Why do people assume that good looking people must be jerks/bitches?

Are there no unattractive and average jerks and bitches out there?

I haven't rated anyone's answer. I don't rate people's answers on questions that I ask, I only choose best answer. So if you get up or down ratings, it wasn't from me :)

Most Helpful Guy

• You have to admit, good looking people have a distinct advantage in society over the average to below average population. They grow up knowing that they soak up all the attention in the room. They know how to push the boundaries of personal conduct. They can get away with being crass, rude, you name it. Why? Because they look good. Step aside if you don't like it. Plenty of people are waiting in line ready to roll the dice. If an ugly person craps out, so what? You're pretty, they're not. It's that simple.

When it comes to getting jobs, casting, advertising, dating profiles, whatever social outlet you can think of, the pretty people get dibs on the prime cuts. Because nobody is looking at the ugly guy in the corner, no, not yet. The pretty people get to blow their chance first. The ugly person comes second at best.

All that said, yeah, not every good-looking person is arrogant. I know plenty of stunningly attractive girls with a nice string of morals leading them along life, and there isn't a more beautiful sight in the world. It's not right to generalize, but to suggest that good looking people are not prone to arrogance is wishful thinking. Most are, because they can get away with it. That's life, and to be honest, I could care less if an uglier person was just as much of a jerk. They were born at a disadvantage relative to the society we live in.

• Of course someone disagrees. I sure hope it wasn't the respectful mod who would never bitterly post a question in search of ONLY concurring responses.

• Unassailable case made.

• Good to know!

What Guys Said 10

• There are plenty of attractive people who aren't jerks and such. But I'm sure most of this stems from both stereotypes and media. Even in the movies and such people are given these stereotypes. Ironically, my sister is watching the Princess Diaries right now. This is after Anne Hathaway is all prettied up and stuff, but I'm sure you've seen the movie, and in the beginning, she was portrayed as the nice girl while the other girls are all stuck up and such. People see stuff like this and play the part. There's also problems with peer pressure and such. Frat boys each day grow to be more arrogant (on a stereotypical basis) and are often times more jerks. I must admit though... I don't see many "unattractive guys" in a fraternity. Or nerds, unless its an honorary Frat. So people just see guys with pop collars and think, "Tool."

Then there are the high school and middle school fights. They're really petty, but is it not true, that if there is a girl (usually popular and usually pretty) who fights with another girl... that if the opportunity to use an insult based on how ugly the other person is... she will use it? Unattractive people can be rude too... but you will never see them say, "You're so dam pretty" as an insult. So the thought of relating "unattractive people" to being a jerk based on looks... just doesn't connect. Instead we just say they're jealous. Which leads to my question... "Are all unattractive people jealous or discontent?" See how I did that? :)

• yes, there are plenty. it's a lame generalization (when is one not?) made by people who think there "bad" looks are holding them back in life.

• I've met a really really hot chick (she was probably 16 or 17) in a club and I was stoned. I do remember, when speaking of dietary stuff (we gave her our joint, so we spoke of all sorts of things), she said she was a vegetarian. We told her we humans are omnivores, she confused the term with cannibalism (om = human in my language).

• Actually, sometimes it's the other way around: link

Applying a preference towards "people we find more attractive" while dismiss people and attribute negative qualities for those who don't seem as likeable. It's "common human nature", according to some psychologists.

However, the accusation for "good looking people" that they're jerks or bitches often stems from jealousy and competitiveness, though I am fairly certain it just depends on what we deem "good looking", really. I used to believe everyone who used makeup on their eyes was a slut, for example. Obviously that is not true, but hey... Some might think that there are people who exploit and manipulate others merely through the positive attention they receive merely for their looks, and abuse the hell out of others. And thus, this stereotype is made.

• Attractive people tend to get full of themselves, and don't understand how hard it is to be unattractive. Unattractive people get stereotyped all the time as well.

• There are all kinds of jerks out there. But I know what you mean, if you are thought of as handsome/pretty most people just assume you are a tool or a**hole.

• Because generally, the people I've met that are good looking behave like that. Stereotype, though it saved me a lot of trouble avoiding those people.

• jerks and bitches come in all shapes an sizes, and looks ugly or not

• I actually find that unattractive guys/girls are a lot meaner than the attractive jerks/bitches. That's just what I've experienced though. I'm not generalizing or saying it's one way or the other. .

• Have you seen the amount of good looking people on here...who happen to be bitches/a**holes...that is why...

• pretty people problems. XD

What Girls Said 7

• Probably because when I was in school I was treated rudely by the popular girls who were all really really pretty. So sometimes I see girls who remind me of them, and I tend to judge. I have been proven wrong numerous times.

• I honestly have no idea, I find people always assume I'm some stuck up bitch just because I care about my appearance and this mainly comes across in a very rude manner from always less attractive people (basically I get what you are saying). I think a larger percent of unattractive people are the jerks and bitches and then they are the ones that assume the good looking people are.

• No idea.

• I think TV and movies can be to blame for this.

• Ofcourse there are unattractive jerks out there. "Appearences are deceiving" that's all.

• When people are more attractive, they develop what I call "haters". And those "haters" like to give attractive people or successful people bad names.

But of course there are unattractive and average-looking jerks and bitches out there. They are just less noticeable.

• Who disagrees?

• Haters gonna hate.

• ya

• Because In MY experience...you are more likely to meet an attractive egotistical jerk as to an ugly one because it is easier for them to get away with it and still be liked...not saying there are no unattractive jerks or anything like that, but in my experience I have met more people that were attractive, with bad attitudes...some people let it get to their heads and majority of people find it easier to just put everyone into categories and groups

• It's just different kinds of 'jerki/bitchi'ness when you're talking about pretty vs. ugly people.

• Sometimes lol