I Think My Dad is Racist but My Mother is Black?

My father is White. My mother is Black. I love both of my parents. They love each other. But ever since I started dating he has wanted me to date white guys. But I don't like white guys. I like dark...tall...wave having...body on umph...bruthas. And that's all I date. My dad says he doesn't like it and never makes my boyfriends feel welcomed. My mom has even told me that she doesn't mind because my dad was a "one time white boy thing" he loves me and my twin sister both but he seems more pleased with her because she only dates white guys. I flock with "blackbirds" and her with "doves." I think he's racist...do you agree and if not...what is this?

Most Helpful Girl

• try to explain that just like he fell in love with your mother,you have a preference towards black guys,even if he continues bothering you-you're over 18,it's your life

What Guys Said 2

• I think you're trying to hard to be black with that "body on umph" comment which I have no idea what it even means.

Firstly, everyone is at least a little racist, unless they're blind and mentally handicap. I admit that your dad probably is a little bit racist against black guys, but that is just because of the common perception of them as horrible to girls.

Now I am not making any assumptions about your boyfriend, but when your father sees black guys as such, wouldn't it stand to reason that he would not want that for his daughter.

He's trying to look out for you, and if you keep bringing "bruthas" (implying that they are ghetto acting), then it only makes sense that he will not approve of them.

Racism works on a generalist basis, not an individual one (your black mom), but when you see the poster boy for the stereotype, one is lead to "connect the dots."

• Haha...you don't try...to be black. And "body on umph" is a phrase I made up lol. They're not ghetto...they're hood. They're different from the way I grew up and I like that. But I give them a lesson in respect before they even meet my dad. They pull they're pants up and everything. And he still doesn't like them lol.

• they aren't Disrespectful to my parents. Yeah he has the east coast slang that us country girls, we like. But he says yea ma'am no ma'am. Yes sir no sir...he nice to them.

• He says yes ma'am/sir no ma'am/sir. He's sweet.

• Maybe he believes in some of those stereotypes about black guys and doesn't want you to date a certain type. It could be that it is an insecurity thing he has. He is a white guy and you prefer black.

I'm not sure.

What Girls Said 6

• Yeah, at least somewhat. It doesn't sound like he has something against black people in general, but it seems he thinks there's something more preferable in white men compared to black men and that belief is likely based on some sort of stereotype he holds toward black men.

• Haha. I love him. He's just delusional!

• he might be... he definitely has a preference for you... I'm dealing with something similar. my mom's arab and my dad's white. my mom would drop dead if I ever brought a guy home that WASN'T 100% arab. now, she has no problem interacting with people of different cultures, she just strongly prefers me to end up with an arab guy. imo, a large part of her xenophobic. so I think that you're dad is somewhat racist, if that makes any sense...

• I honestly and truthfully don't think that your dad is racist, he probably doesn't like some of the attitudes and behavior s of the guys that you date. I'm sure if you brought home a ghetto white guy the same principle would apply. Parents also like to know that you find someone to reflect them, in that case your father is white so yeah, he wants you to be with someone similar to him.

• maybe because he wants you to have beautiful mixed babies ;)

• Probably. But I can't explain why. There was this guy in high school that was white and liked black girls. And was racist. So weird. He even said to me that I probably taste good.

I've seen a few talk shows about this subject too.

• Wow that's funny but that actually is more common than you think. My family is kind of similar because my mom is mixed and my dad is black and he can't stand most white people lol. I also know of white girls who date black men but can't stand black women. You'd think racist people would only stick to their race, but that isn't true. Sometimes they may fall for someone of another race if they believe that person to be the "exception" to the rule. Like he may not like black people as a whole but he might think your mother is "not like the rest of them". That's just his way of thinking and I don't think there is much you can do to change it. You know your dad better than anyone else so if you think he's racist he probably is. There are different degrees of racism. You don't have to be a neo-nazi militant klan member to be a racist, that's the extreme form of racism. On the racism scale of 1-10 (1 being not racist at all and 10 being David Duke) your dad might be a 3 or 4.

• I'm kinda concerned that he feels that way. I think ge should see like therapist or something.

• See I don't understand that mentally with most white women dating black men but hating black women, because where did the black man stem from? Did he just drop from a coconut tree? It was a black woman that pushed her son out into the world. If that's that case then black women should start aborting their black male babies then there won't be any for white women to have end of. People should hate people because of their bad attitudes not their skin colour!

• What?!...I'm not white and I don't hate black men. Was that a like by the way point you were making?