Do you think BET is racist?

It's funny when people say BET is racist. They point out if there was a WET it would be racist which is true but CMT is WET. However they ignore or are ignorant of the fact that BET is owned by white men. Irony ftw! Also BET stereotypes the hell out black people so I don't know why people target BET as racist because there is no WET. What do you think of people who say BET is racist also do you think its racist. Considering most TV is catered to whites and BET being owned by whites?

Most Helpful Guy

• Not really. If I remember correctly, they played a lot of Obama commercials during and after the primaries in '08. That's a little iffy to me. It automatically makes the assumption that black people will vote for a black person solely because of the skin color.

And, I wouldn't call CMT the equivalent of BET to white people. That's stupid.

• Well I feel that white peole in America have various other cultures such as being white and raised catholic or baptist or rocker metalhead jock emo etc not saying these are the only catgories white people fall in these are just pointing out that white people have more sub cultures then black people I feel. So yes think CMT is catored to most whites is stupid but CMt does have a vast majority white audience and mainlt target whitepeople who love country. Not to say black people don't watch it but

• I see what you're saying, but in the question, you said CMT is WET. The fact that mostly white people watch CMT is inconsequential. Most channels have a higher white audience than they have of anyone else. I'm not saying BET is racist or shouldn't be around. I'm just saying that CMT or any other channel isn't only for white people and they don't claim to be.

What Girls Said 6

• Everything is a little racist. It's all about ratings, there really wasn't a set channel for blacks ( if I go by what I was told when I asked) so people made one.

• Not sure what WET means but I do think its strange that even the commercials on BET never have a white person in them

• WET= white entertainment television the reason why commercials have black is because the channel is targeted at black lol Take for example oxygen channel most commercials are targeted at women because it is a channel for women. Spike TV is targeted at men and thus shaving commercials and guy flixs are in the commercials for that station.

• lol, most of what's on TV is f***ed up in some way or another.

• not really.

and... lol @ CMT = WET :p

• We all know CMT has a majority white audience.

• No it's not racist. Most networks and television shows cater to white people anyway, are they racist for not including more things for blacks? Is lifetime network sexist for being targeted to women? Is LOGO heterophobic? Some people always want to have a nonissue to complain about and never wanna see black people have sh*t

• Not really..

What Guys Said 7

• What are BET, WET, and CMT?

• Black entertainment television, white entertainment television (this is not existant) and country music television but like MTV it is not reall videos.

• Anything that acknowledges the artificial concept of race is by default racist. Because it implies some sort of a difference, and if two things are different, they simply CAN'T be exactly equal.

• BET proper isn't racist. The name of an organization (unless found offensive) and the people they target (for entertainment) have nothing to do with the media or message the network promotes. If BET focused their efforts on the harm or destruction of any ethenic group, then the network would be liable for racist antics. However, the BET network (to the best of my knowledge) puts out no such message.

• It's really owned by a white guy? Oh that's hilarious.

• Yes not making it up look up Viacom

• Everyone is racist. A channel with shows marketed towards black people isn't.

• Can't say I've spent a lot of time watching it. Also can't say I spend a lot of time obsessing about finding racism everywhere.

• How is most TV *catared* to white people? I'm mexican and I think most TV is catared to me.

• Where do you live?

• Can you name some non mexican channels that are targeted at mexicans? Also I don't know if you are saying that most TV caters to your own personal taste or mexicans in general.

• Just think of it this way. Back in the day before you were born there were great shows targeted to blacks on *white* stations like The Jeffersons, Sanford and Sons, The Different Strokes, Cosby Show, Family Matters, The Wayans Bros lol ...Now in this age, name one show on BET that is targeted towards white people. Exactly.