How important is how you dress when making new friends?

id like to know thanks.

i mean is sweatshirt and jeans ok?

or should I be wearing nice clothes makeup etc. does it really make a difference to guys/girls what they look like when making friends?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think as long as I'm presentable, it's reasonable. That said, I am personally a neat freak. I always spend time looking at my hair before I go out the door. (I like yours by the way, mines long as well) anyways, I like to just keep it simple if the occassion isn't overly formal. I wear make up like everyday, but if you don't need it, don't wear it. It depends, if I feel like crap that morning, I will wear make up but somedays when I'm going out with my friends, they prefer me plain (without the makeup)

What Guys Said 2

• Being yourself is far more important, but dressing up at least a bit for occasion won't hurt.

• I hate to say it but. yes. it does have some kind of impact. but sweatshirt and jean is ok. absolutely. unless your going to a fancy dinner. then a dress might be appropriate. But trust me you dont' make new friends by how you dress. you make new friends by what you have in common. Friendship is not beauty contest, rather meeting people that have similar values.

What Girls Said 5

• It depends. It's said that girls dress for other girls, not for boys, so when you're getting ready to go somewhere try to keep in mind the styles of the girls that you're trying to befriend. What you wear will vary depending on what group you're trying to get into, but you can honestly never go wrong with tight, dark wash jeans, a trendy t-shirt (or a "going out top" for night time), and cute flats. Throw this outfit on with a bit of mascara and lip gloss and you should be good to go!

• I know this sounds shallow!

but I seriously have noticed this

At least in college.

People approach me more when I am more put together. When I look nice and casual and not too dolled up. When I feel the most comfortable with how I look, I get noticed more often and I feel more confident to talk to people. Or if I'm wearing a unique item of clothing, people will come up to me and tell me things like "I love your boots! where'd you get them?!" That starts a conversation. I feel like wearing a sweat shirt and jeans is a little too casual for every day, but if that's your style and you look nice and feel your best, go for it.

• idk. it depends what kind of friends are you looking for. cus I got friends that are really piky about that. and I got friends that don't seem to care. like me, I have to like your personality, then we can work on the clothes [if you dress hideous] lol. but I wear sweatpants sometimes. I really don't care. haha.

• honestly,

i'm fully myself when meeting new people, and I love when people aren't afraid to be themselves in front of me.

they appear more confident, and less shy, because they're comfortable with their normal selves, not who they are portraying.

if you wear makeup, then wear makeup the way you normally would.

if you usually like to dress casually, then don't bother dressing up to meet someone.

your friends are people that accept you for who you are, no matter what you like to wear.

plus, if you try to change yourself, people may not like you (when they don't realize that's actually NOT you), and there's just so many complicated things that come along with changing for someone.

i've been through it.

trust me, just be yourself, and all will be fine:]

• Yes! First impression is everything just remember that when dressing up don't try to be someone that your not try to dress in an outfit that defines who you are because people who are like you will notice and those are the people you want to be your friends