What's your general opinion on permanent tattoos? I personally hate them and have yet to see one that I like, even if it has meaning. I wish I didn't feel this way, I just do! Haha. To me they all look greenish and unnatural and ugly. How do you feel about them?

Most Helpful Guy

• On this matter I think I agree with Church from Red v. Blue:

Should you get a tattoo?

I think that it is quite clear that you should not get a tattoo and I can sum up my point in this elegant but very simple list

1.Tattos are permanent

2.You are a god damned idiot

and I'd like to prove this mathematically if I may: take your current age, now subtract ten years from it, were you smart back then? Of course not! You were a god damned idiot. The fact of the matter is you're just as big an idiot today it's just gonna take you ten more years to realize it. If you had drawn a picture on your body ten years ago, would you be happy with it today?

I'm kidding. You're not an idiot, probably. However there are few things that I am interested in ten years ago that I would want on my body now, that is worth keeping in mind. Also it's a tattoo. Tattoos hurt. Why do you want to hurt yourself? The only way I'd get a tattoo is if I was in prison and getting one would make me one of the cool kids. It's a pretty tool thing to do, but on the inside it means survival, outside. . . . . it just makes you a tool.

But by all means, get the tramp stamp.

What Guys Said 14

• some guys have cool ones, but I agree they are gross, esp on girls! like ok guys are ugly enough so like its just a drop in the bucket and it dosn;t help but I don't think its that bad. but girls its like why waste the beauty that God gave you with paint?

personally I think a tattoo wedding ring is kind of cool though. like its more permanent than a ring plus you can't loose it either.

but that's the only cool tatto. gang members and people who generally don't like people like tattoos haha. not all tattoos but thre itsn;t a whole lot of classy points when they have tattos, it just makes everything worse.

• Green ?!? My tattoos are obviously red and blue.

I like tattoos, but make sure you really, really want them...they are truly permanent. I think my tattoos look good, but sometimes I wish I had not gotten playboy bunnies and in such a prominent spot on my body. The main reason is most girls think it's trashy or assume I'm a player. Make sure you get what you want; you don't get a second chance.

link

• Personally I find the human body to be a beautiful design. In this sense, male or female doesn't matter. It's like a flowing Frank Lloyd Wright creation (or insert your favorite architect) where every bit flows elegantly into the next part, everything complements everything else. A work of art.

Then some hack tagger spray-paints something onto the side of the building. Doesn't matter if the current resident even hired them to do it -- the quality of the art is like night and day. The flow of the original architectural lines has been deeply disrupted. And when your tastes inevitably change (after all, not many people still wear 1980s makeup...) you're never going to get the paint out of the brickwork without sandblasting, which just isn't going to look good compared to the places that haven't been sandblasted. Architect : Facepalm.

A slightly tortured metaphor XD but I hope it gets the point across.

• I like them as long as thhey have meaning, for example I want to get my display picture done on my shoulder blades because I found the picture at a reletivly hard time in my life and it just helps to keep me calm, but that's just me. I actually used to live in Japan (I'm a military brat) and if you went off base you could get anything done, my friends used to get symbols, dragons, etc. and if they stay in shape they won't morph because of where they got them.

I feel the same way about tatoos on girls, as long as there is a story behind them I love them.

• tattoos are horrible and ugly!

• but what happens if they are doing it to cover something up? a large berth mark? or a scar that is very un-atractive? or that they have other problems with there skin that they will not ever be able to get rid of?

• im a fan of tattoos and that the same time hate them

girl gets a tattoo on the hip

sexy

no fairies or shit

i love a girl having something going up her side. like a vine design

anywhere else I hate tattoos on a girl

piercing though

gotta love em

• tattoos are ugly as hell. they are tacky and generally indicate that a person is lame and desperately trying to express themselves, but chose the lamest way possible.

• no pressure either way. its a means of expressing yourself of which there are many. find your own way. and try not to apply your ways to others. its better to stand back and realise they went that way you went this way but your both expressing yourself and there's art [+courage] in both approaches.

• It depends on the folowing

1-placement

2-size

3-reson

4- is there a story to why you got it

5-what line of work do you do

I have sevverelt tatoos but there all in honor of my sisters on of my girlfriend one of my dad and 2 that are patritic and there all on my back nad chest(so if I have to be in a wedin or somin likethgat the won't show)

I hate tatoos on/near a womens breast and I can't stand tramp stamps

• I hate them as well. They just look trashy to me.

• I love tattoos, personally. I have 2 myself and already planned on my 3rd one.

Also, I don't really get what you mean by "To me they all look greenish". That's just kind of a weird comment. Sorry...

