HELP!!! Need a more mature "look," how to get it? All answers are appreciated!

What makeup/hairstyles/clothes/jewelry could I wear to look more mature? I just turned 17, but I’d prefer to look about 20 since I’m in college, and for job interviews.

I’ve tried everything I know of, but I still get the “wow, you only look about 16.” I REALLY don’t want to have to say, “well, you’re not too far off” as I need to have the appearance of a mature young adult in order to be successful in my stage of life.

As to what I’m currently doing for job interviews, meetings & such….

Makeup: not much, just mascara and lipgloss, a little blush, and concealer if I get a pimple.

Hair: It’s very long—down to my elbows and layered. I usually wear it straight and down but not in my face. I manage to keep it neat, even at this length.

Clothes: Dress pants and a feminine top (no cleavage or open backs) and black closed-toe pumps. I am considering getting a pencil skirt but can’t decide whether or not to wear pantyhose…it seems that none of the younger women do it, but to me it looks more professional with than without.

Jewelry: one right hand ring (worn on the ring finger), small pearl dangles, and pearl necklace. Sometimes I will substitute gold studs and a conservative gold chain necklace. I only have one set of piercings in my earlobes.

Any suggestions? Advice from both girls and guys would be helpful! I have more pictures in my profile if that would help you to answer better. Lots of detail would be great!

Oh—I forgot to mention—(For makeup and color purposes) I am a natural redhead with golden brown eyes and fair skin. I have a few freckles also.

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, I think you'll be alright, actually more than alright. You have a great perception of how to dress for an interview, it sounds like.

I've given a few interviews and I've been through a ton. But just overall neatness is a big factor. Well, let me back up a little. When I was 18, I kept applying for a middle management retail job that paid well - it took seven times of applying and interviewing, and about six months of determination before I got the job. But I Got the job, because I kept trying for it. And honestly, going through more interviews helped me become comfortable with the interview process. So, back to how you dress, the way you dress is to get "your foot in the door"- it's going to make the person giving you the interview want to go through the interview process with you, and not cut it short. Now, if I was giving you an interview and you dressed like you describe, it sounds completely fine.

The thing that I really think that is important about an interview is how you wrap everything together, the way you dress and speak, the have to be uniform. Like, if you dress confidently, you want to speak confidently. If you start to get nervous at the interview, I'm going to think that learning how to do the job is going to give you some difficulties somewhere along the line.

Now, sometimes an interviewer will try to get you to talk about a negative situation to see how you handle pressure and stress, and things like that. This is usually when people get nervous - here's what you do so you seem more mature (and try not to make something up, try to tell a true story) - in a situation like this, talk about how a situation could of gotten worse, but you helped to make things right again. Here's an example:Question: "What 's one thing that affected/could of affected you last job in a negative way?" Answer: "well, at my last job there was an employee there and he had low moral and it was starting to spread amongst the rest of the employees. I talked to him about why it seemed like he didn't like work, and he was just bored. So I suggested to apply at a store he would like to work at, more suited to his interests. And he soon made the switch, and our work ran smoother without him, and he was happier at his other job.

Now, that would leave a good impression to me as an interviewer, and make you seem more mature. So it's not all in how you dress, it's the whole presentation of yourself. And that last example was just a piece of conversation that shows the level of a person's maturity in the work field.

*lol, this is also good: it's good to look up history on the company/school you're applying to and talk about how that relates to you, and your interests, and how you see yourself a year, two years, and so on, from the time you're applying. And going to a place to see how they dress, and you dress nice in similar colors to what the company requires, if the have a dress code. It looks like you already know the dress code when you get there

What Guys Said 6

• Ok my phone won't but tomorow I will go to the library and I can send you a message. Also you can send me one now and I will open it tomorow. Then I will have something to look forward to. Lol but yea its just cause this phone doesn't do it but tomorow I will do it from the computer. Feel free to send anything you think of tonight and I will see it just won't be able to open it till tomorow. You can click on the blue kev name and it will bring up my profile. Thanks a lot katie. Your advice is definitly appreciated :)

• Its me kev. You know me from this site. We have answerd a lot of each others questions. We never met. But remember I complimented your hair being gold and red. I am the football guy who told you about the sweetness factor with girls. And you answerd some of my questions. Maybe I put annonymous to much and forgot. You asked me what non sexual things guys liked about girls. And I told you the sweetness seacret basicly that guys don't admit it but we love sweet girls. The drawing of hearts and love letters. So no we have not met in reality I swear. But on this site we helped each other out a lot all though I was anon so much that that's probobly why you forgot. If there's anything else I can help you with let me know. I know a lot about the way guys think. Unfortunatly I don't know how women think. That's why I'm on this site I guess. Lol

• Oh ok, that explains things. I remember you now! Thanks for all your help. I will gladly return the favor if you have questions : )

