How do you stay warm in the cold?

I have lived in Texas for almost all of my life, and I don't remember what it's like to live in a place where it snows. I do like the cold though, and eventually I'd like to live somewhere where it get's really cold, like above NY! How do you northerners stay warm? Do you have to wear that funny warm underwear stuff, multiple layers? So you have to take off the multiple layers when you go inside? I really am clueless about the cold lol :P

Most Helpful Girl

• Lots of layers for me does the trick. I have a really heavy, long overcoat, so I generally wear a bunch of thin layers and just put that on top. I sometimes do wear long underwear, but only when it's absurdly cold out - otherwise being indoors is too warm.

As far as keeping warm outside goes, the outerwear and winter accessories you put on almost matter more than what's underneath it. Hats, scarves, mittens, and thick socks are a must, especially during snow. Get tall, insulated snow boots, and wear multiple pairs of socks if you're going to be walking around in the snow. The rule of thumb for me is that if you aren't all swaddled up and don't look absolutely ridiculous, you're going to be cold. When going inside, just shed layers until you aren't sweating and let the snow melt off.

Then again, I'm a college student and spend my winters trekking through heavy snow to get to my classes and food. You might not need something so extreme, especially if you want to live in an urban area where good infrastructure for snow removal exists.

What Guys Said 2

• I honestly think our blood temperature is different lol My grandmother freezes in 60 degree weather, since she normally lives in Florida, but I'll be comfortable in a t-shirt. Sometimes it gets so cold that you don't really feel the chill, but it's more like the air isn't moving... y'know? Kinda hard to explain... Like, sometimes when I feel its especially hot, I kind of feel like the heat is a breeze in itself, well, when it gets very cold, I kinda feel like you're moving the air when walking (talking about negative temperatures). I dunno, I just wear a jacket and deal with it, drink hot things (cocoa, teas, coffee, whichever). When I was little I'd wear "long johns", because I come from a farmer background, and lots of farmers wear them, but it also depends on how your living space is heated too and all that jazz.

• Clothes

What Girls Said 4

• I just wear layers. Not long underwear or anything haha, just normal clothes worn strategically. Example, starting at the bottom layer: tank top, regular short-sleeved top, cardigan or sweater, and if it's cold enough, an actual coat. Then I just take off the heavier layers when I go inside :P But I hate wearing coats, so I usually just wear a thick hoodie over my layers or something. I like being cold, so I don't mind.

• Your legs don't get cold with only one layer?

• Not really, I'm not sure why. As long as my feet are warm, my legs are usually fine.

• i love the cold...so much...snow is just amazing :)

if it's really cold, I tend to wear sweaters over my tops. I have a bunch of winter jackets to handle the different degrees of coldness lol. in terms of inside, I just walk around with a blanket around me lol. it's a lot of fun. not like a huge blanket, just something that's like... 2 towels put together and super soft. and I always wear thick socks and scarves.

• Believe me, it's not that fun...especially after it snows, ugh, gray slush everywhere (thanks to the cars). So hideous. Fall is amazing in NYC but winter is just really chilly. The only thing I like about winter is that you can sleep really well at night. In the winter, it's hard to be cute...I try wearing cute clothes but in the end, I rather stay warm...I don't know, I like Spring and Fall, I'm not a big fan of Winter myself.

• I just wear lots of layers of warm clothes and drink hot chocolate :)