Why do so many girls have so much makeup?

My girlfriend watches these videos on youtube sometimes - of girls making some tutorials or showing what they bought. They have SO MUCH make up!

And it's really expensive! My entire wardrobe probably couldn't come close (price wise) to those girls' make up collection.

All of those girls are from USA or Great Britain. What's up with that?

Why do some girls spend so much on make up?

I don't think it's worth it.

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot of those girls buy a TONE of make up but they never use it up! They just buy and buy more and more. I think it's really unreasonable and quite frankly, wasteful. And what's even worse, those that buy it from their parent's money. What kind of parents let their children become so spoiled? I don't understand it at all. I do wear make up but I only have what I'm currently using. I don't buy until I run out of something.

What Girls Said 20

• I have watched a few of those. There are some really talented makeup people out there. I know what you mean, some people have a lot of makeup, and it is expensive. Especially if you buy MAC cosmetics or a really good name brand of makeup. Some girls really like to keep up their appearances so they buy a bunch of makeup. They also may like to experiment with different looks. Plus different seasons require different types of makeup (like summer you want a bronzer or more natural light makeup, vs winter where you want heavier colours).

I don't have that much makeup, I don't know how some people can afford it, it's incredibly expensive. I just stick to basic stuff like mascara, foundation and some eyeliners and eye shadow.

I think it really comes down to what is important. I don't spend that much money on makeup, I would rather put that into other things that I feel are more important. Some people see makeup as being highly important. Especially if they are hoping to become a makeup artist someday, gotta practice somehow. Plus the girls and guys who do the tutorials on youtube need to be up on the most recent products and techniques, so they need a lot of makeup. But I'm sure most if not all of them don't use it all. It is pretty wasteful, but hey, it's their money :P

• Many YouTube makeup artists are professionals, some get makeup sent to them free or discounted for the purpose of advertising reviews, and others have the money to spend on it and a passion for it. You might not think it's worth it, but some of us are interested in it and enjoy it.

People have different things they spend money on that others may not understand. If you have a passion for something then you'll make it a priority. I don't understand techies, model airplaine enthusiasts, and people who buy everything Apple has ever created but everyone has their "thing". No need to judge.

• I used wear a lot when I was younger but I love being more natural now, I think though when you're going to go out with girlfriends getting ready and dolled up can be lots of fun, I understand why she would want better quality/more expensive makeup, because cheaper makeup can really be bad for your skin or have more bad chemicals in it. Overall too much is bad and I thinks it's funny she watches vids on youtube but it just seems like something she's really into, I mean natural is better but it can be fun doing crazy eye makeup or what not, plus some people just really like to look nice which is fine to a certain extent as long as she is not obsessed with her looks and makeup, I don't know she's a girl and I think it's fine she's into makeup, it's like guys with p*rn, they're really into it, not as expensive as makeup, but it's a guy thing.

• Make up is fun. I like watching the tutorials and trying on the different looks because they're interesting.

However, I agree that a lot of times the makeup is a bit over the top. I usually try to do a less dramatic version of whatever I try on myself.

• Because as females we are taught to look pretty and young and stupid us have also been taught you get what you pay for although I only spend about 30 a month on make up but we believe $$ equals Pretty and young looking and as for the amount of make up we use it is told it makes us look young and pretty

• i barley wear any makeup I only wear a little eyeliner... I have a friend who has 3 whole drawers of makeup in her desk... I don't really knw why so many girls in America and Great Britan wear that much.. I guess some girls wear it because they are uncomfortable with their appearence and they feel better with it on... I personaly don't wear that much cause I play a lot of sports so I don't have that much time to worry that much about it

• Expensive makeup tends to be of better quality and last longer, not to mention girls are always looking for the perfect makeup that fits their skin type, skin tone and can accentuate their features or allow them to play around with makeup.

For some people, money isn't an issue.

And looks are just about everything in todays society

• I usually just wear mascara. And sometimes mascara and eyeliner. But I buy the drugstore kind so I'm wasting a ton of money on it. Some girls buy the expensive brands but it's such a waste because MOST PEOPLE CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE WHEN IT'S ON YOUR FACE!

I also hate it when people wear a lot of foundation and concealer, especially when they have fairly good skin. You're just caking your face with junk...most girls look prettier and more natural without them, in my opinion.

But the makeup tutorials are fun to watch. It's entertaining and harmless as long as you don't copy some of the dramatic makeup styles. Leave those for nights out or Halloween.

• For it to come in handy when they need it. They are so many types of makeup and girls like to have multiples. I don't wear a lot but I own alot. And mostly because I never ask for it a ton just comes in around Christmas time from aunts and uncles who don't know what I like (:

• Because it's fuuun. I like making my eyes stick out with eye-shadow. D:

• I admit some girls do wear a lot of makeup, maybe they feel self-conscious. This may be because they find that boys like girls who look pretty and they feel the need to use makeup because they think that's what you want. But not all make up is bad. I occasionally wear light makeup. Its nice to look and feel your best sometimes.

• i love watching makeup tutorials. the transformations are amazing. but the only thing I wear on a daily basis is eyeliner. and most of my friends don't wear that much makeup either.

• I don't like wearing much make up, but I do like it because it's fun and makes me look better.

• i always watch the youtube videos but I only wear liquid liner and mascara, I have a whole draw full of lipglosses and mascara just a habbbi to buy more but I'm still on the same product now for 7 months

• I'm too lazy to put on makeup

• why not? you're dressing up. it's fun

• Why does it matter to you what a girl spends her money on with her own money?

I don't have a massive makeup collection, but when I find a good quality product that I like and don't want to run out of, I buy a backup of it. I have a $34 Cargo Blu Ray Pressed Powder that is the best powder I've ever come across. I have multiple brushes, foundations, blushes, bronzers and eyeshadows that range from drugstore prices to Ulta/Mac/Sephora caliber.

Some girls like makeup, some girls like shoes, some like video games, some like riding horses... Some like nothing or everything. It's really not a big deal. Having and wearing expensive makeup doesn't make you a bad person.

• I watch those youtube videos I love makeup. I don't have money to buy chanel but whatever its a form of art in my opinion. I'm not a cake facer but its fun. (:

• Because I have really ugly skin and I'd feel ugly all day without make up.

• I don't wear makeup at all.

What Guys Said 4

• It's easier than developing a personality?

• America is all about uber consumerism and looking the "best". I personally think that a natural girl looks so much better.

• I'm with you on this one...

• you know I think girls are attractive even if they don't wear a lot of makeup, I'm not saying they don't need any to make themselfs attractive, I'm saying they don't need to wear a ton of it. Girls are attractive even without makeup.