Girls with short hair, do you ever have problems with greasiness?

When my hair was long it only ever got greasy if I used too much product.

Now that it's short, my hair is greasy all the time. I stopped using conditioner and all products all together just in case and now I *only* use shampoo, but it's still greasy as hell.

Do any other short haired girls have this problem? What can I do about it?

Most Helpful Girl

• My hair gets greasy if I use the regular shampoos they sell with sodium laureth sulfate or similar things in them. Most shampoos are way too strong and detergent and stripping, so they force the hair to make more oil, and the scalp wants to protect itself.

I switched to much gentler shampoo from the health food store and it solved the problem. The brands I like so far are Shikai and Jason. They cost a bit more, but once your hair gets used to it, you don't have to use a lot. Also, I actually put in some leave in conditioner and it also helps.

So yeah, the problem might actually be that the shampoo is overdrying and causing your scalp to overcompensate by making your hair more greasy.

Another thing I tried that helped was not using any shampoo a couple of times, and only using conditioner and just washing that out.

What Guys Said 4

• A while ago, I read an article (don't remind where) that said that grease was normal and protected (moistened) the hair. It comes from the scalp and runs down along the hair. The coat is usually thin so that your hair just look "not dry" -that's why curly hair look drier. Maybe your problem is that your scalp produce the same amount of grease than before but as your hair is shorter it is less spread out.

PS: sorry for that English.

• my hair is about an inch long and it gets greasy if I don't wash it with shampoo, but if I do, then it stays non-greasy... It gets greasy more easily as it's close to the scalp

• 0|0
    • I am glad that one users answer got deleted..he is a troll..just do not pay attention to guys like him...

• Should also mention that the more you do to your hair..the more it becomes dirtier (oilier) and deader (is that a word?)...try not to color it so much..and make sure you are taking relatively good care of it other than the oiliness...

• Comb it more.

• What does combing it have to do with greasiness? I comb it about every 15 or 20 minutes, btw.

• I just saw that yours is greasy at the ends. That's backwards from mine when it was oily.

• Frankly, oily hair was a problem for me all throughout my school years, I finally gave up and grew my hair long in part to have a place to put all the grease.

What Girls Said 7

• Sometimes if I am in a bind, and my hair feels greasy, I dust baby powder on it and brush it through. It makes it smell fresh and absorbs the grease.

I don't get too greasy, but, when I go a day in between showers, and its going on day 2 ( when I intend on showering that night) I may notice my hair feels greasy if I've used that many products.

• you're probably just noticing it now cause your hair is now more ''roots'' than ''ends'' and roots get greasy easier cause they're closer to the scalp. but I haven't really had that problem,but I wash my hair every day or two (tho that's not healthy) so I can't really say,but maybe you should stop coloring/ironing/curling your hair?

• yeaah! only after a day though not like after I get out of the shower of something.. but when it does get greasy.. I put baby powder in it.. yeah it seems gross and stinky and what not but it sure does a great job of keeping it non greasy looking.. :P but I don't put too much cos it looks dry and stuff..

• How does it get greasy at the ends if the oils originate from the scalp at the roots ha

• Use less shampoo...

• Have you tried dry shampoo..the spray?I find it works,either Batiste spray or Tresemme...I have the same problem I don't even use a conditioner. I use cheap Pears clarifying shampoo and it helps get rid of the grease.Always use a clarifying shampoo and conditioner to get rid of the grease.And try avoid oily foods!

• and if you do need to use conditioner,never put it on the roots of your hair,only put shampoo there.

• A lot of products have waxes in them and over time they can leave a residue on your hair. Does its feel greasy/waxy even right after you wash it and it dries? If it does you need a clarifying shampoo. I use one by neutrogena (called anti-residue shampoo and Its only 6 bucks) and it works great.

• Good advice, thanks.

• no problem. I had the same thing and thought something was wrong with my hair. The anti-residue shampoo fixed it after like one use.