Marrying an "unattractive" person...why?

okay so I was reading an article on askmen.com. the title of the article is "Benefits to marrying and unattractive person," there were 10 reasons, and the scary thing is...they all made some sort of sense. more than others of course, but my question is do people really do this knowingly? I mean we all know that one person (2 or 3 depending lol) that is clearly more attractive than his/her counterpart, but usually the people match in some way...nerd/nerd, ugly/ugly, big/big. hot/hot...I realize its not all about looks; I got that. but I mean, the number 10 reason was something like, it makes you feel better about yourself. really? your talking about someone your spending the rest of your life with...it does make sense though, I mean think about some super attractive girl/guy you know. he/she probably has more than one friend they constantly hang out with that's not near their level of hottness. why? well its kind of obvious, or at least the percieved reason is obvious. it makes them look better; comparatively speaking. so, I was just really intrigued by this article and wondered if people really weighed the options like that...pls respond and let me know if you agree/disagree and why. thanks

Most Helpful Girl

• is this it? link

i only made it to reason 6 before I had to stop my eyes from bursting into flames... no, I don't think individuals with fully functioning brains consider reasons like that when choosing their partner. furthermore, I don't choose who I'm friends depending on their attractiveness. I'm friends with people who I genuinely like, with whom I share several interests.

overall, that article (and website) is total bullsh*t. save your brain, stop reading such drivel.

What Girls Said 4

• That's stupid. If you aren't attracted to the person then what's the point of marrying him/her?

• I could see where the author of the article is going with this. For me I can admit that I am a little bit shallow and would want to marry someone I find very attractive. But then again I have dated guys that were so hot but when they opened their mouths, the physical attraction was just gone. There was nothing but looks there. I would never be with someone because they made me feel better about myself physically. That just sounds mean. But I would be willing to go for a guy who is more a 7 or 8 with brains and personality rather than dating that perfect 10. With those 7 and 8's when they have more than just looks to bring to the table it makes them so much more attractive.

• why is it shallow to want to marry someone who is attractive? pls help me with that...I think wanting someone your attracted to, shows self-value in my opinion. It shows your worth something, and that you don't want to "settle"

• well as we all know everyone wants to marry someone theyre attracted to. if not that's just weird.

an attractive male/ female may be attracted to a not so good-looking female/ male. I don't think anyone would marry someone because they feel more attractive around them. I do think people date other people who aren't so hot when theyre hot because of self-esteem issues though. Also, someone should never settle because they feel they can't get someone they truly would want.

i hope that makes sense... I didn't really know how to word it, sorry.

• That is kind of awful even though I See some of the points

What Guys Said 1

• Those reasons seem pretty dumb. I mean not everybody is going to end up with a 10, but you don't have to make excuses for who you love. If I'm going to marry a girl, it won't be only because she's attractive or smart or whatever. The whole package is what matters. These ideas in this article would never cross my mind.