Dreadlocks: Hot or not?

OK, So Let me give you a brief story. I am a 20 year old black male in college. Body type is a little skinny, with little to none muscle here and there, so you can say petite. I am 5 ft 6in and I wear mainly t-shirts (although I am moving towards AE clothing lines) and baggy pants.My dating and hookup preference is more towards white girls. I am not too keen on black girls. This doesn't mean I am racist. I just feel I am more attracted and feel that I can click more to white girls. And plus they are a lot cuter.

Moving on: I have dreadlocks. About a little past my shoulders. I take care of them. I wash them, tend to them, Clean them on the daily basis. I also bleached the tips of them brown so they could have a bit of coloration and so I can stand out.

My Dilemma started out like this: Whenever I go to parties and whenever I try to get with a girl, and there is another guy doing the same thing, the other guy wins, even though he is either a.) unintelligent b.) Bad hygiene c.) pot head d.) an asshole e.) a sloppy drunk. I am not saying I am perfect, but I am a guy who has his own sense of style, brushes his teeth daily, smells good, smart, and does not do drugs, and the nicest person in the world. I would give anything, yet I always fail in getting in a relationship. It has been two years since I was in a relationship and I seem to fail somewhere. At another party, someone told me that its my dreadlocks that makes me unattractive, because all it really is is dead hair and dirty and messy, which is not true because I had a few girls tell me its the cleanest dreads they ever seen.

The question is: Do you think dreadlocks (preferably my dreadlocks I have described) are attractive? and if that is not the problem, then what is?

Most Helpful Guy

• You should definitely cut your dreads. I'm mixed, half black and half white; I had to make the same choice a couple years ago when I cut my hair. I was rockin braids for about 6 years throughout middleschool and high school and by the time I was a senior I just got rid of them. I used to dress with that American eagle preppy look but that's not a good look anymore. Now that I'm in college I just gravitated my wardrobe to be some nice v-necks, slim straight jeans and high tops basically. This is just what I pretty much wear, when it's nice out, but when it's hot I will switch it up to like a casual polo tee shirt with some flat-front khaki shorts and some mid top air max's. I'm not sayin this is the way you should dress but it's a direction you could go if you want to switch up your look. As for the reason why girls don't choose you I would have to guess is because you don't take risks. I get that feeling that you are "safe" because you don't get drunk and you don't do drugs. It feels like I wrote a novel so I don't wanna go on much longer. If you want more help just comment on here and I will chime in more.

• See, this is what I have noticed. When the guys I know take risks (more towards the drug line), they nail so many girls, they nail so many girls they don't have to work for it.

What Girls Said 13

• i have dated and had many friends with dreadlocks. I don't know what it it but I love them... if they are kept well. huge turn on.

it doesn't matter what other people think as long as you are comfortable with them and happy. people will always find something to judge

• I actually really like dreadlocks. Having them might limit your "dating pool" a bit because some people think they're gross, but I think your bad luck with girls is just randomly unfortunate, haha. Be patient, one day you'll stumble upon a girl who loves them.

• I'm not white but I saw a guy with shoulder length dreads with a white girl but I mostly see the guy with short hair I wish more guys with curly hair would grow their hair out..o well its their choice

• well maybe I can reverse what you said about black girls, and say maybe because you are black, the girls are not going for you...and generally dreads are not the nicest looking and are greasy, but if they are nicely done they can look good.

• I really love dreadlocks...and afros. My friends think I'm weird but I think they look nice. But try not to bleach anything, it looks better in dark brown.

• Personal Preference: Not hot!...sorry :/

• I prefer the side swept bangs thing but I looove playing with dreadlocks!

• They're OK but not what I prefer

• Hot since most of the guys I've seen in real life have cute faces

• Not link

• yeah...thats not what mines look like. Mines is actually clean and neat with only the tips bleached to brown...

• If you're a black guy that tries to be white and wants to date white girls, you probably shouldn't have dreads because they imply that you are rich into black culture and are either on the political black activist side or a thug. Those 2 scare white girls off also your body type is small and petite which is also a turn off. Not much you can do about your height but you could go to the gym

• Depends on what you look like.

Jason Momoa and Lenny Kravitz dreads are hot.. Little Wayne? not so much.

I agree with what someone else said. Everyone has their preferences. I'm sure there's a girl out there that'll love your dreads.

• Not really like it to be perfectly honest

What Guys Said 2

• Dreadlocks are really cool, man; let it become an identity of you. Surely loads of girls love it; and merely depends on personal preferences for those who do not.

• sooooo dreadful!

keep em dude. They're sweet.