I want a tattoo so bad, any advice?

I know I want one, and I know I don't want it to conflict with my work ability. Girls, what is your tattoo of, where is it and why did you get it? Boys, what tattoos do you find attractive yet not trashy?

Honestly, most of you guys who tell me to think about it need to calm down. No sh*t I have to think about it, and no sh*t they are permanent, I am not an idiot. For those of you who gave me actual advice, thank you.

Most Helpful Guy

• Think about what makes up you. I don't mean the kinds of things you like to do now, I mean waaaay deep down, what makes you tick? Think about your personality and your values.

Say, for example, that you were Chinese and were very romantic. In that case, you might get the Chinese word for "Love". As for me, I have a Bull Shark on my forearm link . The characteristics of that particular species reflect a lot of my attributes, both physically and mentally. I'm not saying "get a shark", but the point is to figure out what is a visual reflection of you.

As to where to get it, a lot of that depends on what you decide to get. It's hard to recommend a location without knowing what it is you're thinking of getting.

Just don't jump into it, okay? Pretty much everyone who has ink has that first one that we jumped into and aren't entirely proud of. Take time, think it through, and plan it out. Make yours one that, twenty years from now, you're still proud to flash!

Personally, I think a tattoo or two on a girl can look sexy. I'm not a big fan of full body pieces or sleeves (don't particularly like them on guys, either), but I do like individual pieces.

If you want to talk more, catch me here or feel free to PM me.

• thank you, you seem relatively educated on the subject.

• Well, I have experience, both with jumping in & regretting, and planning and enjoying. Fortunately, I was smart enough to put my "regret" tattoo in a spot where it would rarely be seen by the general public.

What Guys Said 11

• dont get a tatoo on the lower back(tramp stamp) all the girl have them. personally I don't like girls with any tatoos and I've talked to other guys who agree. I mean some guys do don't get me wrong. I don't have any although I thought about it. Why it seems cool now your still young and don't know what you want. Most people I know who have gotten them regretted it later in life. Do you really want to be 90 years old with a tatoo-doubt it.

I think sometimes if a girl is really hot if she has a very very small one in a special spot where her man can see like near her vagina or a very small thing on her foot that's ok...but anything else anywhere else looks kind of trashy.

This is not somehting I would do on a whim or when you're drink or when a group of your gal friends so hey I've got a great idea...wouldnt it be cool if...(no it wouldnt)

But obviously its your life everyones different. I just don't see the point of getting one. If your getting one because you think it will make you happier or complete in some sort of way trust me it wont. its like getting anything new like a new car, clothes , hair do, new house, etc...we think it will fill a void. and we may like it for a few days, months, but its not until long until one realizes nothing outside oneself will make one happier...including another person unfortunately.

Bottom line...really think it over b4 you decide you want permenant ink of something silly on your skin. You gotta live with it forever. If your unsure get a henna tattoo or something.

• I have thought about getting one across my ribs, but I am on the verge of throwing that idea out. I have always wanted a small one though, always. I am 100% about getting one, and I do want to be 90 years old with a tat, just not one too big.

• Don't get a tattoo of something simply because it has meaning to you. I know that probably goes against what most people would say, but tattoos are permanent. You need to put in more thought than "meaning." You need to think about the aesthetics of the design, how it will look from close up and from afar, how it will look on your body and flow with other future tattoos or just your natural shape. Is the design complicated and are you going to need a very skilled artist to get it to look exactly the way you want it? Get something that looks beautiful that you want to be a part of you. Anyone can make up a meaning behind some generic flash, but that doesn't mean it will actually look good on you.

• That butterfly tatoo that comes with a pack of gums

At least you're sure you'll never regret that one :)

• you asked for advice. if you didn't want to hear what we had to say you should have kept it to yourself.

• advice meaning- tell me some of the mistakes you have taken when you got your tattoo. I want to hear your personal stories, not straight facts that I can find on any random website. I apologize if this was not made clear.

• certain tattoo can look really awesome on certain girls.

I'd go for a spot that isn't visible when your wearing shorts with a tshirt.

I have a quote on the inside of my bicep, so it's totally concealed when I've got a shirt on.

just make sure it's important to YOU. don't get something on your back, where everyone else but you can see it.

have fun!

