accept but consider yourself lucky to have a guy who wants to take care of you.

• Some guys are like this. It just means he really likes you. Don't stress and stop trying to pay. Just accept and enjoy it.

• Traditional gender roles state that the man should pay for everything. Find a way to do something for him that lets him know you appreciate him. And consider yourself lucky. A lot of guys these days don't like to pay...in fact, some want the girl to pay for everything or just don't take their girlfriend anywhere at all.

• they don't enjoy it, they feel like it's their duty. to be the man