Why do most Jewish women wear black?

Is anyone on here jewish......

im asking this because I'm curious about your religion. I was watching a documentray recently and it was about jewish people and their day to day lives and the different celebrations that they adhere to.

i wanted to ask two things which I was unsure about

1. why do majority of jewish women wear black (correct me if I'm wrong)

2. why do they cover their hair after they are married with a headscarf or a wig.

this is an innocent question, one that I'm curious about so please leave out your sarcasm or worse anti semetic views I'm not interested.

thank you.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's exclusive to Orthodox Jews. It has to do with modesty, just like with Muslims, and Christians that cover part of them up. Jewish woman cover their hair to reserve a part of them for their husbands. Watch this video and you'll understand ( link ). The black is again part of modest. Bright colors and patterns attract attention. For someone that is a very strict Orthodox Jew, they may wear only black because it in theory will not draw attention.

What Guys Said 2

• I'm not Jewish but I know they cover thier hair for the same reason Muslim women do, hair is considered private

• By the girls that are not engaged , you could see a lot of the times they wear more bright colored clothing.
    Interesting is to say that the ultra orthodox Hasidic community they don't wear
    Such shoes that make any kind of noise that could attract th men's atteention.

What Girls Said 3

• That's only really, really religious Jews. I'm Jewish and I wear whatever I want/ don't wear anything over my head unless prayers are being recited.

• 1. We don't always wear black lol

2. Religious women cover their hair after they are married because of modesty. Modesty is a huge part of the Jewish religion and hair is another one of those things that can attract guys (including figure), which is why Religious jewish women have a dresscode (only wear skirts and unrevealing tops).

• They're in mourning.