Whats your view on plastic surgery?

Just wondering what you think about it. Please be honest.

• There isn't anything wrong with it, I say go for it if that's what you want.
  • It's wrong, and shouldn't be allowed. You should be happy with what you look like.
I haven't put a 3rd choice on here because I want people to chose, between the two I have on there and not lake that easy way out, with an in between answer. I'm not asking if you would get it I'm asking if you think it's OK for other people to get it.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not wrong. It is not hurting anyone. I don't get what exactly is suppose to be wrong with it? And what makes it worse then any other surgery?

Waste of money? Considering how much money we waste on cellphones for example, I hear no one screaming how buying an iPhone is immoral. Superficial? How is it any more superficial then someone spending thousands of dollars on personal trainers and diet plans? God gave them bad metabolism and big bones, who are they to try and look like models?

I think I won't ever have a plastic surgery because even though I have some features I'm not entirely happy about, I think I look pretty overall and it is not worth the trouble. But I see nothing wrong with people who do it.

Some people really need these surgeries. For example: my brother had boobs trough most of he's youth and this left emotional scars on him. Yet he wasn't fat. I only wish my parents weren't such bigots and let him have the surgery before high school.

As for those whose opinion on their appearance is more subjective.. Yes that could be wasteful and it could be superficial. But who am I to criticize the way they spend THEIR hard earned money on something that will make THEM happy. I say anyone here who ever went out of their way to afford anything too expensive just for themselves is to shut up.

And when we talk about them not having a right to mess with their bodies because it is how God made them, or nature or whatever you believe in... >.>

How does a patient with an ill hearth since birth, dare to ask for a new heart? God gave them the one that should work for a certain period of time, the way He decided it to work.

No one sees any flaw in this logic?

• Buying an iphone is immoral! They were made by Chinese children in unsafe factories for dirt pay, and Steve Jobs is turning a blind eye to it.

link

• When I said iPhone, I was referring to something expensive that is not a real necessity. A mere example. Every other story regarding the "iPhone affair" is not to be taken into consideration because I was only referring to the price of the product.

But if we are to consider the Chinese children of course it is immoral, but also a whole different story.

What Guys Said 15

• Somehwere between A and B. I believe you should be happy with what you look like, but by no means is it wrong.

There are some people who lose their confidence and / or get clinically depressed and commit suicide because of their looks.

The only physical treatment to these people is plastic surgery. But for people with their sane minds, just thinking that their imperfections make them human (and therefore beautiful) should be the cure.

(lol this doesn't mean that sane people don't have plastic surgery. It just means they don't have to, but they choose the easy way out of their confidence issues.)

• I am from the UK- that is important in my argument- and against it, unless strictly necessary (e.g. after serious burn, re constructive after accident) for 3 main reasons.

1. It takes doctors, nurses and surgeons OUT of the NHS where they are able to help people. Although people say in plastic surgery they are self=employed, that is irrelevant. As they had the same training as normal drs etc and while they can swan about doing pointless and unnecessary operations, there are people waiting months in agony on waiting lists for other operations which they could be performing.

2. If anything does go wrong, they soon rush off to the NHS and expect any problems to be sorted on that.

3. From a personal point of view I think it is the most unnecessary thing someone can do. Everyone has their own body which has its good points as well as its flaws. By turning to cosmetic/plastic surgery, we are saying flaws are wrong and there is a "perfect" body- which there isnt. By making it the norm in society it stigmatises many and encourages people to be the same.

• This really needs a 3rd option as a sort or ''grey area'' (I didn't cast a vote because of this). I don't think you should get it just because you want your boobs or butt or nose of cheeks or neck or whatever to look better. But I think you should be able to get it if you have been in some sort of disfiguring accident. Or if you had a birth defect that affects your life in a negative way.

I guess its similar to the way I feel about abortion. Shouldn't be able to get it because you just want it but should be able to get it if you NEED it. And by "need" I don't count having an ''oops'' moment as a ''need'' moment. "Need" is if it endangers your life.

• Well those are two very narrow and shallow views.

What about ugly people who want to look better?

What about people who have deformaties who want to look normal?

What about the people who have lost limbs/faces in accidents?

• Umm, neither of those. I think it's pathetically shallow, waste of money, stupid that anyone would do it, but if it's their money, their body, and they are old enough to make that choice on their own, so be it.

• If you wanna waste your money on it, that's your deal. I don't think it should be outlawed or anything. It doesn't hurt anybody except possibly the person getting surgery and it's no different than saying dying your hair (other than being very invasive). But with that being said, it's definitely not anything I'd do.

• I am not for it if its for pure vanity. If you have a deviated septum and need surgery that's Ok. I think when you get down into all these enhancements it becomes unnatural and fake. That's why I am unnatracted to plastic surgery.

• i voted b, but I don't have a problem with somebody getting plastic surgery, but for things like breast implants and stuff to make their face look different, I really wish they wouldn't do that. I find them beautiful the way they are. But for things like babies born with cleft lip and stuff, they definitely need to get that fixed.

• if its not necessary for your health, then I think its wrong.

but to each their own, not my problem.

• Who the hell cares. It's YOUR money, do what you want with it.

• Cosmetic plastic surgery should be banned unless the person has had a major accident that disfigured them in some way. You don't get to say "I don't like my nose" and get it changed. that's ridiculous.

• You do, actually. Its a concept called Cosmetic Surgery.

• I was born ugly and it was downhill from there. if I had the money I'd ... I'd be a whole new person.

Redefine the term "body shop" and go on a spree. Ah that would make things so much better.

• nothing wrong with it

• It's unnecessary sometimes but if It's really needed then sure.

• Inam not a fan but if it makes you happy go for it.

