Stretch marks and scars: can I show my legs and arms even though they have stretch marks and scars on them?

I have had scars and stretch marks for as long as I can remember. When I was a little girl I used to love playing outside and accumulated a lot of scars on my legs. As I got older, I suddenly got stretch marks, like for no apparent reason. According to my mum their hereditary but still. They make me feel self conscious and awful. I wear trousers and jumpers all summer long because I don't want anyone to see them. But recently I'm just getting fed up off this, especially in the heat. So do you think it's acceptable for me to whip off the layers and wear a skirt and a t shirt, or should I keep them hidden...?

Most Helpful Girl

• I had some bad stretchmarks on my legs, right behind my knee's. They were bright red for about a year and I tried everything I could to get rid of them. I was embarrassed and I felt like it was my fault, like I'd done something to my body to get these. I tried to hide my body in all possible ways, especially when changing in front of people and having to do P.E, I'd refuse to wear shorts because I hated them so much.

They've now faded, they're just white, like skin. You can barely see them now, only in some lights. Even though they'd faded I was still amazingly insecure and wouldn't wear shorts without tights or anything that showed my legs really.

Now I'm over it, it's my body and it's my comfort. Some people may look but everyone has them somewhere. Sometimes we're just more unfortunate than others. It's usually your complexion that gives you stretchmarks, obviously as well as growing and everything. But it seems that the whiter you are, the more likely you are to get stretchmarks.

I had stretchmarks on my hips too, they're not red anymore but they're still noticible, I'm still pretty insecure about them but I keep it to myself, I never let anybody know how insecure of them I am.

The best advice I can give you is to just live. Just get on with your life. Don't let some marks on your body get you down. You only live once, when you're older you'd regret hiding your body away because it will affect over aspects of your life too. I'm not saying go out and wear barely anything but if you want to wear shorts, wear shorts.

And sometimes half the people that are horrible enough to even mention anything or look at your legs or arms in disgust you'll never see again. You'll live with yourself everyday so you've gotta learn to love what you've got and love it well.

What Guys Said 1

• if you are o,k with showing them then do it y would you care what some people think of the scars on you,r arm and leg,s you don,t have to hide them for people some one will see them at some point and if they think it look,s bad just tell them to F/O and stop being so self conscious about it people can be ass hole,s don,t let them get to you and just be how you are hope this help you out some

What Girls Said 3

• Show them off :) Just about everyone has stretch marks. I just recently got over my own insecurities about mine on my upper arms. It feels so good to not care. I agree 100% with the anon below me.

• bio oil gets rid of scars and stretch marks. it may take time but you get great results!

• Do it :) wear skirts and shorts, and don't give a f*** what other people might think.