Opening the door for a girl?

I was in a woman's study class and on the very first day the professor asked us men in the class. "Why, do all men open the door for ladies". So I responded that I was brought up to think it was the right thing to do, and that it's common courtesy. Just the polite thing to do. The professor snapped back and told me that is the wrong answer, and that men open the door because men think women are too weak to open it up for themselves and that women can't do anything without a man beside them. Now I know from that point on I might as well just put a muzzle on face and just shut up because there is no winning against an extreme feminist.

So my question is, how many of you women out there actually have a problem with a guy opening/holding a door open for you, whether it's a car door, restaurant door, house door, w/e

• It bothers me to no end.
  • It can bother me once in a while, but not often I actually like it on some occasions
  • Doesn't affect me either way
  • I like it when a guy does that. Gives off a good impression. :D

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly that is a plus I love a guy who is well mannered :] and polite ! Today I feel like there is no chivarly any more or politeness

What Girls Said 21

• It doesn't bother me. It's a nice gesture.. hell, if a guy is coming in or out of somewhere that I'm going in or coming out of, I'll hold the door open for him. I hold it open for girls too. It's just a common courtesy here in the south. Everyone holds the door for everyone here. Most everyone at least :P If I'm on a date, I've had guys get offended that I open the car door myself, or I walk a bit ahead and open a door myself, or if I don't take their hand if they offer it to me when I'm getting up from my seat.. but It's not that I have a problem with any of those things, I'm just used to doing them all myself so I don't even think to wait for him to do it lol.

• Personally, I think it's polite coming from both sexes. It's not like men are the only ones who hold the door open for people, and the ones who do aren't doing it because they think that they're somehow showing that they're stronger than the ladies. My boyfriend opens the door for me sometimes; I open the door for my boyfriend sometimes. It's just common courtesy!

• I think it's a very sweet gesture, and just common courtesy; I've held the door open for guys, does that mean I thought they were too stupid to open it themselves? Hell no, it's just a nice thing to do.

Personally, I love it when the guy does masculine things, and I play the part of more fragile/helpless and let him be a man.

• I don't mind it, and I do like it and I like chivalry.

I don't agree with HOW your professor said that, but to some degree he is right. Many of the "manners" of today have darker origins. Many of the things you do, like open the door,pull out the chair, fix things, were originally because it was thought that women were weaker.

They don't have those meanings and connotations today, so I don't take them to offense.

• I LOVE when a guy opens the door for me, it shows he is nice, and polite. :)

I open doors for people all the time because I'm polite.

• LOL, I appreciate good manners and politeness from anyone. I open doors for people all the time, just because it's a nice thing to do.

• For once, forget what you learned inside that class lol. Your parents taught you the proper etiquette. Yes, we women like to have our independence, but not to that extreme. We like to have polite gestures to show us that men respect us and care. It will Almost Always make a positive impression when you hold the door open for anyone.

• I just think the guy is like that with everyone

• Girls, come on! You know the real reason guys do that is to check out your behind as you're walking in front of them. Seriously, watch their eyes as you start forward through the doorway.

Same thing with a long flight upstairs -- "Ladies first," they're say. In truth they just want to smell you, see if you're in heat.

• Not my fault always in heat.

• QA, you're just too stupid to know when I'm making a joke. Maybe this little girl will clear things up --->

link

• No, I laughed at the first girl, then again at this one. But it's not much of a joke when you not only call someone a dumbass then a jackass, and then flip them off. Signs of you really being mad... But if you want to call that a joke then by all means go right ahead. All I have to say is. Nope, sorry maybe later, but thanks for the offer.

• I don't know what age she's living in. I hold open the door for men and women out of courtesy. I wouldn't like it if the person in front of me just let the door slam in my face. I actually get upset when some people do that. arg. So no, I don't have a problem with a guy doing that.

• I hate women like that who give feminism such a bad name... I consider myself a feminist and love when my guy holds open the door for me. And no, not because I'm "too weak" to do it (I doubt that ANY man thinks that who was born after 1950) but because it's a sign that he cares about me enough to do the simple task of opening a door and allowing me to go in first..

Men-Keep opening doors for your lady.. It shows that you're thinking of her. We need more simple chivalry in our society

• It is polite and common courtesy. I don't think men think that women aren't strong enough to do simple things like open a door for themselves, that's just silly

• I have heard that the last person who steps into a house/building is the person in power, (politicians do it all the time, fight over who walks in last). In that sense it does bug me a little bit when guys hold the door open just because I know I can do it myself, but it is a nice gesture.

