Who do you think matures faster, boys or girls?

I know the myth is that girls mature faster but I've seen some very immature 20 year old girls and very mature 17 year old guys. Should this even be gender based?

I personally think guys mature faster. But just my opinion.

After reading all of your answers I have concluded on a best answer! Congrats anon (:

Most Helpful Guy

• I guess it kind of depends on how we're going to measure "maturity", but whether girls mature faster or not I think it's fairly undeniable that a lot of the time males are more stable than females. Sure maybe guys will be making fart jokes and lame sexual comments well into their teens, but on a gender basis it's generally not the guys that go off the wall for no apparent reason when "that time of the month" comes around. Even without the hormonal imbalances that the menstral cycle offers, in my experience it's usually woman that have the volatile personalities more so than men. Not that that answeres your question...

As I said before, it's dificult to exactly "measure" something like maturity. I think a lot of the problem is that people (younger ones especially) use imaturity as a form a amunition for arguments. The "well that's immature of you, my side of the debate is more grown up" scenario for example. Personally I think it boils down to the person, not so much the gender. Though it's be said that females have a high rate of maturity per capita than males, so I guess we'll see about that.

I think it's largly situational as well. Odds are a girl mid-cycle being all unstable and whatnot is going to seem a hell of a lot less mature than the average Joe type of guy when she goes off screaming and crying and yelling about apparently nothing, but just the same when a guy's doing some sort of macho presentation as we are apt to do at times and the girl's just having a normal day the inverse would likely seem apparent.

What Girls Said 14

• What sixstring said. Girls in their teens are more mature, but overall men will overtake women in maturity levels. I read this the other day in my textbook, but now I can't remember. But yea, guys overall become more mature, but I'm not sure who matures faster. I'm not even sure if it should be gender based, maybe personality/intelligence based.

• Of course there are going to be exceptions to the rule, because not everyone is the same, but I would say that generally girls do mature faster than guys. In my experience, anyway.

• Geez. Why all the downvotes? So much hate today. :\

• both, Every gender matures depending on each individual person.

Stereotype and ignorance is a curse.

• i think it depends on the person.

• in my opinion maturity comes through life experiences and has nothing to do with gender

• Generally, girls.

• Mature teen boys are faaaar less common than mature teenage girls. Immature young adult men are far more common than mature ones. Do you see where I'm going with this?

• Except for during the early to mid twenties. Women are definitely behind men in that age.

• Let me guess. You're in your early to mid twenties?

• According to science, women do.

• Generally girls, but that's not to say there isn't some pretty immature girls out there..

• definitely girls

• well sources say girls do

• It's proven that it's girls.

• girls. I mean girls are ready for marriage and family much faster than guys. guys in their 30's still act like a 17 year old

• Girls, for sure, in general.

What Guys Said 8

• I think besides it being (mostly) individual, it also depends on the situation or context.

So let me use one with shock value: picking up girls as a teen guy/being a teen girl. My opinion: a large amount of girls are absolutely STUPID things when it comes to this. I don't know if you paid attention to this in high school or not, but the guys with a lot of girls were quiet geniuses in that field. They learned how to be master manipulators and land the girls. This stuff doesn't matter to me so it's not like I look up to them. But when people say that girls mature faster, that makes me think they are more mentally capable and intelligent things but they aren't. All it takes is some relatively simple emotional appeal and/or manipulation, then they are falling all over a guy. Those guys seem primal but they're smart enough to let girls think that guys are stupid.

But in more important aspects, I think it's pretty down the middle. The girls and guys I went to school with didn't seem any more or less mature than the opposite gender.

• depends on the individual. I'm 20 and am more mature than many girls my age and less mature than others, but generally speaking I think that people of similar age have been exposed to similar environments are around the same maturity wise.

• Its a toss up between both in my opinion, some can argue that guys do, and others can argue that girls do. I think its in the middle, each gender has some immature ones that weigh down the mature and make people judge them based on that.

• It depends on the individual, doesn't matter what gender. There are many immature women, just as there are many immature men.

Not gender-based at all...

• Girls mature more in their teens. When they reach 18-20, they get stuck while men keep maturing.

• Right, here we go. On average girls start puberty, physical and mental changes earlier than boys. There are many more factors that determine someone's 'maturity', which is vague enough to begin with.

I guess that leaves you with girls maturing faster.

• I think it has more to do with the environment than gender.

• So gender isn't a factor at all or you don't know enough to wager a judgement?

• Hey RealMenFly, you are the one who claims that genders have an effect on people's level of maturity, therefore you are the one who needs to provide proofs.

I agree with Prince's answer, genders have nothing to do with maturity, because maturity varies among the same gender. Not to mention that the definition of maturity differs from a person to another. Environment, education, nurture, peers, experience, setbacks, etc... are the things that help you mature faster, not your gender.

• I was trying to clarify his answer. I was obviously doing the right thing because you didn't understand it either. I had to force it out of him. ;)

Apparently girls brains start 'maturing' faster too. But how 'mature' this makes them, who knows. They're different kinds of maturity I believe.

• define "mature"