Is it a turn-off if a girl has artificially highlighted hair?

I'm tired of having hair that's not quite blond and not quite brown,

Like this: link (flattering picture, I know)

So I want to add a few highlights, but would that be a turn-off since they're not natural?

Oh, and gals, how hard is maintenance?

Most Helpful Girl

• no guy is going to be like "oh she's fake and artificial because she highlighted her hair, I could never date a girl like that". I think your hair is pretty though, I thought you already highlighted it in that pic. a lot of people are doing that ombre look and that's what your hair looks like

What Guys Said 7

• I don't think I would care if she added highlights, probably wouldn't give it much thought. So its not big deal to me. Its your hair, your choice ... please don't die it a weird color like green or pink though.

• You're very pretty just as you are. I wouldn't change anything if it were me ;)

Not a turn off or a turn on.

• It's only a bad thing (for me, at least) if it's in a color like blue or green, something that's not usually found on people's heads. Otherwise, it can look pretty good.

• Turn off? Na, I don't think any guy would not date you if they liked you just because of your hair. I wouldn't worry about it.

• i think your hair looks good the way it is, not a fan of fake looking things like highlights or dyed hair or tons of makeup, or especially plastic surgery

• No. I couldn't care less.

• Whenever I see roots, I think rocker/metal girl. I like it, but I know some people especially women are aghast.

What Girls Said 5

• I have black hair and red (organic) highlights. The highlights stays for a long time, even as long as year (if the colors are common hair color like blond, brunette, red and black). Blue, purple, pink, etc. will last 3 months at the most (but by then, it's so faded you can barely see it. I highlighted my hair purple and pink in 10th grade...it was fun the first two months but since my hair is so dark, I have to bleach my hair in order for the pink and purple to show. For the next 10 months, I have white stripes of hair and people constantly ask me if I have gray hair...makes me so insecure) :(

But your hair is light so you can go anyway you want. But I would recommend that you stick to blond, light/golden brown or maybe strawberry blond highlights. You don't want to be too dramatic and over the top. Choose what looks good on you. Oh, ASK FOR ORGANIC DYE, it's less damaging to your hair. As for maintenance, there really isn't anything you need to pay attention to, it's color, not a perm.

I hope this helps! :)

• i like your hair the way it is,don't create a pain in your ass for nothing,i mean I'm all for coloring hair,but in this case it won't make much of a difference so it's just a waste of money and time

• I have dirty blone hair and really blond highlights. (Look at my profile picture) I always get complimented on how natural and healthy my hair looks...even though it's been bleached so many times and dyed. It just depends on who does your hair. Maintenance shouldn't be too bad as long as you don't get a color that is too different from your natural color. It can get expensive though depending on the salon.

• virtually every girl has done something "artificial" to her hair. no biggie

• Highlights look awesome. I did it before and everybody loved it. Just make sure to let a professional do it for you.