How has your style changed over the years?

Tell me about your style evolution! Do you ever think about the things you used to wear and just think "I cannot believe I ever wore that"? Or maybe how you styled your hair or the accessories you used?

Personally I've developed a much more minimalist style over the past 5 years. Simple cuts, feminine colors, no wacky patterns or ripped up jeans like I used to wear. And much, much fewer accessories and less makeup :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Year 7-9

no fashion sense what so ever, I wore what I wanted. The majority of my wardrobe was colored black.

Year 10

Started getting into makeup. Majority of clothes from river island, lots of hats sequins, printed T's, not a lot of jewelry, skinny jeans

Year 11

Started buying clothing from top shop, and got bored of R.I. still wasn't very fashionable. Dolly shoes, started buying some jewelry, wore a lot of scarf's and was never ready for summer.

Year 12

I started the year a bit emo lol, that was a mistake. Made the life changing discovery of urban outfitters, and haven't gone back since. Also Shopping in places like Topshop, Cow vintage, and occasionally H&M. Here I was wearing skinny jeans, high waisted flowy skirts, long necklaces, printed t's, stopped wearing hats, wore make up occasionally I started getting into vintage clothing. Again I was never ready and so suffered in summer. This is when I began to separate my wardrobe between things I do wear and things I'll never wear. I got used to wearing shorter skirts.

Year 13 - Today

Perfected (and still perfecting) the art of vintage clothing. I shop everywhere, Urban outfitters and Topshop for the majority of my clothing, H&M for accessories, river island for tights. Vintage clothing stalls, occasionally charity shops sell some good stuff. I take clothes from my mum's and grandma's wardrobe too lol. On lazy days sometimes I wear preppy clothing from places like Hollister or Ralph Lauren. I think I finally have my own style as well as fashion. I go for rocakbility/grunge most of the time, but I change my look everyday. Own leather jackets, boots, heels, girl loafers, skinny jeans, leggings, high waisted skirts shorts and jeans, belts, a ton of jewelry, vintage jumpers, a range of cardigans lace tops and tights, printed T's, knee length socks a few dresses etc. I wear christian statement bracelets and rings almost every time I go out. I like to wear makeup occasionally but it's always natural. Made a habit of painting my nails. I'm inspired by the people I see, shops and Lookbook online.

You will not catch me dead in primark the quality is terrible and the clothes don't last long.

I'm now a save up to buy the expensive things I love rather than the small things I like.

I was totally ready for summer, and have already bought a new coat for winter :).

My hair is inspired by anime, layered uneven big and spiky, it goes with all my outfits.

• Impressive! The vintage look is very hard to pull off without looking like you're trying too hard.

• Thankyou :), 'm not afraid to admit I put effort into the majority of what I wear, fashion to me is an art.

What Guys Said 9

• (Stealing the format of previous posters.)

0-Whenever

I'm a baby! I didn't dress myself. But from the pics I've seen, toddler overalls, striped shirts and overalls seem to have been popular.

Whenever-Elementary School

We were dirt poor, so I wore whatever we got from shelters or St. Vincent de Paul. Shitty pants, sh*tty shoes, sh*tty shirts. I had these UGLY massive glasses (you know, the square kind) which were way too big for me, because apparently an optometrist offered free lenses to low income families -- but not frames. So my mother found some at a thrift store, popped out the old lenses and took that to the doc's office.

Middle School

Not quite as poor, now in our own house (state loan) so we can now afford to shop at thrift stores more often instead of sifting through garbage bags filled with clothes at charity and church giveaways. Commensurate with our new high-class lifestyle I went through a phase where I tucked in my shirts. In hindsight it looked ridiculous (and kids never let me forget it) but it seemed like a good idea at the time. All of the other people who dressed well (you know, in suits!) did it, so why shouldn't I tuck a t-shirt into my cargo pants?!

I also had this ridiculous hairstyle, the result of being forced to comb it (while I was forced to go to church), and when I refused to go at the age of 12... the hair stayed. At least until the second or third time I was sent to juvie and got tired of their shampoo getting into my eyes, and had it all cut off. I've been cutting it short ever since.

High School

I started wearing hats in 8th grade and it followed me into early High School. I think someone gave me one and I tried it, liked it in the summer and kept it up. I think I had a batman hat followed by some baseball hat before I got tired of them. Oh and coats. I always had a coat on. It gets really cold in the winter, but I hate wearing heavy coats so I'd wear these less obstructive ones. Started with a few hoodies, and then moved to zip-ups. The problem was that I'd get so accustomed to wearing them in the late fall, winter and early spring I'd keep wearing them even when it was getting hotter. I just felt naked without it.

Graduation-Now

I'm a jeans and t-shirt guy. I don't tuck. I don't wear hats. I don't wear a coat if I don't need to -- and when I do it's usually just a pullover. I have NORMAL glasses. My shoes are decent. Still from thrift stores, mind you, but I'm more discerning. I have two pairs of New Balance running shoes ($4.50 each and in new condition!), a pair of black Converse (not the emo kind you're thinking of) and two pairs of general tennis shoes. No, I'm not a queen! xD But when I find stuff I like in new condition from a thrift store, I buy them and stick them in the closet for future wear.

