Gone but never forgotten?

Is it possible to get over your first love? How do you forget about him? Or at least cope with the hear ache?

Most Helpful Guy

• My brother sums it up best for me - you never really stop loving.

My wife was my first everything in a woman, and we're getting divorced this August. It was a rough 4 months there, as I copied with her not loving me anymore, though I still loved her last Summer. I still loved her, but it started to fade until the romantic feelings were completely gone another 4 months later.

You begin to appreciate how much they taught you, both through love and through pain. You begin to realize more things about them that you did not like. Close friends and family can start to tell you how they really felt about your ex all along.

I wrote a story to help in my profile. I'm actually on this site to help people get over break-ups and to prevent them. It's a great way to learn that you are NOT alone and others have gone and are actually going through the same pain.

How I got through my soon-to-be-ex-wife no longer loving me was to focus on me. It's not selfish, it was actually a long time coming. I read books on topics I had avoided because it would require a lot of my mental energy. I stopped doing things that brought short-term enjoyment, but interrupted my life. I started talking with friends I haven't spoken to in years or spoken with family and friends on a quite scary personal level.

And, I just did things that were fun, but just for me. I watched movies that I wanted to watch, listened to LOTS of music and found a lot to help, especially newer stuff

Mat Kearney, Mumford & Sons, Passion Pit, Florence and the Machine, The Airborne Toxic Event, Eminem's newest CD - Recovery.

Now, I've moved on to focus on spirituality and being a great listener.

We are all great people, just not to each other sometimes. We are experience life in the way we want and in ways to make our own selves happy.

I wish you great joy sooner than you expect it again!

What Guys Said 3

• You don't forget. You just learn to live with them not being there anymore.

You never get over it, just learn to live with it.

• it get easier the more time has passed but I never forgot her really but I forgot how she made me feel and that's when I guess you have moved on when you have little emotions for them I guess

• You never really forget. It just gets less painful as the years slide by.

What Girls Said 4

• Of course it's possible but it's tough. The important thing is that it's takes TIME. It took me like 1 year to get over my first love. Shocking I know, but you know what, I'm completely over him now. I never ever thought it was possible but it is. I can testify to that. When moving on you need to erase this person from your life, from FB, or whatever. Seeing him especially in the early stages on things like pictures with other girls or wall posts or whatever is just unnecessary and a further sting to your heart. You don't need that so delete! Next you have to make sure that every time you think of them, you remember their bad things. So when you're thinking damn I miss him , you need to think , no wait he used to lie to me all the time!. Eventually it will become a habit. Don't dwell in your bed and sit around at home. Get out and meet as many guys as friggen possible! Party it up, buy a sexy new dress and killer heels and some new lingerie. Count your losses and say screw you whenever you think of him. He didn't deserve you anyway.

• You can get over the relationship with time, but I don't think you ever really forget your first love. Go out with your friends and try to distract yourself when you start thinking about him. It'll get easier with time, but I never forgot my first love.

• You'll never going to forget your first love but you'll move on. Give it time because you are trying to get over special of memories. Don't try to rush it and take your time.

• I forgot about him. The first love is never true love,more like puppy love