• Addictive

What Girls Said 26

• cosmetic plastic surgery is silly. plastic surgery for other reasons... e.g. burn victims, etc. is a good thing.

• I personally don't think it's necessary unless somebody was in a horrific accident or something. My sister had to get plastic surgery when she was 4 or 5 because otherwise she would have had a huge scar on her face. In cases like that, or if you are born with some sort of disfigurement, I think it's perfectly acceptable. If you are doing it just because you don't like the way your nose looks, or whatever, then I think your money would be better spent on therapy to work out your issues. But then again, this is a free country and I don't have any say in what people do with their bodies.

• I can't pick either A or B. I don't agree with purely cosmetic plastic surgery, but I don't think it should be banned or anything. I don't think I'd ever go for it, and I do judge people who use it unnecessarily and excessively. I think they must be very insecure and vain, and it's not right. But who am I to tell other people how to live, right? If they have the money and the desire to do it, go for it. It's just not for me. I'm happy with the way I look - imperfections and all. :)

• I wouldn't get plastic surgery, but I think people should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies. And if that's what they want, so be it. It's no one else business.

• I think it's wrong if it's not for health reasons or for resons of a real abnormality (for example, some women only develop one breast). People can do what they want, it doesn't usually hurt anyone else so it's not that big a deal. But I tend to feel that spending so much money (not to mention the health and safety risks involved) for the sake of pure vanity is unethical and unjustified. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Everyone is unique and that's how it's supposed to be, it's what makes people beautiful and interesting. I hate that our society makes people want to go to such extreme measures in order to achieve some perfect Barbie doll ideal.

• Can't say I've ever considered getting it myself, what with all the riskiness and cost, but I think it's fine if other people want to get it. Although, I think people should prepare for it, mentally that is. Surgery can get horribly addictive, and if it goes wrong, your troubles are just going to get a hell of a lot worse. Take a year or so to think about it, make sure you research your surgeon thoroughly before going ahead with anything.

• I'd only approve of it if someone was in an accident or had a disease that mutated their body/face in some way and wanted to fix it or something... Otherwise plastic=not hot.

• I'm for it because I'm currently saving up for it.

• You go, girl. Frankly I don't know WHY. If that picture is really you then you're a hottie. Young, but very attractive. Still, if you think there's room for improvement... best wishes.

• There is nothing wrong with that!

Yeah, we are born as we were born, buteveryone has some little complex to themselfes. It could be a little mole to a whole leg.

But who said we are not able to fix it, to after feel more comfortable with ourselfes? =) Well, sometimes people are'nt very happy with the surgery, but I think most of the times ot ends up good.

• If you want to change your appearance, go for it. It doesn't really bother me. Sure, I think some people go way overboard with it, but that's their decision. Get plastic surgery if you want it - I don't plan on getting any myself.

• I don't really approve of plastic surgery- is unnatural and people should be fine the way they look naturally :) But I understand some people who have been in bad accidents may have it, but others who don't really need it I can't say I agree with. But if they want to have plastic surgery then let them I suppose :D

• Nothing wrong with it.

I'm not one of the typical GaG chicks with a foot up my ass about it. If you can afford it, get it.

• if you're willing to pay the money to change yourself.. then you must be genuinely unhappy... if you feel getting plastic surgery will make you happy then go for it... its your choice.. whatever the circumstances. no one should judge you

• Stupid and Fake.

• weell, if you go overboard like heidi montag that is just sad, but if you are doing it for medical reasons I see no problem.

• It's not wrong. If it makes someone more comfortable and confident in themselves, then more power to them.

• where is the happy medium?!?

• each to his own!

• It's your body, you have to live with it.

• I definitely think its okay for other people to get it. Heck I would if I could afford it. Not anything crazy, but not everyone is blessed with a perfect body. Even at a young age I had many issues that most people my age won't see till they are like 30-40. Is it wrong to want to have a chance at living your life carefree without the issues of getting older, especially if your body is older than your age, anyone who has the same issues as me knows what I am talking about.

So I definitely support it. I know some people go overboard, but that's why they need to be directed to a therapist before to ensure they are truly doing it for the right reasons :) That way we don't get people who have had too much.

• If you have the money and you want to change some flaws, go for it.

• If you're the one paying for it and putting yourself through the pain of surgery and recovery, why not? If it will make you feel better about a flaw that truly bothers you, then why not fix it?

I think that after I finish school I'm going to look into cohesive gel implants. I think you have to be 23 to get them anyway. My body would look amazing with big boobs. :(

• I appreciate the natural look on girls/guys.

• I think if you're insanely ugly and you feel super self conscious about it, and you have money to do it, then do it. Nothing wrong with trying to feel better about yourself. Do what you have to do. There're a lot of times where when I don't wear makeup or I don't wear good clothes, I feel less confident, So I take time to look good so I can be more confident. I do what I have to do.

• Yeah. That's what's stopping this insanely ugly and super self conscious person: MONEY.

If only...

• it's unnecessary and ridiculous how vain people are

• Vain? No. I'm one ugly bastard (serious my parents weren't married when I was born) and I'm ashamed of my looks (or lack of them). It's not vanity, but SANITY. I would love to be accepted by others instead of ridiculed.

Yeah I'm so ugly I shave in the dark

Children scream when I walk through the park

Clocks stop ticking and dogs start to bark

Whenever I'm around

-Shel Silverstein

• i don't think it shouldn't be allowed, but I do think you should be happy with the way you look. Unless its a bully victim, getting something changed, like ears that stick out. And also I think its OK with burn victims exc.

• Christ, I mean, you attractive people have no idea what it's like to live the life of an ugly person.

You figure you can go along being your own sexy self and we're supposed to accept ourselves too.

It ain't that easy, honey.