• i didn't realize how smart you were katie. in college at 17 that's cool. ok its me kev. um I think that golds and greens go realy nice with a red head. gold earing will pick up the gold in your hair. and the greens go great with red. a green silk or cotten shirt. also browns look very nice. I think a cotten soft shirt would be nice. you seem like the perfect winter girlfriend. so I picture the fireplace setting and hot chocolate. did I tell you I love fireplaces and hot chocolate. lol well the color of the fire and the dark colors go great with your look. cause you have the highlight and contrast. golds highlight and browns and greens contrast. as crazy as it sounds a baggy shirt would look great on you. and green eye liner. to contrast the reds. and did you ever think of the evenstar pendent. its what Arwen wore in a very romantic seen in Lord of the rings. I think it would look great. it symbolizes imortality and is very feminin. maybe good luck too. hope I helped. see you katie

• Ok well I told you about the sweetness factor that guys seacretly like. My problem is I have no idea what women like about guys? Are there some seacrets you could tell me that women like about men? Are there things a man can do to turn a girl on? What do you like about guys? I will keep it seacret if its something you don't want out there. Thanx :)

• Why don't you send me a message and I'll tell you because this is getting rather long lol???

• when it comes to a job, women are just like men. I've had a lot of jobs. North to the future. if all fails, just be happy that you have the right to say what you want dress how you want as a woman all in the Union.

• Try stuffing your bra.

What Girls Said 10

• Make-up: Less is more, ecspeccially in job interviews. Concealer is fine, easy on the heavy eye make-up, and blush and toner is perfect if you're still dealing with teenaged-acne. Glossy lips is a little young, try instead some simple natural lipstick or even just some lipbalm to keep your lips looking their best.

Hair: The majority of older woman cut their hair short, simply because at their stage hair is too much of a hassle to deal with when they are so busy with other things in their life. As long as you keep the notation that your hair is easy to deal with and doesn't control your life, you'll be fine.

Clothing: As you age, more mature clothing is more acceptable for you, and I can understand wanting to dress more mature and older, but it is still important that you are only 17. Keeping simply to clean clothes that fit you and maybe throwing is some nice black dress pant and pumps should get you through easily.

Jewelry: Keep jewelry to a minimum, and know your style. Big chunky necklaces do NOT go with an already collared polo-shirt, and remember to keep your jewelry even. Meaning, I have both of my earlobes pierced and an extra ring in the left cartiledge; if you were me you'd drop the ring, and keep it simple.

Again, as I mentioned in the hair section of my answer, the key to looking mature is to present yourself as a well together, confident young lady, and that is not meaning that a whole portion of your life is spent on 'fashion,' as is with many teenaged girls just trying to be teenagers. Just taking this step to ask for advice that you're worried about not looking mature, proves that you are indeed very mature on the inside, so let that show in any interview, or class, etc. It is still important that you are only 17, people don't expect you to be any older than you are, just don't be any younger.

Good luck!

• I'm 16 years old and everyone I meet think I am at least 20 or older. I dress very mature for my age yet still extremely fashionable, this is exactly my forte!

Makeup: You mentioned you have freckles. Freckles are very cute, but unfortunately many people associate freckles with youth. First things first, you need eyeliner. It doesn't necessarily have to be thick.a thin black line on the top lid will a few coats of mascara will open up your eyes while still looking neat and professional. As for your face, a light powder foundation to dilute your freckles will make your skin look great. (Make sure the powder isn't dark, as you mentioned you have fair skin). A light pink or bronze blush swept up the cheek bone will make the cheek bones look higher and contour the face. This is very important because random blush on the cheeks will look rosy, again portraying youth.

Hair: I have as long of hair as you or maybe longer. When I had my interview for an internship (and all interviews for jobs I've had) I've worn my hair straight. I pull it back half up and make it poof with a clip. Important: do not just "poof" the bangs. again this looks youthful. Pull back exactly half the hair and poof it. Make sure your hair falls behind your back, leaving your neck and shoulders exposed. If you want "older" looking hair for the night time if you are going to a club, use this same still only curl it! Or bring all the hair down and do wild curls or crimps.

Clothes: MOST important. Dress pants are great. Make sure they fit! I'll-fitting pants are the epitome of youth. Make sure the length is perfect, and they aren't too wide. A feminine top is great, nothing with cleavage or backs as mentioned. Turtlenecks are a great option. again make sure they are fashionable and fit well. Material is very important. no thick cotton or polyester for interviews! Pencil skirts are great, make sure they hit right above the knee or you'll look like a nun. Make sure these fit snug but not skanky snug. Black closed pumps, or even leather boots look great. As for going out. I ALWAYS wear dresses and heels.wether I'm shopping or clubbing, I have a dress for every occasion. They really get you noticed. Not many young people wear them, so if you have the confidence to wear one, you obviously must be older! :) There are so many styles. I could write a 5 page paper on dresses.

Jewelry: Besides wedding rings, unless the ring is fancy and made to make a statement, rings are something kids wear. Pearl set and gold set look TOO old! Opt for more fashionable pieces, you'll look more in tact. people who wear "older" things tend to essentially look younger.

