Why all the need to wear so much make-up, ladies?

My cousin is getting married and since we've always been close (in age and affection) she's asked me to be in the wedding party. I'm happy to do it for her, honoured to be a part of her day and totally willing to help however possible make her and her fiance's wedding a great day for them and their guests.

She's allowing the bridesmaids to do their own makeup- except for me. I'll take a minute here to explain that while we're genuinely friends, we're TOTALLY different.

She's cool, classy, and ultra feminine in cute dresses and skirts, she always dresses the part and puts a lot of time and thought into her outfits from her fingernails to her underwear. In short, she's always quite put together. It's a trait I admire in her but don't share and really don't necessarily envy.

I'm your classic rough and tumble counrtry girl- my go-to look is jeans, a tank top, and my tossed into a ponytail. I own dresses and skirts, I look good in them, and have no objection to looking put together when the occassion calls for it.

But I DO object to wearing a lot of make-up- the most I ever wear is lip gloss, eye shadow, and mascara. I don't like makeup on my face, I find it annoying and uncomfortable- plus it's bad for your skin and really unneccessary since I feel I'm pretty without it.

But my cousin insists she wants to do my makeup for her wedding so I'll look "so pretty". I'm trying to give in gracefully, but every time she brings it up all I can think is "I'm SO going to feel gross with all that on" and "What's wrong with the face I was born with?"

My question ladies, is WHY do so many women seem to think we NEED makeup? Is there something I'm missing in all this?

Wow- I didn't expect SO much feedback from everyone! Thanks for all of your opinions and points of view. Personally,the few times I've had a lot of makeup on I didn't feel confident or pretty- I felt like a doll,someone else's version of who I should be and not ME. Covering up "imperfections" means you cover up what makes you unique. I like my freckles,I like my complexion (even if it's uneven),and I like my eyes just as they are.That's just me, that's how I feel pretty, others clearly disagree.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't understand why people give you one star for this question :/

Here are a few reasons:

1) Some girls think they look good in lotsa make up

2) Some girls genuinely love having lotsa make up on their face (it's their style)

3) Some are insecure with their facial flaws.

4) Some have the misconception of "the more the better"

5) Some girls are under friend's influence/peer pressure to put on make-up

6) Some girls like to explore a variety of make-up

7) Some girls want to attract male attention

8) Some girls want to attract the WRONG attention >.<

9) Some girls see make up as a form of art and their face as a blank canvass

10) Some girls use make up to cover many of their facial flaws.

11) Some girls idolize their favorite celebs and copy their make up style.

(and the list goes on)

One misconception I'd like to point out is that celebrities wear lotsa make up because they are constantly under the lights and on stage. Without that much make up, celebs will look very pale. It's a growing phase for some girls to put a lot of make up. Some stays with that idea, some don't. And no, there's nothing that you are missing unless you are pursuing make up artist as a career :)

• #7 is the biggest reason.

• Aw thanks a lot QA for the best answer <3

Btw, congratulations to your cousin, and hope all of you have a fantastic time despite the make-up thing going on! :D

• lol,thanks, I'm sure we will!

What Guys Said 8

• Well, makeup definitly does make girls look prettier, but only when done tastefully and also depends on the girl. A little eyeliner is hot on almost every girl I've seen.

At the end of the day though Its better to have no makeup than too much makeup.

• idk, if find it extremely unattractive, just like a fake tan, boobs, nails etc. I want something real, not fake.

• Typical pc/GaG male answer

• this guy is full of sh*t. He like every other male would find a girl with makeup well done hot. Guys who pretend to be so picky and only like natural sound exactly like some overpicky chick. Oh that's right I almost forgot how men are complete pussies in todays world!

• lol, I'm not picky at all, I'm just NOT shallow. I don't see how anyone could find a barbie attractive.

