When you're a tourist, do you strive to look your best or you just don't care?

a) Do you not care whether you look nice or not (because people don't know you there)?

b) Do you care just as much as you do when you're back home?

c) Do you care more because you want to either catch that summer/winter fling, or you want to make a nice impression (as you're 'representing' your country and therefore the people in it)?

Which option do you go for? If none, tell me your own philosophy. =)

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh yeah! I want to look good, but not too good. I don't want to seem like a posh prick, but I do want to look as if I care about my looks and hygiene, which is what's the whole point really. And getting that girl I had my eye on. ;)

What Guys Said 6

• b) Dressed down for me is a band t-shirt. A few shades below business casual. The only thing I do differently overseas is avoid polos and graphic tees that are uniquely American.

I've visited dozens of foreign countries. Don't try to pass yourself off as one of them. They freakin' hate that. The reputation for American tourists like me is that we're loud, snobbish, rich, dumb, whiny, tanned, and oblivious to any cultural center that won't make us look sophisticated. I try to act respectful and realize that I probably don't know anything about their culture and realize that they have a life outside of making business transactions with tourists. I absolutely refuse to wear any of their clothing and paraphernalia, nothing screams "jack up the price for me" like that.

I got along really well with Canadians during my visit. Some of them were shocked this one time I had to pay in cash and pulled out American currency. Anywhere else I visited I went with my parents, and they scream tourist so loud that they would bring Ketchup from the back of the restaurant for us. Even if we were eating seafood.

• Damn...that can't be easy... Haha

But you are right - about what others think of Americans. And I've met dozens of them, so yep...I got that impression myself...

• I don't change the way I look when I go out of the country, buying new clothes is definitely expensive and I feel that wherever I went the clothes I wear wouldn't stand out because they are pretty plain button downs and t-shirts and henleys and most people wear them. I always try to dress and look nice, even if I am just wearing a t shirt with jeans and a pair of sneakers I make sure I don't have food stains or lint on any of my articles of clothing or whatever. When it comes to 'catching that summer fling' I always make sure I don't look like a total bum but I don't try too hard and I don't feel like I represent anything or anyone but myself, so as long as I think I look good then whatevs. I choose B.

• Oh Stillwater dear, You have to dress well as you represent your country.

Croatian people look very cute with natural gifted beauty as I met one girl in my country in 2006.

so it is better to be the best you can or else wear neat, decent clothes.

The decency of that croatian girl left an everlasting impression on her and your country.

She had milky white skin and gold hair and slim body and she was like a doll, like a european princess. So she was the best one in all ways. She dressed in white and wore a fully covered

decent dress and footwear without exposing, but she looked too cute to pass by. Enjoy !

YOu can also see this note :

****(Hi croatian girl, I love your country people I think as I met a girl from croatia in india before. I'm an indian. If any croatian girl from you is interested in an indian guy, please let me know, Thank you !)

• I don't care if I look nice or not, however, I'm not walking around doing annoying and stupid things that p*ss people off. I just behave the way I am, I have my own set of rules and moral code.

• I like to dress sharp when I'm a tourist in a foreign country- it helps catch the ladies eyes, and the foreign(to them) accent takes over

• I dress the same

What Girls Said 13

• yes I do care that I look nice/presentable when I'm overseas. but then again I've always cared about my appearance & I've always made it a point to look at least presentable in any occasion so it's habit for me. I guess the only difference is that I'm fine with slacking off a bit when I'm back home, but I am not so much OK with slacking off a bit when I'm overseas. Red_Raconteur said what I wanted to say. photos last forever so I'd want to look my best in holiday photos. also, my country is a small country...i gots to represent...nobody's gonna meet a whole lot of us singaporeans in their lifetime :p besides...if I see a cute foreign guy...i don't wanna be looking like crap!

• Generally I try to look good while on vacation, because vacation normally means many photos, some of which I'm bound to be in.

• I've never been outside of the country (my creys) but whenever I visit somewhere else within the US, I dress pretty much normally. Actually, though, I tend to care more about how I dress when I visit somewhere else, cause where I live is like...nothing, so whenever I go somewhere cooler, I usually want to wear better clothes.

• B

(too short)

• b) I you care just as much as you do when you're back home

I like to look appropriate. I mean if I am going to go skiing in the Alps, I'm not going to put make up all over my face. Or, if I am going to Italy and I am just walking around I will dress normally because they dress normally. It wouldn't make sense to wear a ball gown. Although, I think it is always important to be clean & neat.

• Some days I care, other I don't. Just like as if I was at home.

Also, I bought a cap from Prague. It made me look very touristy. I wore it and didn't care. XD

• Casual so I fit in

• B).

• I do the same But I should dress better as I will be taking pictures all the time But I guess I never thought about it,..

• Dress down

• Dress up to blend in

• depends where I am, I've been to NY and dressed better than what I do at home. and then I've been to China/Vietnam and didn't care! So I think its more like I dress nice where I know people care about looks/fashion.

• I always try to look my best esp in some other country because I don't want to think, those stupid Americans, they can't even dress right.