This is aimed at girls: sleep with bra on or off?

Girls, this may sound/seem like a really ODD question and can be quite embarrassing but I need to know: Do you sleep with your bra on or off? I want to know because I was told sleeping with it on can cause breast cancer. Now I'm not sure if this is true or not but I sleep with mine on because it is uncomfortable sleeping with it off. I don't know what to do. Help!

lol. well there seems to be the repetition of wearing it off whereas others say that I should do what makes me feel comfortable. A number of you have said that wearing one does not cause breast cancer and I am highly grateful for that because I was starting to worry. I think that I will stick to wearing one as I have "boob-age" as many of you refer to it as. But I will buy a sports bra instead of wearing an under-wired one.

Most Helpful Girl

• There is no definate link between wearing a bra to bed and breast cancer.

However, if you wear a bra to bed, it's advised to not wear it in the day. Your breast tissue gets used be being supported and the muscles then hold them like that - if you take your bra after say 18 hours and look at your breasts, they are much more perky.

I don't wear one to bed, I find it more comfortable not to. Sleeping with it on you can roll over end up with pinchy, wirey, uncomfortableness!

It's a personal thing though. You get used to whatever. I think most women find it easier to not wear one at night and wear one in the day instead. It's probably considered more "normal"

If you do wear a bra to bed, it's normally advised not to wear a push up or anything cause obviously the position you lie in might affect the breast tissue.

I'm also gonna add, EVERYTHING gives you cancer according to this world. I read an article recently that said oxygen gives you cancer, too much water gives you cancer, not enough water gives you cancer, etc etc. Try not to get too worried about stuff but it's worth asking :)

• Btw related to comments and your update - I'm not sure it matters THAT much how big your boobs are, as long as you support them properly when you do support them. I don't wear a bra to bed, and I have natural DD boobs.

What Guys Said 5

• When you sleep, you shouldn't wear anything tighter than your boyfriend's hands!

• I'll counter your "ODD" question with an "ODD" answer I sleep in the nude with a cowboy hat (sometimes).

• Hahaha, they even say CIGARETTES cause cancer these days.

My ex-girlfriend told me she slept in her bra, and I was like 'whaaaat?', but later I thought if I was a girl I probably would too.

• i wear my bra to bed! lol! jk

• cant imagine how it could and if you feel more comfy wearing one in bed then carry on

What Girls Said 57

• My mom and great grandma both had breast cancer, and my mom is a doctor. Sleeping in your bra or being punched there does NOT cause breast cancer. Silly people:)

I usually sleep with it off. If you have big boobs, I wouldn't wear it off for long. One of my friends seriously had to go to the chiropractor. o_O

It depends on how comfortable you are I guess and if you have pranksters.

Some of my guy and girl friends sneaked in my room and poured water on me to wake me up? Classic prank. I just so happened to be wearing a thin light pink shirt, which just so happens to be transparent when wet.=/

• Do whatever you find the most comfortable. Bra on/ bra off, it doesn't really matter. Your sleep should be the first priority. If you have problems with comfort that impact your snoozing habbits, maybe it is time to re-think your go to bra placement for the night. I'm pretty sure cancer isn't caused by bra- wearing, but nowadays smiley puppies and rainbows seem to be the cause of disease. I say live the way you feel best so you have something to have lived for. Maybe it doesn't apply to bra's, but hey- few things do. Good luck sister ;)

• thank you :) I know I totally agree. I find it more comfortable with it on but the little thing always playing in my head is that I could get breast cancer. I'm just not totally sure.

• Do what you are comfortable with, I don't sleep with one on because I used to and it caused skin irritation where the band was. It all depends on the person. I have big boobs and having not slept with it on hasn't caused me any trips to the chiropractor either :P

• Like I said earlier to one of the other answers : "That's the thing. I have larger breasts and sleeping with one off is uncomfortable for me. Maybe I should buy a sports bra?"

• Cancer is caused by your cells rapidly dividing, some of the cells are bad which cause malignant tumors and others a benign. this isn't caused by sleeping with a bra on.

The worst that can happen is that its uncomfortable. I hate to sleep with mine on.

• Thank you :) I really agree. However, I do find it more comfortable to sleep with one on.

• Really? I just find mine so restrictive to sleep in!

• No, it won't give you cancer. It does, however, shorten the life of your bra considerably. Sleeping in a bra stretches it out, particularly if you're an active sleeper - roll over, shift, etc.

So, if you've got cheaper bras that are already stretched out and don't matter, I would suggest sleeping in them instead of nicer and newer bras.

• thanks! I totally agree. I just got a new one and it's already stretched a little. I will actually buy a sports bra just for sleeping in. Do you think that is such a good idea?

