Is being in jail really so bad? Recent topic of discussion, looking for input?

So I've always had a curiosity, but never really looked into it.

Is being in jail really so bad? You get 3 Square meals, your time is all planned out, and you don't have to worry about where you'll sleep. Yeah, you have to deal with a bunch of guys who may hurt you physically or emotionally, but seriously? that can happen any day in a city. Does anyone have experience with this? I know it's not a good thing, just kinda.. I dunno. curious. =P

• You're an idiot
  • What's going on?
  • I'm tired
  • Meh
Didn't even think of this: What's the difference between Jail and Prison? I mean more.. thoughts about both.

Most Helpful Girl

• Jail is like the county jail. Its for minor stuff with short sentences. Prison refers to the federal system where they stick the more dangerous criminals and people with longer sentences.

And yes. Prison is bad. You'd be constantly surrounded by violent, arrogant, egotistical, controlling a**holes. Its not a question of if you get hurt, but when. You cannot even begin to compare it with what could happen "any day in a city." It is so much worse.

What Girls Said 3

• I dated a guy who went to jail twice while we were together. He HATED it because it was so boring he thought he would go crazy. You are often left in a cell with absolutely nothing to do for hours and hours and hours each day and night.

• yeah, it seems like it'd be more boring than the hellhole it's always made out to be...

• Oh yeah he only went there for the weekend and he just hated it. He also cried all night because he thought I would break up with him. (I did eventually but not because of jail). So in a way you also can`t see anyone you love or be in a relationship...unless you like guys but I don`t think they would let you kiss anyone in jail. You feel so lonely in jail and bored. Deadly combination.

• From what I've heard, it's hell.

• Yeah, I mean, everything you hear says it's awful, but I want to know from experiences, like.. people who've been. y'know?

• haha makes sense

• Prison keeps people who have been sentenced for longer periods of time, so all the rapist, molesters, murders..

• Jail would just be lame. Prison would be awful.

• Oh true! what's the difference? I never really thought that..

• Jail is mostly drunks and small time criminals. Prison is evil guys and gangs...

What Guys Said 1

• from what I know, jail is where you go temporarily after getting arrested for something and is mind numbingly boring. Prison is much worse as it's long term and it's where you serve a sentence and could get raped or stabbed as is the stereotype. Less likely to happen in jail