• When you say it bugs you a bit when a guy opens a door when you can do it yourself, do you mean a guy who opens the door for you, if you guys were walking together, and it was his first reaction, or when a guy says. Here, let me get the door for you.. kind of thing?

• If he clearly goes in front of me to open the door, it would bother me...unless my hands were filled or what not. But if I were behind him and he would hold the door for me that's just nice.

• haha, the first one... that would be really creepy. Unless its your boyfriend... even then.. it could be cute, but it could also be strange since most people aren't like that normally... and only do it to try and impress someone.

• It makes me think he has good manners

• i like it when a guy does that for me.

• this, "professor", is screwing it up for a lot of other women.

• I never think of it in a weak way, I open the door for people of any age and gender out of manners / act of kindness.

• I don't have a problem with it

• I prefer a man with good manners and opening doors is good manners. Now if I am out in public and I have already opened a door I will make sure to keep it open for the person behind me as a sign of courtesy, so this is not a one way street with only guys opening doors for me. I also completely disagree with the assessment that it shows men believe women to be too weak to open a door. Come on, who really believes that.

If a guy was a sexist jerk, it would take more than opening a door for me for that to come out and I would not date or hang out with a sexist jerk. However, I don't care for guys who have no manners. I dated a guy who was completely ruined by female professors (supposedly) who told him that manners like this were sexist. I suspect he was just lazy and had gotten into a bad habit when he was young and never saw the point to get out of it. Considering how effeminate he turned out to be and pretty much void of masculine attributes, it was a real strike against him that he did not at least have good manners.

• I think it's really nice when guys open doors for me, and I don't feel degraded at all. Women who get all red in the face about that kind of stuff (IMHO) wish they could have been men. I don't think that men open doors for women because they think they can't do it themselves. It's out of respect, not disdain.

• Uh I don't care either way... I think its sweet and nice.. although I'll actually still oopen the door for a guy myself if I get to it first. that women has issues. Reminds me of that episode on south park where everyone got mad and where over compensating for a small penis, and a women was angry for a lack of. lol

What Guys Said 9

• LOL that is completely ridiculous I open doors for both men and women instinctively... I don't do it because I think I'm stronger than anybody else.

• It's just polite I would open it for anyone

• That teacher is a crazy bitch, I can tell you now. I hold the door for guys too. I don't think anyone of the guys or girls are too weak to hold it open. Just how courtesy is. Bitch need to learn some manners and stop assuming everything is a sexist attack on women.

Do me a favor, ask her if she thinks it's fair that equality grows more and more for women in the working world, but in the social world men are still treated unfairly. Ask her how she feels about how men are given a less acceptable wardrobe style, or how men are less likely to get a kid in a divorce or how men are ALWAYS expected to pay for the first date, initiate dates, initiate contact, and do all these things, yet also feel bad we do courtesy things like this. I want to know what she'll respond with.

• I will give you her answers in order of which you asked in. No, men are treated like gods getting with whatever girl they want. I had a comeback and got her to shut up on that one. Men are the ones who force upon the women to dress with all these different styles of wardrobes. Women, give birth so therefore the baby should be theirs. (weak argument for her easy comeback for me) Men don't have to pay for first date, they do it because they want to the woman to feel weak by not paying herself.

• True, that's why I don't give those girls a chance. I'm far from perfect, but I will treat a girl right and be loyal and loving and ya. Unlike the other douchebags who'll blow her off to go out to a strip club with their friends. So their fault for being like that and ending up with who they do.

• Right.

• I would have raised my hand and said all men don't. Next fallacy?

• I never open doors for girls, unless she opened for me 1st, well believe or not, many times a girl opened the door for me and also waited for me so I get out, but next time when I see these particular girls, I opened the door for them, because I can't be bad with a girl who is good with me, but if you tell me in general do you open doors for girls, HELL NO!

& About this extreme feminist you were talking about, with the no winning situation. If your so afraid from her, CALL ME! and show me where she is, and we will see if there will be no winning with this extreme feminist, if she doesn't comes out like a rat then SPIT AT MY FACE!

• The real question is, why are you taking a woman's studies class.

• I can only take up to 3 Pass/Fail classes as an undergrad, and this was the only one open for the semester.

• I don't open thgedoors for them.

Sometimes I even close the door in their faces, so they can prove to society they can open doors just as well as we guys do.

• She's just a stupid feminist. It's common courtesy to open doors for anyone, male or female

• I've actually seen some girls struggle with opening a door. However, I just do it to be polite.