• i don't really care, but I would prefer a girls without them

• I would like a tatoo on a womans chest so I could fully examine it. Haha

• Haha even as a female I have to say that comment is HILARIOUS can we be friends?haha

What Girls Said 11

• I personally love tattoos. I've seen some gorgeous ones, especially ones done in Japan. They are exquisite works of art, full of color and detail. I love tribal ones as well. I think having tattoos is a personal thing - most people who get them don't care about public opinion. I mean, tattoos were "taboo" when I was in high school - only the bravest and the baddest people got them, lol. Now it's pretty much mainstream - I'm starting to wonder if they lowered the age to get a tattoo, so many kids have them.

I'm getting a tattoo for my birthday this year - my first one. I can't wait.

• the tattoos need to be placed well and have a story and meaning. if they have that, then it shouldn't matter whether girls or guys like them because you got them for your own reasons, not no just enhance your body physically. if a guy has a lion tattooed on his shoulder ad bicep and he says it's because he likes the lion's power and I want that power represented on my arm then that's an amazing tattoo. if a girl got a flower on her ankle just for the sake of it, then that tattoo blows.

• i really do like tattoos, but my favorites are when people get simple writing in black.

i have a gorgeous one on the back of my neck that says part of my favorite bible verse, its in my own handwriting.

i have the number 17 on my back as a memorial to my cousin, and to remind me to stay young at heart

and I'm getting "forever" in french around the ring finger on my left hand with my fiance next month.

tattoos aren't an always-or-never thing, it depends on the person and the design.

but I bet if you saw some really tasteful ones you'd change your mind.

• Greenish? That's if they're supposed ot be green or they're REALLY old, in which case you can get the black re-done and they're good as new!

I love them on a guy but on a girl they have to be more careful where placed and what of. I have a star on my wrist which I got on my 21st and still love it today!

I guess it is personal opinion either way but in your lifetime you're sure to see one and go wow, that is actually pretty cool wether you' want it for yourself or not.

• Most people would consider me a "classy" person. Polished look, manners, professional job... but most people don't know that I have a tattoo. Everyone has an opinion on the subject. And the truth is, not everyone likes tattoos. That's fine. But I view it as an art form. I've seen some phenomenal art on bodies, and hearing some of the stories have made me cry.

Personally, I waited a few years before getting mine, and I spent weeks deciding what I wanted mine to look like, and how big it would be. (I wanted a cross made of hearts.) I scoured the internet, and finally found a small cross that had vine-like curves that created a bunch of little hearts. I fell in love. I wanted it in a place that wouldn't show at work. It's small (about 4 inches), and every time I see it, I remember why I got it. And that's all that matters.

And as far as the "greenish" color goes, it's a sign that your tattoo has faded and needs to be retouched. Nothing is permanent. To keep it in great shape, you needed to get it redone every few years (depending on how much sun the skin gets). I want to get mine retouched, but I'm scared someone local will ruin it.

• Ok so if you find tattoos ugly what about piercing that destroying your skin too and I bet you have at least you ears pierced I have 5 tattoos and they all have meaning to me, and I have had nothing but compliments on them it's all a matter of personal opinions. And to the guy who said that only people who don't like people and gang members like tattoos, I 'am neither and I love them matter of fact I love people I work for foster care and am very respected in the community tattoos and all

• No need to get personally offended, lol. I was just sharing my opinion =). Yes I do have my ears pierced. But I can take them out if I want. A splotch of dyed skin is entirely different than removable gems, so your comparison doesn't exactly make sense. Yeah, obviously you've only received compliments... No one will walk up to you and say "Those look bad". Most, if not all, tattoos (in MY opinion) look trashyyyy. It has nothing to do with destroying the skin really. They just look bad.

• i think because there are so many people with sh*tty tattoos, they are giving tattoos in general a bad reputation. tattoos are finde of course if they are done well, and if the art is original and meaningful. I hate when people go to a tattoo parlor and just pick something off the wall! also where the tattoos is depends on whether I like it. tattoos on the legs, stomack, chest, neck, and back are pretty gay. I usually only like them on the arms. sometimes I like tattoos on the hands or feet. I don't have any tattoos. oh and I hate sleeve tattoos and when people just have too many!

• Personally I DONT lyk tattoos its goes against my religious and social morals and in the bible it actually says not to make marks or tattoos on ur body ( book of leviticus ) and the fact that you get a strawberry wen ur 19 and it looks lyk a squashed tomato wen ur 60 isn't a very appealin factor either. To me it jus one way of hiding ur beautiful body, doesn't matter if its a birth mark or a scar, there is an applicable amount of people who look on the inside(personality) rather than the outside.

• I think it looks dirty. While other people are trying their best to have a flawless skin, tatooing it is just messing up ones complexion. This is just my view, obviously others find it cool and beautiful. I just don't.

• I love tattoos I thnk they are a great way to express yourself. I don't really like it when people are covered with them, but in some cases its alright.

• i hate permanent tattoos, I think its dirty :S