• why? because TV and fashion tell you do. that's why. don't you keep up with the times and how to be a super model? that's like, totally every girls dream right? to be one of those super fashion goddesses from a magazine? its actually pretty cool that you don't like make up and like jeans a tank top and a pony tail. I actually find that pretty attractive. I like minimal make up and I find jeans pretty sexy.

• I understand that it's a confidence booster for some women, like me carrying a footlong zoukini around in my pants might be one for me but I wouldn't want to live my life like that. I'd prefer to take the girl I love for what she is, because I couldn't see any other way to be with somone for the rest of my life. Natural women that are comfortable in their own skin are extremely attractive on a whole nother' level.

• so they don't look like you huahahahahahaha

• Hell yeah.

i'm the 500th person who viewed this question XD

hail down to me, newbs! 8D

• wow, no wonder you responded to one of my answers like a retard... you are one

• nah, I just feel like answering like this whenever I feel like trolling.

• Hehe, tbh I like your style more than the other :P

• I honestly find makeup to be a turnoff. I have a friend who is pretty, but she wears a lot of mascara. She said she'll never go out without it. It's a shame because a lot of girls just don't have the confidence to let people see their natural look. Also ironic, some girls look better in their natural form as well.

Which really bothers me because... you gotta take off the makeup when you go to bed. There's a chance that you attracted a shallow man that only liked you for what you looked like, but what if he doesn't like your natural look? I think girls need some confidence and do away with the makeup because like you said, it actually isn't very healthy for your skin. Our skin is our largest organ, and it deserves more care than we usually think.

• If you wear make-up properly it looks natural. You say you find girls who wear none at all to be prettier, but how do you know they have absolutley none on? if it's done well you can't tell.

most girls will wear at least some foundation to make their skin tone to look even and smooth. It is actually good for your skin. It protects it from the sun and has moisturisers in it.

• I know that's the argument for foundation, but I could also just wear sunscreen, which moisturizes, protects me from the sun and doesn't leave my face feeling heavy.

What Girls Said 45

• It is a personal preference, nothing more, nothing less. So, continue to wear minimal makeup but honor your cousin's request for this occasion. Let her know you want to wear as little as is possible and maybe have her do a run through before the event so you can discuss it.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with the face you were born with, I am sure your cousin feels the same, but if this hurts your feelings, you should discuss that now, before the wedding. Nothing like suddenly losing it on the wedding day to really ruin a friendship. I can say that when I try to be graceful but other thoughts pop up in my mind, I will probably bring it up later, at the wrong time, in the wrong way, but that is me, not sure how well you are at stuffing things like this.

• Thanks- she knows I detest wearing excessive makeup, she just has her own ideas of what's proper in a formal setting. I'll probably just let it go and shut up about it until after pictures when I can wash my face...

• Sounds like a good move. I am planning a wedding and I have a friend who just does not know how to wear makeup, but I believe that my friendship is more important than risking offending her and I just don't think a woman feels good when they have to wear makeup in a way they don't like. I do wear makeup, always have, but very lightly and a couple of times I have had it done professionally and felt way too overdone and ridiculous.

• Well not all are blessed with good skin and so forth. Some people have great looking skin and have no idea what it's like to struggle with skin problems.

• No one NEEDS makeup, but many girls feel (including me) that makeup makes them feel much more confident going out, and while guys say, "I like my girls natural" it's usually bullsh*t because guys have no idea what they're talking about. You're right about face makeup being bad for you're skin, that's why I only use it for occasions. And since it's her wedding, just let her do your makeup, who cares right? It won't kill you.

