How do I explain to my friends why I don't wear makeup?

There are various reasons why I don't wear makeup. Animal testing, money, time, and I just don't look good with it. When a friend asks I try to explain but they just laugh. How can I get the message across?

And what is a polite way to tell a friend her makeup looks bad? I have a friend whose foundation is several shades more orange than her skin but she 'doesn't notice'.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't wear makeup either (except when on stage for a play, and I hate it then) and there are a lot of other girls who don't. If you don't like it there is absolutely no reason to wear it, regardless of what your friends think. Just tell them that there are tons of girls who don't wear it and tons of guys who like girls better without it. Plus, they really shouldn't care if they're really your friends, and even if they do it's not important because you're your own person and can do what you want :)

And maybe if you ever go shopping with her and are in the makeup section, you may find a lighter shade of foundation that matches her skin tone better and just casually say something like "Ooh, you should really get this! It would look great on you! It's close enough to your natural skintone that it won't be overpowering but still extremely pretty." Or if that doesn't work just kind of casually mention that she may need a lighter tone. If she listens, good. If not, at least you tried. :)

What Guys Said 8

• I actually LOVE it when girls don't wear makeup. even if they look better with it on, I still perfer them not to wear it.

I want to see what my girl really looks like. I HATE it when I see girls with thick base and chunks of mascera stuck in their eyebrows and thick eye liner. its absolutely disgusting. Eye makeup is my only exception and that's it

• oh, and you should tell your friends that "guys dig it"

• One time I said to my stepmom the same thing! Chicks look better without makeup, even when they have for years *we were talking about my stepsisters, her daughters* and even then she was arguing with me that they were hideous and I'm just standing there like wtf? So I agree with you...At some point they can't look pretty without it, but it's so much more natural and still looks better...

• You don't owe them an explanation for anything. Quite frankly, women who don't wear makeup, regardless of the reason, are awesome.

• Also, if someone is being a d*** to you about this, say the magic words: "Deal with it."

• They're being complete assholes, obviously. Laughing at your reasons, f*** 'em.

And you can say to them, when its just the two of you alone, 'You know, I think your foundation is too dark for your skin', and they'll be like 'You think so?', and yous can talk about it, but don't come on like you assume your right, considering you don't even wear it.

• Just say: I appreciate your care & love in making me look good, however I like my natural skin.

• don't bother if they ask just give them the reasons you listed

• just say, I don't wear makeup because I don't need it, unlike you guys!

best answer please! =]

• If you do not have anything nice to say to someone..do not say it at all. Be the mature one here

• Friends are people to whom you owe no explanations, and who expect no explanations.

What Girls Said 9

• I don't wear makeup either. And I don't explain it to my friends. If there your friends they wouldn't really care and would be fine with just the way you are =)

• You don't owe anyone an explanation as to why you do or don't do something.

As for your friend, there is no nice way. No matter how you say it, she will be a bit hurt by it. You just tell her, hey, I notice that your foundation may be the wrong color, lets go to the mall and have them help us find the right color.

Places like CVS often have a makeup consultant too, to help you find the right shade.

• Just say have you noticed that your foundation doesn't match your skin tone. They just tell her your trying to help her out for her. But for you I would just tell my friends I just don't like make up point blank and if they keep laughing just be like what ever.. Plus they shouldn't be laughing they will see what it will do to there face in the future :).

• I don't wear makeup because it's just not me...It's a giant pain in the butt and I just don't see why I should fake myself up to attract someone...I'll wear makeup every so often, but that usually adds up to three or four times a year and HALF of those times, it's costume makeup for Halloween or an anime convention LOL

• Just say you don't like to. And say it like you don't want to go into detail. Don't be like wellll I don't know I guess I just don't really like to...just say "Because I don't want to." And that's that. And I had that same problem and actually one day I just said hey are you using a different shade of base today? It looks a little darker than usual and ever since then she's been blending more naturally

• just say ''i don't want to'' what are they gonna do to you,''rape'' you with makeup?

• just do your best to explain. If they can't understand or handle that, then that's their loss. As for your orange friend, offer to do her make-up one day, but stick to a natural look and show her how beautiful she can be without make-up :)

• I rare wearing makeup; I just take good care of my skin like using scrub once in a week, apply moisturizer/olive oil and drink a lot of water.You definitely look natural and radiant.It is not about the makeup, it's about your healthy skin.

• Just say "because I don't want to" ha ha and leave it at that.