Girls what's up with you guys and guys who wear preppy clothes?

My favorite clothing stores are A&F, A&E and occasionally, Hollister. Today, when I went up to a girl to talk to her, she gave me a dirty look and said "I don't like the way you dress" and walked away. I was a bit dumbfounded... what's so bad about these stores? I thought they were laid back, chill, clothing styles.. I like them Because that's pretty much my personality...

Most Helpful Guy

• Dude you normally will attract people with similar personalities and interests. A brand or style or clothes is really just a way to advertise part of your personality. It sounds like this girl may be attracted to a different type of guy. Good for her huh. You can't make everyone happy. Do you like the women that dress this way? Well then it makes sense that if your of a similar style and personality you guys would attract better. And if she did dress in a similar way she may be more into a greasy biker style or something. A lot of girls like guys with a rugged style and wear old spice lol, manly men! Just don't over do it with the metrosexual thing

Yes I wear the preppy/surfer look and my girlfriend is the same. A lot of people complain of the price. I don't pay full price for clothes unless I realllllllyyyy want it. And I tend to buy shirts like Oneil and billabong at macys for like 15$ (cant really find shirts cheaper). Also I'm 6 foot tall and slim so I can't find clothes to fit me well at really cheap stores like walmart and what not. The clothes there are made for guys 5'8" that are 200 pounds, you know the average American. Also women clothes are a lot cheaper when your talking shirts. Girls don't realize this but its so true. Go do some research.

What Girls Said 11

• Well for non-preppy people the preps are kinda the mean kids in high school. Like abecrombie and bitch, no one likes going into those stores because the people tat work there stare at you if you are the least bit different. We were actually talking about these stores in class and literally every minority said they wouldn't go into any of those preps stores. Anyone who isn't a size 0 is clearly not welcome. I don't know I think preps are seen as snobs or little suburban punks. But that's just my perspective. Either way it is pretty rude to say that even if she didn't like the way you dress.

• Haha.. but I'm not even white (Im spanish). I'm in shape, and I fit into their clothes just fine. And I haven't really had any bad experiences with them. And on the flipside, the girl was white lol

• I know what you're saying about the people who work there... I walked into drop off an application one day and the girl stared at me with this "what are you doing here?" look on her face... Excuse me, I thought this was a free country! And the same regarding the size issue... For some reason they rarely sell pants above size 34 or 35 in Men's, and lucky me I'm currently 36 (hey, I've lost 8 sizes, I'm not complaining), and they just scoff at me, haha.

• Oh well maybe she thought you were a poser or something idk. Maybe if you dressed like a stereotypical Latino se would've liked you. lol. I just think most preps aren't the nicest people. But she didn't seem nice either so idk. Why do you care she's obviously a jerk? lol

• That girl was just being a bitch. I know a ton of guys and girls that shop at those stores and a bunch that don't. But I've never heard of any be so rude about it. If you like what you wear then go for it. And your buying nice stuff so its not like your wearing torn up shirts or anything like that. Its so weird to hear that some girl said that cause tons of people around at my school dress like that or similar.

• I personally think people who wear those clothes are just following the crowd and wearing it because it's popular. Why else would you spend $30 on a plain t-shirt when there are so many cheaper options? The only difference is the logo. (That girl does sound pretty bitchy though.)

• Most are not plain t-shirts.. most of their shirts have cool designs, and the quality is good as well. That's like saying why you girls spend hundreds of dollars on designer shoes (which you do, don't lie) when you could get the same shoe, made by some random town in china, that'll be ruined in a month.

• I work @ warehouse shoe sale and you be surprised @ the cheap slip ons and shoes really attractive girls buy 4reals...

• i think so too. so many people here wear hollister and A&F who never had style and now they think they are cool because they follow the mainstream. I don't wear these brands because everyone else does, its getting on my nerves. And I got way more many then the most of my classmates because I got a job. I spend over 250 dollars on clothes every month, I could easily buy this stuff.

• That has nothing to do with how she dresses, that's just about her being a stuck up, self righteous, rude, shallow bitch. There are people who shop at those places who don't act like that and actually have manners so don't judge them all just because of one bitch.

You can't use a clothing style and say that's how someone who wears it is going to be lol

• I don't like it, it makes him look more prissy and less manly but there are girls that love when a guy wears clothes like that. I would rather see a guy wear a T-shirt and Jeans.

• Maybe mix it up a little. Girls like guys who are versatile in their choices of clothing.

• Where do you suggest I buy cheaper shirts that are shaped and fit just as well as AE, AF, Hol, and AmAp? Brand doesn't mean sh*t to me, I just want it to be decent fit cause I'm thin and those cloths fit and are shaped proper for me.

• She probably had a bad experience with a guy who turned out to be a preppy a-hole. I doubt she was talking about your actual style. Just another stereotype that all preps are jerks. Don't take it personal.

• she's being just as much of a clothing snob as the people she thinks are clothing snobs that shop there...she either doesn't like preppy clothing or she thinks people who wear preppy clothing from those stores are lame. Either way you're better off not dating someone who judges people solely by the tshirt they're wearing on any given day.

• Maybe she is a little girl and thinks she is cool and grown up.

• I'd wear them but I wouldn't wear it with the name brand all across the shirt because for some reason it shows that I'm a name brand snob and trying to tell the world that I'm cool because I wear those labels. I'd just wear a plain t shirt from the store, maybe with a tiny little picture of a bird or something on the bottom of the shirt or none at all.

• i like that look

What Guys Said 15

• Don't you know that Abercrombie and Fitch makes its clothes from the tears of baby unicorns? That's why it's more expensive to shop there.

• Here in southern California if you see a guy wearing abercrombie or hollister with the sh*tty collar flipped up and your hat and sea shell necklace on you will get your ass kicked. Those brands remind us of rich preppy homosexuals from the east coast. To all of the other easterners who have their own style, are chill, and who don't act like they're better than everyone else for wearing a brand I'm not bagging on you so don't down me. I just hate rich preppy easterners

• She probably doesn't like those brands.

I'm more relaxed and old school. My style is a T-shirt and Wrangler pants that have a loose fit, I have no idea how guys are able to be comfortable in skinny-jeans, they look painful to wear.

• Maybe because its the mainstream and you don't have your own style if you wear these clothes.

If she isn't into mainstream guys, you will be just boring for her.

• be lucky because she was prob just a bitch anyways

• It's a bit preppy, maybe she likes someone more modest.

• Differet clothes give you a different social expression, I personally love wearing Armani Exchange and Gstar because the material is nice and it fits perfectly on my body type. The girl was a bitch no doubt

• I don't know. Maybe she knew some douche bag guy who dressed like you. girls are shallow in that sense, making illogical associations. I mean we all do, but I feel girls are more vulnerable to it.

• i see prep I think D bag.

• Ignore it and move on.

• who needs her? what does she know?

find a girl that embraces/doesn't care what clothes you wear

• lol don't let that one girl get to you, you probably dodged a bullet

• Yeh that girl was just being a bitch. Wear what you want man, I wear the same things.

• if you wear it because you really like it and you feel that it expresses who you are, then don't even sweat what other people are saying. in fact you shouldn't really care about what this girl is saying at all. if she's that quick to judge you then she is actually pretty lame and not chill at all. people who are actually chill don't judge like that.

• hahahaha! I've never ever ever had a girl say anything like that to me. It sounds more like a lame excuse because she was not attracted to you, or you came on wrong.