Training tips for dunking a baseketball?

Im 6 ft, and can touch rim (so my vertical is about 28). I need another six to dunk (34), so hopefully I will be dunking within a year from now. Anybody out there who can dunk? I'm looking for some training tips...

Most Helpful Guy

• i can dunk a basketball. I'm 6'5 with a 24" vertical I did the p90x plyo and that made me jump higher. most of the muscles you need are worked when running long distance, doing calf raises (200 a night before bed) and I had a friend just wear ankel weights wherever he went and all day long. they make shoes that work your calfs non stop. all of that is excessive though. run a few miles a day and do the calf raises before bed. another thing is find where you need to take off because most people jump too early and fall short of the peak of their jump. don't try to tomahawk try to slam down a finger roll.

can you palm a ball?

• easy to say its excessive when you're 6' 5"- I have a higher vertical than you can still can only touch rim. I can barely palm a basketball. I know ill never be a crazy dunker, I just want to be able to throw it down. Your friend should be careful with running in those ankle weights, they can be quite effective but they take a serious toll on joints and ligaments. you got a pic of you throwing it down?

• nahhh all the times I throw down are like right after basketball practice after I am done getting in extra shots.

pretty much you do all of those and overwork your muscles, you are being counter-productive. make sure you have enough rest in between workouts and eat enough plusd a lot of protine. I know a lot of cross country runners who have amazing verticals just because running five miles a day makes their legs amazingly strong. hjope this helps

What Girls Said 2

• Is this for those of us who can't add?

vertical is about 28- I need another six to dunk-34 28+6= 34 for those of you that can't add.

• Like, dunking a basketball?

What Guys Said 5

• Get the Lifeline USA Portable Power Jumper. Shit works. Trust me.

Review of it.

link

Site that makes it.

link

• awesome, I saw a video of a similar device awhile ago and was daydreaming this morning about how to build one myself.

• Dude adding 6 inches to your vertical is nearly impossible. You can maybe squeeze out a couple inches with training, but you're just not tall enough. Just because 2 guys in the NBA that are 6 ft and under can dunk does not give every 6 foot guy hope.

• wow, an optimist. Well, I suppose you're right in that people differ genetically in terms of type II vs type I muscle fiber. Some people may have entirely type I and no way they can dunk. But I'm still going for it, I've only been really focusing on jump strength for between a month or two and have already increased my vertical. Not only that, but look at true distribution curve here. Spudd webb and the stars jump 50" that's absurd, 34 doesn't seem unobtainable in that light...

• The true distribution curve? So a handful of professional basketball players can do it, that's a pretty small curve. I'm a realist, I didn't say it was impossible, but look at the facts, your body has a physical limitation. It's good you're optimistic but don't be delusional.

• I've touched 'rim' with my tongue before... a few times... you know what arsehole tastes like? Peaches and cream my friend, peaches and cream

• Your vertical jump is directly related to the muscles in your legs. But, most of your jumping power force is exerted from your calves. Train and build your calves, and your vertical will improve. :D

• Lol I didn't mean for it to say "power force" just one of them. Oh well. You get the idea.

• no worries man, I'm no basketball player either - but ima dunk before I die. Spud webbs the man though

• It would be rather satisfying if I dunked before I die. And Spud webb was a short little sh*t like me. :D Hope you manage to dunk in the near future.

• be blacker