Can you really tell just by looking at a person's profile?

Somehow, a friend and I got into a discussion that you can tell what kind of personality a person has and how educated they are just by looking at their Facebook profile. She just looks at random profiles of girls and guys and classifies them as classy, slut, whore, nerd, a-hole, talented, jock, etc. I disagree with her, telling her it's only a website. What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• It might be a little true. It is the internet though so not everything may be true.

What Guys Said 3

• Absolutely you can tell a lot about a person by just looking at their Facebook. That's just like seeing someone walking on the street, it's pretty easy to make a judgement about that person. Of course not everyone's personality reflects the way they look and dress, but more often then not its relatively easy and accurate to classify a person on the way they look and dress.

• I disagree also. Not everyone spews out what they are all about on Facebook. Of course you can find little things out about a person, but to think you can determine what a person is like by so little is an ignorant act on the seer's part. Same goes for anything.

• Heck, I can tell everything I need to know about a person from a few lines of text.

What Girls Said 3

• I would assume that in order to really tell you'd have to actually be around that person in real life for at least a little while. Talking to someone online could be a decent way of doing it as well, I suppose, but just looking at someone's profile? No way.

• It is possible but it should be noted that people show a different side of themselves on those sites.

• I think that's true to a point. You can't know everything about a person by looking at their profile, but you can get an idea of their personality.

On Facebook, most of my pictures are of me with friends or family members doing really silly things, which shows I'm a relationship oriented person who likes having a good time.

Most of my sister's pictures are of her trying on different clothes, makeup, and hairstyles in the mirror, which shows she's really into fashion and beauty.

My best friend's pictures are her hiking, black water rafting, and mountain climbing. She travels all over the world and pitches tents in the jungle and stuff like that, and her pictures show that she's an adventurous person.