• There nothing wrong with make-up if done tastefully. I for one wear make-up, but my make-up is tastefully done that many people don't realize that I'm wearing make-up. There are Women who cannot do without make-up and others like myself who wear it to enhance our beauty. Those who feel they need it are perhaps insecure but just because a Woman enjoys wearing make-up, do NOT mistake it as her feeling that she needs it and that she is insecure, she just likes wearing it. Also, depending on the make-up line, make-up is made very good and light that you don't realize that you are wearing it and the colors look beautiful. Also, the ingredients have many healthy factors such as retinol, suv, shae butter and the list goes on. For example, foundation is actually good to wear outdoors especially in the sun because the ingredients has sunscreen and uvb and uva protection. So a lot of times when a female wears some make-up, she is protecting her skin. Not saying that you aren't naturally beautiful because I'm quite sure that you are. But my sister is the same way where she feels that she doesn't need make-up but when I look at her I see the darker circles around her eyes and a few blemishes from her pimples. Wearing make-up can clear and smooth the skin and one wouldn't notice any blemishes. So you may wanna give it a try and just try some make-up. Besides, in this economy, if you are looking for a job the market is competitive. Your image is vitally important and wearing make-up can bring out our beauty more than you realize. Lastly, when you wear make-up and it looks good, it's a confidence booster!, even among the most confident Women LOL

• I have tried make-up, which is how I know I don't like it. Around 15 I started experimenting with it and since I have an older sister who is very girlie and into makeup she taught me how to do it properly. As I said, I CAN do it, I just don't like it. And if I want protection from the sun, I wear sunscreen- Nutrogena SPF 30 is my go-to moisturizer. I don't think women who wear makeup are insecure, it just bugs me that they tend to think there's something wrong with those of us who DON'T wear it.

• @jrose...it depends on the type of make-up that you are wearing which may seem as if you are wearing a lot. Even among the girliest of females, some don't know what type to wear for their skin/face. Make-up artists, mary kay and mac are good ways to learn. Suncreen moisturizer is great but in the middle of the winter, fall or early spring people most likely don't wear it therefore make-up has those properties. I've noticed that those who are adamant against wearing it, is deeper than we know.

• Actually, I have only worn foundation twice in my life- I just don't see the need for it. I don't like a lot of eye make-up either, it's just not comfortable for me- even when my sister treated me to having it professionally done for my prom. As for the sunscreen thing, most people probably don't use it in the winter, it's true, but if I have the choice of putting something on that doesn't need to be scrubbed off at the end of the day and still protects my skin I'm going to use it.

• I used to wear a mask of makeup everyday (It looked natural, but it was a lot on my face) After a while your face adapts and builds up tolerance to the make up, it gets addicting, you keep doing more and more, and less always feels too little. Well finally I was sick of having to "put on my face" (that's what my friends and I say) every time I would see my boyfriend and feeling so naked, and boyish without it, that I decided to give it up allt ogether. I haven't worn make up for a year, only on occasion, but every time I do now it feels so heavy, like my face is dirty, and It really just looks like I have a bunch of crap on my face which is what is is. It looks so unatural now that I've seen myself w/o makeup for so long. Make up is something you either dedicate yourself to or not, its hard to wear it once in a while, it just feels weird. I remeber when I would see girls from school that would normally not wear make up, wear it someplace like graduation, or dances and It didn't look right, mascara seems so heavy on their eyes, eyeliner looked obvious, maybe after a while with experience girls make it look more natural and adapted to their face . If your cousin is really wanting you to wear make up I would just let her have her way, but if you can get out of wearing make up, then I think you will feel a lot more confortable, maybe bring some make up remover with you, but don't remove too much where the bride will notice and feel hurt, but you can take off enough to wear you feel confortable, good luck:)

• I don't think everyone needs makeup daily, but it is important for special occasions especially those where lot of photos are taken. Pro photographers use weird lights that can pick up a lot of imperfections if you don't have good face makeup on. It is a fantasy thing like another person said. Also you may stick out in the photo if you wear light makeup and the other bridesmaids are wearing full makeup. If you don't like how it feels on your face, request powder foundation and blush. If they don't have that then cream is more comfortable than liquid. Have fun and you can take it all off at the end of the day

• I think I'm pretty without makeup, but I usually put on a bit before I go out. I guess it depends on what you consider to be a lot/too much, but typically I put on foundation, some mascara, and lip gloss. I don't really like eye shadow or extra, glitzy things, but if there's a special occasion I'll put in on.

