Does anybody else think the 9/11 commemoration was absurdly overblown?

Am I alone in thinking that the average American mentality is so grossly absorbed in defeatism and victimhood that we actively choose to parade our tragedies far more passionately than we do our triumphs? As of today, we are the only nation to place men on another celestial body. 66 years ago, we played a significant role in defeating a genocidal, imperialist regime. So why aren't V-E Day and the moon landing holidays, but 9/11 is? Why do we insist on devoting so much energy and media coverage to commemorating an embarrassment instead of going back to work trying to overcome it? Hell, the new building on the site is only to the 80th story, while Dubai finished the tallest building in the world in half the time since 9/11. When will we say enough with the nationwide pity party and work to achieve greatness again?

Most Helpful Girl

• "Defeatism and Victimhood..." Not adjectives I'd choose for this day nor our mentality. September 11th was the WORSE attack on our soil ever. Thousands of innocent lives were lost, it changed people forever, scarred others for life. It should have never happened but it did. It effected so many people in so many ways that we SHOULD remember. We should remember how this 'tainted' type of ideological thinking of extremism is and how it devastated not only us but the world. We should remember what we have, what we lost and what we have to be grateful for. We should remember where we went wrong in foreign affairs so we can protect our own in the future. No offense but your post REALLY pissed me off.

• i think that would be the battle of little big horn, damn whites killing innocent women and children

• @ QA- I like the points you made in your rebuttal and I agree. We don't want to appear vulnerable but at the same time, I still think we should commemorate those who lost their lives so senselessly. I think the government needs to take a different stance on foreign policy so we can rise above and not let them get to us.

• Sure. We should remember the lessons of that day, but I think the theatrics and coverage were a bit much, especially for the anniversary of a defeat and an embarrassment. That kind of stuff should be saved for the day the Freedom Tower is opened, just as an extra special FU to al Qaeda.

What Girls Said 3

• Ok. I feel this year it was blown way, way, out of proportion.

I know what happened was horrible. And I am lucky none of the people I knew were at that center that year...but its been 11 years and now they start acting like it just happened all over again...

Yes, We get it OSAMA IS DEAD...and maybe can have some other plan...whatever.

WhOOPTY-FUckinG-DoO!

• Yes but I think it was obama's idea to make people realize he caught osama or something

• if we let 9/11 just go and never do anything to remember it, then it's going to keep happening. if you bring awareness to this issue, then maybe problems can be solved

What Guys Said 5

• This year maybe. (You should look up today's Zitz comic strip link

• i don't give a sh*t honestly

• Its more about using tragedy to unite us, not parade them.

We have to remember what we're fighting for. Sometimes we lose sight of that.

• But why not work together again so we can be united by triumph instead of tragedy? There are many things we can work toward fixing in this country, but memorials like this get in the way in the way of rolling up our sleeves and doing something about them.

• its been a decade people need to get over it. the only time you should be thinking about 9/11 is the anniversary or when you go to the airport and have to take off your f***ing shoes. unless you were there or are related to someone who died that day talking about it just makes you a drama queen.

• no you are not the only one