If you hired a company to change the locks in your house, and they sent over a bald-headed tattooed guy.....

that looked like he could be a gang member, would you be worried? Would you replace the new locks after the locksmith guy left for fear that he might be a criminal that now has access to your house? Would you not have a problem with it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol, I'm sure it happens, but that seems like it would be so cliche. Like of cooooourse the tattooed dude working for the locksmith place is just biding his time to break into your house after he does your locks, rape you, and steal all your s.hit, hahah. When really, if anyone was going to do that and expect to get away with it, it would be the 'normal' dudes. And they'd be smart in choosing a 'normal' look if they were going to do s.hit like that, because people wouldn't expect it from them, they'd be trusted. Everyone's gonna suspect the tattooed guy, that's just the way most people think. I probably wouldn't even consider that unless his tats were known prison/gang tattoos. Even if he WAS a criminal, that doesn't mean he is now, so he might know useful s.hit about locks that 'most people' don't, that would be helpful. =P Hahah.

Maybe I'm biased though [or is it less biased?] because I've been around 'tough tattooed guys' my whole life. I didn't grow up fearing them all as criminals like a lot of people did, haha. They were always my parents' friends, my uncle, my godfather, etc, and pretty much just like any other dude, if not a little more crude in their humor, lol. I've known plenty of 'normal' looking people with 'normal' jobs to be criminals, haha.

• "And they'd be smart"

You might be giving them too much credit

• bwahahahahahah

• I suppose so. But what *I* think when I do something different to my appearance matters most. What others will think is generally a very distant second, lol.

What Girls Said 18

• No I would not be worried. So many people have tattoos now a days, they are more of an expression thing than an indication of someone's criminal history or lack there of. I wouldn't be scared. I'm sure the company has to check people's history. No matter who they send over, I am sure it will be someone who knows what they are doing and isn't interested in stealing my stuff. If they do, well that's what the law is for :P I'm not too worried. Material items can be replaced, and if it's something that important, I would keep it in a safety deposit box.

• I wouldn't have a problem with it, the guy who pierced my bellybutton and both guys who did my tattoos looked scary (piercings and tattoos everywhere) but they were all really nice. I'm not gonna judge someone just because they have a ton of tattoos, especially cause having tattoos and not looking like most people do doesn't make you a criminal. There are plenty of "normal" looking people who commit crimes everyday.

• "I'm not gonna judge someone just because they have a ton of tattoos"

Are you being 100% honest with me here? You might try to not judge them, but I somehow think that all that political correctness would go right out the window if you were alone and saw a guy like that on a deserted side street in the city at night. I think you'd immediately try to find the nearest clean-cut man in a suit so that you would feel safer. What do you think?

• If I'm alone at night in the city I avoid any guy, no matter how he looks. The last job I had I was leaving the city late and had to take the train back and while I was waiting I'd always wait near another girl or alone and I wouldn't do anything while I was waiting (no book, iPod, cell phone etc.). And I've been creeped out by normal looking guys before. Earlier this year I was holding a cab while one of my friends was getting one of our friends who wash trashed away from teh bar and into

• a cab when out of nowhere this guy came up to me, who looks just like any ordinary guy on the street, he got way closer than I would've like him to be and was talking and looking at me in a way that me uncomfortable, I was so happy to see my friends and get away from him. Guys that are gonna make me apprehensive are guys look stung out or have that hardened look about them where you get that feeling where there's not a whole lot they wouldn't do

• Sounds kind of like the movie Crash. I wouldn't re-replace them. I've grown up with people with tattoos and piercings. People have different styles, they should be condemned on the way they look.

I've been followed around a store before by a little old lady because she thought I was going to steal, at the time I had a fohawk and my eye brow pierced. Things like that used to drive me insane.

• No, I wouldn't have a problem with it because I would have called a reliable locksmith that I have always used before & known with a good reputation. I would also stay right there with him, talk with him & get all of the keys. Not to mention, I always buy the locks & keys myself, I do not purchase them from the locksmith, so there is no way this could happen.

If I need extra keys, I have them made elsewhere. Again, that way, no one can get a copy. I watch the person make the key(s) in front of me. I know the people who make the keys.

Always use BBB businesses.

• I would probably think he was hot.

• I wouldn't even open the door on him, wondering if he was pretending to be the contractor. I'd shout through the window, "You look a lot like the garbage truck driver for some reason. . ."

"Yo, lady, I don't do that no more," he'd say with gangsta hand gestures and a New York accent.

"Are your fingers stuck in the victory sign or you some kind of vulcan gangsta?"

"Bitch you crazy!"

"I know. But you should meet my brother Billy, he's a crazed butcher who keeps firing the shotgun in the house, something about pink elephants. Maybe you can help him?"

