How come I can never get a good hair cut no matter how hard I try?

I keep going to fancy salons with good reputations and ratings, but I never come out with good hair.

Today I went in and gave them this picture: link

After four hours in the chair, I ended up looking like this: link

Now I have terrible hair (my family literally laughed at me when I got home) and I'm out $150.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Most Helpful Girl

• I usually have a problem finding a hairdresser that cuts my hair to my liking. A lot of times too because I have thick hair that is long, they often complain and b**** about it the whole time. I don't like that, it doesn't seem professional. Everyone has different hair types and they are there to cut hair. I finally found a hairstylist I love and she is great. Doesn't complain or rush through a cut, and is very nice and also very professional.

I would ask friends for recommendations because that is oftentimes how you find good people. When someone has a bad experience we always hear about that salon. I also wouldn't equate price for quality hair dressers. There can be a really pricey salon because there may be a couple great stylists, while the rest are okay. I have had amazing haircuts from places that have charged me 30 or 40 bucks. You don't have to pay through the nose for good haircuts.

I would go and visit the salon first. Say you are looking for a new stylist and would love to take a look around and meet some of their stylists. That way you can talk to them about your concerns and also see what the salon is like. See if the stylists actually listen to what their clients say, I have had hairdressers tell me what I should want and I don't think that is right either. It is my hair and it should be how I like it, it only makes sense since I am going to be wearing it for a while. So I can totally identify with how you feel.

Sometimes it just comes down to trying out a few different salons and hoping one works out. In time you will find someone how is great at what they do and cuts your hair the way you want it done :)

What Guys Said 5

• You have to be very specific when you are getting your hair cut. You also need to go to someone who listens and knows what there doing. I understand that you are a woman and you have much more to work with but I think these basic principles help.

Before I let anyone cut my hair I give them a small interview. I ask them flat out if they are any good at cutting hair, and if they seem hesitant I will not let them cut my hair. I only let one woman cut my hair and that's because she knows exactly how I like it. You need to find someone who is a good match for you.

• To be honest, there's really nothing nice to say about that haircut. However, looking at you face, I think you could pull off short hair. Try playing around with it for a bit or maybe getting it trimmed into something more workable. I'm sure you can find something to do with it while it grows back.

• Why did you pay them if they screwed up your hair?

• Mostly out of frustration of sitting still for four hours and wanting to go home. Also, they threatened to call the cops on me if I didn't pay.

• You need to learn to stand up for yourself. They didn't perform the service you hired them to do. Let them call the cops.

• Agreed. 150$ is to expensive for any hair cut in the first place.

• Thats sh*t, you should kick their asses.

Try arranging consultations with places first, so you can talk to their hairdressers. If they seem trustworthy and like they know what their talking about, and don't charge a ridiculous price, don't go.

• haha I love being a guy, $4.99 haircuts baby woo!

What Girls Said 15

• Heck yeah! Its so frustrating. I went in to have my hair dyed for the 1st time. I wanted to try brown and instead the lady dyed it red! So I went in a month and a half later to a different place and they guy dyed it brown on the bottom, blond highlights(because I let him) but then he completely left it red on the top on purpose because he liked it. So now I have 3 different hair colors going on.lol A friend recommended me to this one lady and I'm going to try her next. keep trying and maybe ask friends and family members whose hair you like, where they go to.

• I actually think your hair looks good in your display picture

I had this problem when I would just go to anyone. A lot of hairstylists just pass the beauty school requirements and get behind a chair There are many salons that are just about getting asses in chairs and not very big on customer satisfaction and actually having any skills. When you see a girl with great hair ask her who does her hair or what salon she goes to. Try to stick to stylists who you have personally heard good recommendations about.

Also it's not always about the price. Sometimes you can get fooled by fancy salon/spas and expensive prices. You might think you get what you pay for but that isn't always true. Everybody is not good at listening to the customer and delivering. If you ever watch Salon Takeover you'll see a lot of fancy schmancy salons that have a lot of problems with service so you can't always go by that. Usually they will have better products so I'd go to them for deep conditioning and treatments but that's about it. I've had my hair done in the hood at people's houses and had wayy better results than at fancy salons so that says a lot. Also try to look for a stylist that has many years of experience. Always get a consultation before your actual appointment so you can ask questions, clarify things and decide whether or not you're comfortable letting them do your hair.

• where the f*** did you get your haircut? D: I've had a bowlcut,exactly like that one (on purpose) and I paid 5$ for it! as far as how to stop stupid haircuts,look at yourself in the mirror and keep track of the cutting,if you notice that s/he's cutting too much-slap the bitch,or just tell her ''not that short!''

• I never liked how my hair ends up after getting it done in salons, so my Auntie cuts it for me now. :X No fancy-looking hairstyles, but also less risk :P

• YES! Every f***ing time I go to get my hair cut they f*** it up.

Every. Single. Time.

So now I've given up. I just let it grow long and I refuse to ever get it cut again. Even if I ask for a trim they manage to f*** it up. Every f***ing time I go somewhere new, every f***ing time it costs a lot nd every single time they f*** it up.

• That is pretty much my life. Now, my hair is almost down to my belly button.

• Mine is about an inch or two past my tail-bone. BUT, I think I may have found a good hairdresser. We shall wait and see.

• Wow, I can't imagine styling hair that long. I had chest length hair three years ago and it was such a huge pain.

• I used to have that problem, but I kept trying new salons,

and eventually I found the perfect one. I love them

so much. They always do a fantastic job. And I've really

gotten to know the people there, and the more you get to know

them the more they know what you want to do with your hair.

I think you just need to keep looking for the one that suits you. =)

• I'd never pay that much for a hair cut. It could be your hair texture. You should find you what hairstyle would suit your face and hair texture best

• yup going to the salons can be a pretty scary experience some don't do what you want them to do ...i would have fliped out because the diff in length is a bit much.. I have found that the cheaper less fancy salons have some pretty damn good hard working stylists , find her /him the does your hair good and stick to them and watch what they do and tell them specifically don't just show them a picture

• never, ever, EVER pay that much money for a haircut. I go to this little family-style place, tell them what I want, and boom- they deliver. I feel like the fancier places are just super fake. is your hair really that short now? like it just covers your ears?

• Pretty much. I would post a picture but...it's so bad that I'm afraid to. I seriously don't want to go out in public with this hair.

• I'm trying that now, not much is helping. I guess I have to wait for it to grow out.

• one of my friends once got a pixie cut...and it looked terrible- but the good thing is that her hair grew back really fast. within a week, you could see a difference. I think once you get to chin-length, it'll look way better. also, maybe you can pin your bangs to the side, to open up your face and make the haircut look less drastic. good luck with it! :)

• ive been going to the same place for 10 years because they always do a great job. and charge me $15. I think you should look at online reviews of the salon first. sorry about your hair.

• Holy guacamole. $150?! Jeeeez, that's a heck of a lot of money! Are the stylists there blind or something? Those 2 hair styles are VERY different. I think they need to get their eyes checked.

• I don't. But I get it done at my mom's salon so she would kill them if they messed up my hair and don't give me what I want.

• I just go really cheap: to the salon schools. As cheap as it gets. And believe it or not, I usually end up getting pretty good hair cuts. So maybe try that and see how it works for you... ? I don't know.

• if you see someone with hair you like, ask them which salon they go to

• I acully cut my own hair witih this thing that evenly picks up my hair, I cut it. And than I do layers. I also got it for bangs. I ALLWAYS get complainments on my hair. I don't even have great texture hair, I have curly hair. And curly hair is allways prone to dry hair. I love it :))