And for me I don't really think it has to do with impressing guys. Actually when I'm dating someone and I'm with him and I know my makeup has worn off, I don't care about reapplying it cause I just want to spend time with him and I know he doesn't care haha. Plus I'm a girlie girl, I like putting my makeup, giving advice to other people on it, trying out new products, etc.

The smell of makeup is nice (I think) and it wakes me up in the morning. Although, honestly, I really can admit that my absolute favorite time of day is in the afternoon, because most of my makeup has come off but it leaves just enough that I think I look my prettiest (and I can't seem to recreate that look on my own, it just has to wear off on its own).

• every girl is going to be different. some need make up to enhance their features or to hide certain features. it's just an illusion to make one look better but some girls look better naturally.

i feel more confident when I wear make up and guys do not notice I'm even wearing it. the best way is to make it look natural. it's just one day. for photographs, sometimes make up enhances so that it can take a photograph of your face and everyone's face better as well.

• Ladies, if your makeup ever feels cakey and uncomfortable, you probably aren't applying it correctly. (A little goes a long way.) Look for non-comedogenic brands if you're worried about getting skin blemishes. Avoid face powder if you have dry skin and/or don't want your makeup to be too thick. Apply foundation with a bit of lotion mixed in for extra moisture and a lighter feel.

Foundation mainly evens out your skin tone. That's why I wear it. It's not that I look much different with or without it, but I do feel that it makes me look a little more put together and fresh-faced. Makeup, in general, is all about accentuating features, not covering things up or trying to create the appearance of something that isn't there.

• because some people don't think they are pretty without it...thats why I wear it! when I don't wear makeup I feel so ugly and plain, my boyfriend will tell me he thinks I look beautiful and I'll tell him "you must be lying!" I don't know...i kinda feel the need to try and look as pretty as possible and need to be eye catching. if I go out somewhere on the weekend and I have no makeup on and look plain, and there are hot chicks with nice makeup and dressed sexy I'll feel ugly and feel like my boyfriend would rather check out girls like that than me... (my boyfriend use to go to hooters and strip clubs and those girls are so much hotter than me, so I need to wear makeup to show him I too can be pretty)

• I totally understand your stand point but its SOMEONES special day.. You can scrape the crap off your face later.. Some women like to feel somewhat of a fantasy girl. You know the life size version of airbrushed chicks in magazines. They like to feel flawless. I get it I do.. I'm the same as you however.. I darken in my eyebrows add a tint to the brows mascara and I'm out the door. The only vice I have are my earrings.. I HAVE to be wearing earrings.. But yea.. It's one day.. Scrape the crap off your face soon as you leave..

• How much makeup/if you want to wear makeup is personal preference. I don't like wearing a lot, but my best friend likes wearing a ton. It depends on the girl.

In your case, it's your cousin's big day, so even if you feel gross, suck it up and wear it to make her happy.

• for me-it's fun! I love it. and if you don't want to wear makeup-that's perfectly fine,but it's her day,you should try and make her happy.there's nothing ''wrong'' with your face,it's just that most people look better with makeup,even if they're pretty naturally

• Okay, so this is going to sound like I'm bragging, but I'm not. However, I am extremely confident in my outer beauty as well as my personality and whatnot. I feel great with and without makeup!

But I seriously considered going into make up artistry because I don't necissarily like wearing makeup as much as I like putting it on! I spend lots of time just putting it on and taking it off for the fun of it!

That's just me, and I have a genuine respect for women like you, it's so cool that you're that confident! I think a lot of people wear it for a mask, but I wear it because I like to put it on! (sounds weird, huh?)

• I never wear makeup, and it feels totally unnatural to me as well. But my best friend just asked me to be her maid of honor, and I will gladly wear makeup if she wants - it is her day.

