Why does it seem that almost every girl think she's fat or has to lose weight?

I see this all the time, even if a girl is really nice and thin or totally not even fat at all. They are constantly talking about losing weight, weighing themselves, and all that non sense and eating right or skipping meals to lose weight. I don't get it. Where does this paranoia and such concern about losing weight come from. But 90 percent of the girls I know act like this and feel this and it makes zero sense to me. Enlighten me ladies.

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe everyone should be more concerned with their weight since the average person is actually overweight... from Web md

That’s the finding of the latest Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, which shows that 63.1% of adults in the U.S. were either overweight or obese in 2009... and 26.5% obese.

People who are obese are far more likely to report being diagnosed with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, or to have had a heart attack.

The survey found that:

Of people with high blood pressure, 46.2% were obese, 31.1% were overweight, 19.3% were of normal weight, and 17.2% underweight.

Of people with high cholesterol, 36.8% were obese, 30.1% overweight, 19.2% normal weight, and 14.1% underweight.

Of people with diabetes, 21.1% were obese, 9.8% overweight, 5% normal weight, and 4.2% underweight.

Of people reporting heart attacks, 6.3% were obese, 4.8% overweight, 3.3% normal weight, and 4.4% underweight.

Of depressed people, 23.3% were obese, 15.3% overweight, 15% normal weight, and 20% underweight.

The survey says that African-Americans in 2009 were among the most likely to be obese, at 36.2%, compared to the national average of 26.5%. The obesity rate among Hispanics, at 28.3%, is also higher than the national average. Asians are far less likely to be obese, with only 9.6% falling into that category.

The survey also reports that:

18.3% of young Americans are obese, compared to 27.6% between ages 30-44 and 30.6% among 45- to 64-year-olds. Of people 65 and over, 24.2% are obese.

Men are more likely than women to be obese, 27.8% compared to 25.2%.

The report concludes that obesity is still on the rise and that reversing this trend may require the involvement of communities, businesses, and governments.

What Girls Said 2

• The media creates the I'm fat belief

The overweight/obese problem in America creates the paranoia

• Your username says it all.

What Guys Said 1

• Well I could go on and on about society and the pressure women are under to look like swimsuit models and TV stars, but the truth is that women like to be told that they are pretty, so when they want to hear that they'll throw out the "i feel fat" line and wait for the guy to say "what? no way! you look hot!" or some other ego boosting words.