• Screw that, get your tongue bifurcated

h

ttp://sarahtylerdeen.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/tongue_split_large.jpg

link is split up

• I am not into that either.

• hah I was actually looking at this exact one earlier, it is actually a japanese cherry blossom. I am japanese and was looking it upp.

• go for it. its an awesome type of tat. tell me how it goes if you do

• tats are permanent, or costly to remove. think about it seriously before getting one. I have never seen one on a girl that didn't look trashy.

• the butterfly tattoo across your lower back. its a classic!

• I don't really care for any tattoos at all, and I know a lot of guys think along the same lines.

• 0|0
    • But seriously, three teardrops coming from your left eye.

• @update, you're welcome ^_^

• Attractive tattoo? Is that possible?

• I find tatted guys attractive; I am sorry if you do not find tattoos attractive.

• Yes, generally girls like them more than guys.

• well good luck. geez no do not get one on your ribs. a female friend of mine did this and it looked awful. totally trashy and ruined her image for me. I couldn't help thinking what the hell were you thinking. but also know this other hot female friend of mine who got a teeny butterly about 4 inches above her sweet spot a little to the left. I thought it was cute and sexy and is only visible if she's almost naked and visible to guys who are intimate with her. so that's my take to it.

What Girls Said 6

• I would think about what kind of work you will be doing, see what the general rules and regulations are for tattoos if you know people in the industry. Also get your tatt somewhere that can be covered if needed for a job. I know it's not fair to have to cover it, but it won't impede you that way if you get one :)

I don't have any tatts but I have a lot of friends with them. Most of them have one on their shoulder blade, either side, my one friend has a wrist tatt, and I know some people who have lower back tatts.

• I have a full back tattoo of faerie wings that run from my collar bones to the backs of my knees and I have no problem hiding it because I'm just not a shorts and tank tops kinda girl. I work in fast food currently and the uniform covers my ink but in a professional setting there is no reason to show that much skin either.

I got my tattoo when I finally got my life together following my stupid teenage antics. What it represents is this: "Never give up. Never give in. Impossible is just one perspective."

• I hope this isn't rude, but what was the cost on the full back one?

I have been looking into getting a big one on my from my pelvis up to right under my boob; I just don't know how much it would be..

• I have about $800 of ink on my back.

• It's good that you really, really want one. The biggest mistake someone can make when getting a tattoo is only doing it to look cool. Remember, for the rest of your life you will have it. If you regret it, for the rest of your life you will look upon that tat in anger and embarrassment and you will feel like a fool.

I have three tattoo's, with more definitely on the way. I have a tattoo of Freddo Frog playing cricket on my left thigh above my knee. I have it because every single time I see my grandfather; he gives me a Freddo Frog; even now, at the age of 20. Freddo is playing cricket because cricket is one of my grandfathers and I favorite sports and because he used to play it as a kid. He also made me join a cricket team when I was a kid and he used to drive me to every single one of my games and practices and we always watch on the television together.

On the back of my neck I have Celtic runes spelling strength and I also have a Polynesian Tribal design on my whole upper back.

• If you're getting a tattoo, make sure it's something that means something to you and that you aren't just getting one to get one. (I know everyone says this, but it makes a difference)

I have a full shoulder piece. Music note arrangement across my right shoulder with my sisters names and the quote "when words fail music speaks". I also have a small one on my hip but it's incomplete.

You should also consider what the tattoo will look like if your body changes (pregnancy, weight gain, etc). Cos that can turn your really cute dolphin into a blue whale, ya know?

• Tattoos don't fit my personal style but I know a lot of people/have a lot of friends with tattoos and they can look nice if done by a good tattoo artist. Also, make sure it's something you really want - not something pointless and dumb like barb wire or a dragon or butterfly or something lame like that lol. If you can't think of anything then I would say you probably shouldn't get one, you'll likely regret it at some point. Also, for work purposes - make sure to get it somewhere where it won't be visible at all times/you can easily hide it with clothing :)

• Don't get a tattoo just to please others, or get something others like..If your going to get a tattoo get something that's meaningful to you, not something random just for the sake of having one. It is permanent and removing it is painful.

• I know this already, I am more looking for placement advice. Like if anyone got a tattoo they thought wouldn't inerfere with work and it did, that sorta stuff.

• On your hip maybe, that's always cute.. I would stay away from tramp stamps though.