I think women are taught to wear makeup, i.e. from seeing women they admire put it on, from friends and peers, etc. There are probably other reasons too, but I was never around it as a child and have never worn it. For as long as I can remember, my mom's morning routine has been to shower, brush her hair, and get dressed. In my house, appearance was not something to dwell on, and that stuck with me even after peer pressure hit. I consider myself lucky.

• No you're find, I don't wear that much make up I wear foundation because I have dark marks from acne and I thicken my eyebrows because when I was little I decided to make the clever decision of shaving off my eyebrows (twice) and there not that full and mascara and some gloss and I'm usually ready to go even tho I don't have to wear my eyebrow stuff since I dyed my hair lighter so it makes my skin look better. But I wear it just to hide little imperfections here and there. Or if I'm going out and special occasions I'll do it up but I can't say that I wear alot...

• There's nothing wrong with wearing make-up, but for women in their 20s and 30s...wearing too much can make you look much older or a drag queen. Not to mention, not great for the skin.

• Rarely put on make up & when I do it's colored (blue/green) eye color pencil.

My eyelashes are pretty long and thick so I don't need mascara.

It's weird but I feel prettier without make up !

• That's how I feel! Make up makes me feel gross and kinda fake (I'm not saying people who wear make up are fake) but that's how I feel :)

• I wear mascara, eyeliner, eye shadow, and bonzer. I wear it because I feel like it makes me look prettier, though I would have little problem going out without makeup. I feel like foundation and excessive powder and concealer makes your face look caked on and gross, so that's why I stick to a little bonzer just to give my skin slight color.

• ive never wore makeup and I'm 20. I really want to start this fall semester for college. I do want to get all dolled up for once but I do believe makeup can make some girls look pretty with moderation. I had a girl in my dorm room floor last semester and looked amazing with makeup after she took it off she looked like a meth head literally.. scars on face, dark bags, wrinkles she looked HORRIBLE. all I can say is thank god for makeup

• I don't.

I only wear make up when I'm going out or if it's a special occasion.

-or if I'm feeling very chipper/hot/sexy that day, then I out a bit of mascara on... x)

• I guess it depends on the girl. I agree that some girls wear way too much and it just looks a hot fckn mess like they're very insecure and trying to use make-up to feel better about themselves. I think a ton of different eye shadows look really ridiculous. I, like you, wear minimal make-up; mascara, light eye liner, and lip gloss is pretty much it. I've never worn foundation. Some girls are just really extreme.

• I'm 21 and never wore make up! NEVER! I don't have a perfect skin but I don't feel the need to hide it!

But it's OK to wear make up on special occasions like weddings... but not on a daily basis.

• i only wear mascara but I think girls wear makeup because they feel insecure! I used to wear foundation, powder, like tons of it and one day I realzed my skin is nice clear and pretty lol I don't need blush my cheeks are naturally rosey so I just accepted (:

• i think it has to do with being perfect.

any girl or girlie girl or sometimes toboys want to impress boys so we turn to magazines.

they have all the things we could wish for in themand we exsperiment with the make up.

when we got the pefect touch of make up we fall in love with it!

this is what happened to me but then I relized eye liner looks toataly rediculous and that I should go with a natrol look.

• society makes it seem like that's what you need to be beautiful and attractive so a lot of people just conform or dislike how they look so they try to change it.

• Some girls care about it and others don't. I personally only wear eye liner, maybe eye shadow, and some chapstick lol. Everything else like foundation is bad for your skin imo, and I don't want to pile on all this stuff on my face in order to just take it off every night. It's way too time-consuming and futile. She probably picks up guys who like the whole girly, feminine look but there are other guys who don't care like you or me. And we're doing just fine.

• I always say that makeup done correctly accentuates your features.

• because it makes us look pretty and boys like that so it makes us feel good sometimes.

• It gives me a new look

• More from Girls
    15