Why do guys prefer long hair?

I recently cut my hair because I have really thick hair that is heavy and gives me headaches. After I did, 3 close friends who are all guys told me that they prefer it long, and so did the guy that I am dating. All of my female friends, however, tell me that the style looks really good with my face shape. Why the difference-is it a social thing or do you like to have more hair to touch or what?

Most Helpful Guy

• I guess its a social thing, its associated with femininity.

A lot of guys only like long hair. I quite like as short as chin length, but rarely shorter.

What Guys Said 2

• Because it makes you look more womanly having long hair and because we love to have something to grab onto.

• Because it's just so feminine and it's just so much fun to run your hands through.

What Girls Said 2

• -Feminine

-Represents youth(If healthy)

-Mid-length compliments almost all face shapes, short, doesn't. Most girls who think they can rock short hair, can't. What's attractive to girls isn't attractive to guys

• I have huge curly hair that goes just a bit past my shoulder and guys love it even though it's not really long when it's curly. When I straighten it, it's like to the middle of my back but I don't like to straighten it because I think straight, long hair is boring and anyone can have it. But not everyone can have my spiral curls :) Anyway, if a guy really likes you,. he's not going to make a big deal out of hair. Guys can't keep their hands out of my hair and they don't care that it's not really long.

You seem to really just be fishing for compliments. Get over yourself.

• Um, wow. No not trying to fish for compliments at all. I was just curious about why long hair is preferred. Your hair does sounds beautiful though, I love curly hair. :)