What are your opinions on beauty pageants?

I feel they are out of date and really not necessary. Our society is pretty superficial, and I feel like these pageants do not help our society one bit. Sure they try to tell us they pick ladies or girls who are smart and well-rounded, but you see the shows like the ones on TLC or even the Miss Universe contestants behaviors and I feel they just end up being spoiled and stupid. The little girls are thrust into doing pageants when they would rather have fun playing in their backyard with barbies, not sitting in the makeup chair to have their hair and makeup done.

And with the older contestants, they end up taking off their clothes or giving a really stupid answer to the questions. I just don't see why we need to make these people important in our society. Girls shouldn't be looking up to some of these women.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think they are stupid and a waste of money and time

What Guys Said 4

• I agree with you but your working against main stream society which is a very strong force. I lump pageants in with cheerleading and dance schools, there are always exceptions but in general I think all these area harbor image obsessed women who go on to perpetuate this trend in society.

• I think they're lame. Boring as hell. Sure, they may be hot, but they're all cold fish. Nothing provocative will happen.

If I had a daughter I'd rather see academic competitions. Something less focused on outward beauty. I think that sends a bad message to young girls.

• Your daughter could join the academic teams in HS! And middle school if she goes to an academy like I did

• Hahaha, they're funny. Everyone knows the way it is though, those people aren't them, they try and act this character and the person who is most the same wins. Its like, a living doll. I like it. Why does a superficial society need help? Its being celebrated and that's beautiful.

But I don't know how people can take them seriously, LOL, honestly.

• Anyway, I don't think you can judge someone for not living up to what they say in a Pageant. Like I said, its acting. Anyone can do a pageant, and then go back to do whatever they were doing. They shouldn't be held up to that ridiculous role in all aspects of their life, people don't get annoyed that Samuel L. Jackson isn't out kicking ass all the time

• Idk the child pageants are like...pretty whack in my opinion. I feel like they making all these little kids way too concerned with their image for their age.

What Girls Said 4

• I think they are great for the young girls who enjoy doing them and who enjoy making friendships along the way.

Some of those girls do want to do it so you're in no position to tell parents what the kids want to do.

I really think some girls should get over their "better" than everyone attitude and let parents be parents, no offense.

• I in no way think I am better than anyone's parents. But from watching that show and knowing a few people who have done things like this. They enjoyed it until they had to do every pagent or every recital. So there has to be a balance I guess.

• I agree, because I have never heard of the other pageants you mentioned. That just goes to show how much importance society put on beauty ^.^ They should give these other pageants some recognition too!

• Yeah, those pageants are definitely focused less on beauty, I mean they are, but most of them are about rewarding hardworking girls cause they give them scholarships for school etc. Basically, they have standards. I think the whole Miss Universe pageant is useless in a sense, but to be honest, maybe that's all some of those girls have? Their looks are all they could get by

• I don't like them. At all.

• to each their own. it's really none of your concern if you don't like them or if you like them. don't like them? then don't watch. simple solution.

• I don't really like pageants for young girls (under 10) but I think they're great for older contestants. What's wrong with feeling confident about yourself? I don't think pageants have much effect on society...you see a televised competition once a year & that's about it. The winners go on to do some nice charity work.