• so true hey! thanks a lot :)

• your welcome.

• I think it can be comfortable...depends what kind of bra.

sometimes I forget I have it on lmaooo

it causes cancer? what a load of crap.

• yes me too! I know. I'm not entirely sure if it does cause cancer or not.

• I don't understand how it can be comfortable sleeping with it on.

You definitely shouldn't be wearing a bra when you're sleeping.

If you need something to 'constrain' your breasts while sleeping you can wear this: link

• I've heard some stupid things about sleeping with your bra on (breast cancer, makes them smaller, etc.), but none of it is backed by science. I used to sleep with it off, but now that they are bigger (DD) I find it more comfortable to sleep with a sports bra or a tank top with a built in bra.

• Definitely off. I don't wear a bra at all if I'm just hanging out at home or at my boyfriend's house, lol. Especially once it hits night time, I'm lounging, and I don't wear a bra when I lounge. =P

• It's a lot more comfortable off for me. Gotta let the girls breathe!

• ahaha! lol I dunno..it's just really uncomfortable for me. they get in the way as weird as that sounds!

• I did hear bras cause cancer especially the ones made out of nylon because they don't let your boobies "breathe". And that tight wire that goes around bras blocks are system from cleaning itself in other words by wearing bras it constricts our body from doing it's natural body function. Since when have you heard that they're is breast cancer on guys ( I haven't heard such thing) but of course its plainly evident that is it our BRAS lol. I do suggest wearing no bras when you go to bed because we have to give our girls (boobs) a break once in while, I personally sleep with no bra on and once I take it off it feels relaxing and it enables me to actually breathe in deeply.

• I understand that but do you have big boobs? the reason I'm asking is that I do and if I don't sleep with one on, I feel so uncomfortable! I just can't stop thinking about the fact that it could cause breast cancer you know?

• oh yeah then you should try a sports bra for the night! :)

• I like to have it on, other wise I feel like my boobs are all over the place. it's not a nice feeling :(.

• On. If you have bigger breasts, it's better to sleep WITH them. It's a common misconception that it's bad to sleep with your bra on (you are supposed to sleep WITH a bra and no underwear). I ALWAYS wear a bra. It's the best way to give gravity the finger.

• I hate that feeling of letting them go while wearing a night shirt over top so I wear a sports bra everynight.

• My feelings exactly! :P I think I will invest in a sports bra! :)

• It's comfy :)

• I know. I used to wear one all the time then I grew up and they got bigger so.. lol wire was the way. But I will definitely buy a sports bra

• You shouldn't believe everything you hear! It doesn't cause cancer :P

Me, I prefer no bra at night.

:)

• I used to always sleep with it on, but now It's impossible for me I find wearing clothes to bed so uncomfortable. I've heard that underwire bras' can cause cancer, so if you feel like you need to wear one I opt for a sportsbra (:

• that's great advice! I was actually thinking of going to buy a sports bra! Thanks :)

• I sleep with either no bra or a sports bra.

I don't think sleeping with one on causes cancer... I can't imagine how it would.

• Off. Wearing less in bed is always comfortable to me. xD

It can cause cancer? I'm not sure, I've been told that before... but maybe depends on the bra? Lol.

• OFF! Way more comfortable for me. 'Sides, ya gotta let the "girls" free every once and while (though I would recommend NOT in public). ;D

• lmfao! obviously not in public :P it's just so uncomfortable. My chest is fairly big and when I sleep with it off, it's just...well uncomfortable.

• It's a myth that sleeping with a bra on causes cancer. This is a rumor that started in the 90's and there is no basis for it. I sleep with a sports bra on every night.

• I have big boobs, I sleep with it off because my shulders hurt from having them on all day. Can't wait to get that thing off! lol

• Uhm always off. And like enchanted, I don't have much "boobage" lol

• Wearing a bra to sleep doesn't cause cancer. For me sometimes I will wear mine to sleep it pretty much depends on my mood. When I come home from a night out drinking I almost always just fall asleep with my bra on.

• on. I saw the cancer thing online, it's just a theory made by scientists not proven.

• Off find it more comfortable!

• Bra off. But... I'm with the other girls. Barely have any "boobage." So, it might be different for someone who actually has boobage. lol

• I have head that and I bet the marks and suff are not good to have on all of the time. So sleep time I think it's OK to have it off.

• I don't think that's true, but I recommend sleeping with it off. I sleep with it off. And just think about, if you wore socks all day, then you will want your feet to breath and the same goes for your breasts. Hope this helps :)

• I sleep with a sports bra on. Its more comfortable!

• on. I love them

• More from Girls
    27