Do you think it is wrong to wear the same color as the bride at a wedding?

My sister is getting married and she said to me that someone mentioned to her that I'll be wearing a dress that has white in it.(Well the bottom half of it is white,the top half has white and gray)And that usually you don't wear the same color as the bride.She said she doesn't care though and that I can wear it if I want,but other people might look at me weird... I know it's just a dress but I love it,I've never had a chance to wear it,it's not cheap either..She said it's up to me weather I want to wear it or not and if people would feel comfortable..To me it's like her way of saying don't wear it... I can understand,but it's not completely white,I wouldn't wear it if it was,but it has gray in it.So what there's not going to be anyone with a white part of there dress?It is her day and everyone will be looking at her!They won't be looking at me.I feel annoyed!I can't afford to just go out and buy another one.Do you think it is wrong to wear the same color as a bride,even if the whole thing isn't the same color?

Here is the dress.Tell me if you think it's acceptable,I don't care if you don't like it lol.

link

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 3

• If she's told you its fine to wear it, then wear it. Its her f***ing wedding, who cares what other people think? But if they're uncertain terms, like they seem to be, really talk to her about it first and find out how she really feels

• reason being, its the brides day so let her have her day and stand out and be the best looking girl there.

It's like someone taking the spot light on YOUR birthday

how do you feel?

• Personally,I wouldn't give a sh*t if everyone wore white on my wedding day.At the end of the day,it's just a color and everyone will definitely be looking at her,no matter what color she is wearing.

• Yeah but that's you and your sister is your sister

She might just be saying that cause she wants to be nice and wants to avoid arguing.

Best bet wear something else. You'll find another occasion to wear the dress

• Have someone ask her if it bothers her that you are wearing that dress. If she also says no it does not bother her then wear it. as long as the dress is not completely white then that is ok

What Girls Said 6

• i know traditionally it is definately not proper etiquette to wear anything white to someone elses wedding...and I personally would never ruin someone elses day like that, my best friend spent like half an hour sobbing on my shoulder on her wedding day because her cousin had showed up in a dress the was white and wine... I just think its unfair on a bride..

But good house keeping has an artictle that goes through some traditional etiquette and more modern etiquette it addresses this issue saying:

"Old: Guests shouldn't wear white or black to a wedding.

New: In most circumstances, either is acceptable.

Peggy says: Yes, you can wear white, just as long as it doesn't look remotely bridal. And if you wear black, it should look chic, not funereal. Other considerations: time of day, location, and any rules of attire specified by religion (for example, no bare shoulders or low necklines)."

link

If I was you I would sit dow and talk to your sister she may says its OK because she probably knows you don't have the money to get a new dress etc but she could be secretly upset or angry about it...

but if it was me I just wouldn't be wearing anything white...

• I'm sorry to say its definitely not suitable... It's way to white the grey is so pale its almost white... I'm sorry it's just not appropriate but its a beautiful dress..

• You can wear it if you want. If the dress was entirely white I'd say no way, but because it has grey in it then it's all right.

However, whenever I go to a wedding I tend to stay away from anything remotely white or light. I personally think it's more appropriate to wear darker colors.

• @Update: I imagined the grey being darker. It's a lovely dress, but I don't think it's appropriate for a wedding.

• I wouldn't wear it. It's almost completely white and that's a no-go for a wedding if you're not the bride...

I'm sorry, but it would be appropriate to wear another dress. But you don't necessarlily have to buy a new one, maybe you can borrow one or you find something else in your closet. But if you have to buy one - the prize doesn't matter, a cheap one will do! And buy something that's not too dressed up so you can wear it on other occasions as well.

• I wouldn't wear it. It is her big day and would want to do anything that would cause any drama or make the bride upset I would go for another color dress.

• I sat wear it. When my mom got married to her second husband, my aunt wore a low white dress that ended above mid-thigh. Which stole my mom's spotlight. As long as it won't drag attention from the bride, I say wear it...

• don't wear white, also guys (guests) should not wear same colour as bridal party

• Gee_whizz. Why?even if It's mainly the bottom part of the dress that is white?

• As long as it doesn't take attention away from the bride, then why shouldn't you wear it? You spent a lot of money on it. And I'm assuming you can't return it and get your money back so you can get a new dress.

• to be honest if I was the bride I wouldn`t have someone also wearing a white dress

don`t wear it it`s her big day