The most important part of your outfit: CONFIDENCE! I learned that walking with my hair hanging down my back, shoulders set back, head high, and a confident step make ALL the difference. I promise it will get you noticed! Confidence is really the best accessory.

I hope all this helped

• Looking at your pic you look realy young I'm sorry but you do. I mean you would not get served over here. though your points about fiting of clothes is right.

• It's an old picture. And it's not a full body shot. I'm tall. There is no need to defend myself, because I know I don't look young, but I assure you, I look much older than I am.

• not being rude, but you sound like you're almost trying a little too hard to look older. calm down!

makeup: I'd add just a little tawny-colored eye shadow in the crease of your eye, and a little brown eye liner on your upper lash line. to make your eyes pop out a little more...looks more professional. also nix the gloss and opt for a natural-colored lipstick, satin finish. bare escentuals lipstick in bread pudding is nice.

hair: if you're not willing to cut it off in an angled bob (which, in my opinion, makes everyone look just a little older), then definitely pull it back for interviews, and instead of straightening with a flatiron, blow-dry it straight and curl the ends, for a little natural-looking bend.

clothes: your clothes sound spot-on, and if you wear a skirt, you can actually wear opaque black hose instead of tan pantyhose...it's more fashion-forward (takes more confidence to pull off) and you won't look like a little girl in mommy's work clothes if you know what I mean.

jewelry: it's okay to be more fashionable with the jewelry...tasteful small chandelier earrings are fine, and you don't have to wear pearls if its not something you normally would. as long as your jewelry isn't flashy bling bling you should be fine.

you're on the right track, but adding a little more fashion and sophisticated style can up the ante and help you look at least 19 : )

• ok I look younger than I am so to combat it I have had my hair cut short it is now bobbed and I look more my age if not a bit older. as long hair made me look so cute and young I was fed up of being asked for my i.d.

as for make up don't try to hard just make it natural, I'm pale skinned too so I use a relay pale max factor foundation with a small amount of realy pale blusher from the 2000 range then for the eyes mascara small amount of eye liner then for the eyes a smal line of white under the eyebrows not bold just a small dab which blends into a nude skin tone then blend that into your bottom colour for me I use either a pale brown or two shades of pink blended together, you can play around with coulour to find what suits you. but that is my day make up. it covers my freckles but its still pale enough for it not to be too noticble. too much make up makes you look like a young person trying to look old. (bouncers always used to notice girls trying too hard.)

for clothes I would sugest you know the jumpers with inbuilt shirts. there is a nice one in republic at the mo (do you have republic in america?) I always used to go for a cute pair of pinstripe flares. or a skirt with black paterned tights to make it appear younger. new look always has a nice range of smart yet young clothes. (do you have newlook?)

as for jewelry I would wear simple studs with a white gold beaded necklace somthing simple. a simple chain is nice too.

• I know this is an old post, but I have to say that I'm almost 20 and just last week someone asked me if I'm 15. I don't think it's that unusual for a girl my age to be mistaken for a teenager.

It sounds like you're keeping your makeup and attire simple and professional, which is the best thing you can do. Other than that, just smile and say thanks if someone tells you that you look like you're 16; you don't even have to tell them your actual age.

• I am in my 30s and what I have found to look professional for a woman is to have nice foundation on the skin, eyeliner you can have it top and bottom, but try it just up the top sometimes, a little bit of lipstick, not to strong, eyebrows waxed, and a little blush. you don't necessarily need eye shadow. Hair, well long hair in a bun, looks great for professional interviews maybe with a few strands around the face, if you have a fringe keep it tidy.

Long pants, preferably black, or a straight skirt knee length, white shirt, maybe a dress jacket, stockings - black or beige and supportive black shoes, not necessarily high heels, high heels are good if you can walk right in them, a touch of a nice perfume is good too, but not too strong.

• Your picture doesn't look too young. You could easily be 20. Try not to keep your hair too long, but layers are always good for maturity. Don't cut it super short or you will look even younger. Also, bangs are a pretty bad idea if you want to look older. I think you're doing fine!

• Sometimes it's just in your face - and this is a good thing, imagine how great you'll look when you're 40 and and still have a youthful face! Everyone will be jealous. Nevertheless, there are a few things you can do to appear more mature. Wear eyeliner on the top and bottom of your lids along with the mascara, try some neutral, skin-tone eyeshadow, and use a nude-tone lipstick instead of lipgloss. You can also choose shirts with necklines or seams that accentuate nicely

• WEAR THE PENCIL SKIRT WITH TE TIGHTS WEAR YOU HAIR UP IN A NEAT LOOSE PONY TAIL WEAR ALOT OF MACARA AN A GOOD PEACHY BRONZY BLUSH. A GOOD LIP LINER W/MATCHING GLOSS AND A TIGHT COLLARD SHIRT AND MAKE SURE THE PANTYHOSE ARE NICE AND STRAIGHT!

• you just have to dress business like, and serious. suzy shier has a lot of business outfits, but it's good that you look young. or just hang out at a college and observe what those people wear