"I'm outta here!"

• "hand gestures and a New York accent."

Sounds like you are talking about me.

• I didn't think it was too hard to tell the difference between a Dutch person and a Deutsch person, especially when you go to Amsterdam and all of the guys there are 6'5" with long blond hair.

• There is that. Hitler's "blonde hair, blue eye" master race breed was not a natural german characteristic, so that won't always sell with the right people. Hell, even his generals were pist about that since they didn't all fit that make up.

• haha, yeah I'd probaly change the locks again but that's just me because I'm a girl. haha, you are brillant, I would have a problem don't take me wrong I'm not usually suspicous of people but now I have this doubt in the back of my mind, thanks

• I'd have no problem with it... Never judge a book by its cover and all that sh*t. And if it's that much of a problem, learn to change them yourself. It's easy.

• No these people have to be bondable to even get a job like that. I cleaned houses years ago and I had to bondable.

• lol this is a brilliant question! but to be honest you can tell by the guy by the way he talks to you or his manner, it depends like - I wouldn't be too worried id do my research before I would pick a certain company to do the locks that way you can have a back up sort of .. like reviews ? talk to others and stuff .

• i know right this is the smartest and wittiest thing ever

• lol ..i think I would be kind of bothered by him.

• I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as I trust the company.

• I would be scared. And I wouldn't use that company anymore. And yes I would replace the locks after he left.

• Changing a lock yourself isn't really THAT difficult. I've done it a few times, actually. The only time I use a locksmith is when I lock myyself out and have no other way to get in. I don't get spares made by them either. :)

• no, but I'll keep my distance :)

• I'd have an issue with it, he looks like a damn thug why would I want him in my house knowing my locks?

• I don't judge someone based on whether or not they have hair or tattoos.

• Not gonna lie, I'll be a little bit apprehensive, but I wouldn't send him away

What Guys Said 9

• Ok, speaking in hypotheticals...

Maybe he *was* a criminal. Maybe he broke *into* houses, and jimmied locks. So he'd probably know a thing or two about which locks were good ones and which weren't. I'd trust his opinion over others in such matters. ;)

• "I'd trust his opinion"

Yeah, but the main point of the question is would you trust his intention?

• This sounds like a scene from the movie Crash. It's a good movie I like how it's based on people's views and how they stereotype other races and really shows the dangers or racism. Either way I wouldn't do it. If the company hired him and still has him working it's for a reason and he must not be doing anything wrong if he's still working with them.

• "he must not be doing anything wrong if he's still working with them."

HA, that's funny. My dad is a commercial freight truck driver that has been working for the same company for about 15 yrs, and every time I see him he has new electronics, computers, TVs, etc. ...but I bet he is doing nothing wrong and it's all a coincidence since he still works there.

• Yeah,it must be a coincidence. Lol

• Lets be honest here , if anybody wants to get in to you house , he probably will do so anyway you lock it , but if you are so uneasy with it why don't you change the locks by your self?

• The only sure fire way to ensure a criminal didn't change your locks is by doing it yourself. Why? Because you can't tell by a person being bald-headed with a tattoo if he has a criminal past. Who is a criminal? You'll be really surprised. Look left, look right, it's people who look like you and me! And not always the bald-headed tattooed guy.

• The mechanic that fixes the machines in my cafe is an ex Aryan Brotherhood member covered in tattoos with an SS tattoo on his ear lobe, yet he is one of the nicest guys I have ever met and wouldn't hesitate to give you the shirt off his back.

In short, don't judge a book by it's cover, yeah? ;)

• Oh, well since you barely know one guy that you think goes against the stereotype then that negates everything. Job well done.

• Oh I'm sorry, your prejudicial reaction to a single INDIVIDUAL who is counter-culture is far better suited.

Can I group you with Nazi's or the KKK because you fall into the stereotype of condescending, elitist, narrow-minded, intolerant and overly judgmental cretins? No, I can't, because regardless of an INDIVIDUAL'S similarity or conformity to a set social presets, they are still an INDIVIDUAL.

You sir are what cause stereotypes to live on until this day. Job well done.

• My opinion of your original answer remains.

• No only unless he gave me a reason I should be worried. Plus I have a couple guns right under my bed so if I heard something in the house I wouldn't hesitate to protect myself.

• i get where your coming from...might be a tad intimidating, but you never know... he could be a Hell's Angel, or the guy could be a Sunday school teacher... caint judge a book by its cover

• no because if he was hired, its because he has good rep.

• Well it depends sometime you may feel so, but if you preferred well reputed locksmiths you don't have to worry about it at all. As you have called him he must be from the one whom you called.

24 hour locksmith San Diego