To steal a word from others, I'm a "minimalist". I don't have a style, I just want to cover myself up and remain comfortable. I'm hoping that is what "minimalist" means in the context of fashion.

• Hmm Somewhere down the line I went to Finland and spent two weeks not giving a sh*t because I was on vacation, and that basically became my motto for the trip, came back with me, and somehow I thought wearing Hawaiian shirts would be cool, well, looking back it was one of the worst things I could have done, I think, but it also gave me a bit of a blank slate to start over with since, well, I had no where to come from - I started fresh entirely. At first I switched over to button-down shirts, not a huge leap, but close, and that's where I learned I love rolled up sleeves. Then, when I started losing weight, I jumped over to polos, where I still kind of am, but I'm also trying other things, like military shirts, flannel, leather jackets, vests. No patterns aside from the flannel, though. And if I can avoid it, definitely no logos. No accessories, though I wish I had a pair of glasses I liked, haha. And this has all occurred over the past six years or so.

• My style hasn't changed at all, loose pair of jeans and a t-shirt either green grey or black. Comfy, affordable and standard.

• I dressed in all black in high school. I had the pant with chains (think hot topic), a trench coat, and most of the time I wore shirts purchased from think geek.com

In my second year of college, my style completely changed. I can't find words to say specifically what it is, but a general description would be GQ.

• I went...

Biker - Steek (chav/prep equivelant) - Rocker - Anti-Consumerist (O hypocrisy) - Hippy - Mod - Glam - Rockstar - Transexual Faux-Bohemian.

• To iterate on these styles, uh... Biker look was when I was a KID. I'd wear boots and large Harley-Davison coats, hahaha. Mutha's influence. Steek was tracksuits all the time, shaved head. Rocker was long-ish hair, t-shirt jeans and boots, with leather jacket. Anti-consumerism was the whole Che Guevara bullsh*t with military jackets and patches, and I'd got a penchant for bandanas and wastecoats which led into the hippy phase - which stayed with me, see profile. Uh... Mod look didn't-

• I say 'Transexual Faux-Bohemianism'. I'm being sort of unserious. I'm moving into short, casual, floral 'summer' dresses, tall boots, lace tights, lots of rags and dangling things, gold gypsy-type jewlery, minimal makeup and fuzzy "natural" hair.

• Theres nothing that I ever wore that really bothers me that much... The only thing I regret is buying into the whole Che Guevara franchise, which is something I now despise and abhor - not Che or Marxism or anything, they're fine, but what they've *become*, f*** that. But I can understand the reasons for that and I can dig it.

• lol I don't know what half these styles described below are. Uh iv dressed in a athletic style since 6th or 7th grade

• I started out in parkas now I walk around nude

• high school-lots of drugs and baggy clothes/ my 20's lots of drinking and mostly jeans/ my 30's lots of dating and still wearing jeans/ my 40's ...

• I now like turtles

What Girls Said 12

• My style has changed to be cuter and more fashionable. Middle school I wore pretty much everything from limited too (now called justice). Cheesy graphic tees and sparkle jeans etc. I also couldn't tame my curly hair so I usualky wore it up with big scrunchies or bright clips. I also tried random and not very flattering makeup like glittery stuff and bright cream eyeliners. Well, trial and error makes for improvement :P

9th grade I wore clothes that were a size too big because mom insisted on buying in store instea of online. I wore 0's from American eagle when I should have been in 00s. And mom also had the misconception that panties should be bought one size bigger than your pants size *facepalm* so my clothes were plain and too big that year with some of my middle school clothing crossing over. I also learned to use Bobby pins freshman year so I could stop wearing the childish patterned clips. I wore light foundation and mascara then

10th grade I experimented with a little more girlie of a style, replacing my cheesy tshirts with some nicer ones that had patterns or nice fabrics. Still wore very minimal makeup but bought some cheap eyeshadow and eyeliner to play around with.

11th grade I got more into skirts and my skinny jeans rather than boyfriend and boot cut. By then all my clothes were the proper size because I never grew into those 0's, in fact I lost a little weight for some odd reason. This is the point where I got the hang of taming my hair and it didn't just poof and look weird. I also tried higher end makeup like from Macy's and started my collection of blush, eyeshadows, and eyeliners.

12th grade my style became gyaru. I improved my makeup skills I had been working On since middle school and finally stepped outside of minimal makeup. I started wearing very natural-looking fake lashes, gradually working from partial to full strips. I also learned to shape my eyes to make them look prettier with just eyeshadow and eyeliner. I wore good blush and started using brow powder to make my whole look better. I found my perfect match for foundation that year too :) I also branched out into more quirky bright clothes, especially flowing shirts and short skirts. I love my sun dresses too, sometimes I wear a wide brimmed sun hat with them. I'm for sure a romantic gyaru. My style is more sexy and cute now that I don't have a strict dress code but I never dress slutty. I always wear one or two statement pieces at a time and I've had people tell me that I always look cute. By saving the good stuff I've found over the years I have a very varied closet of clothes.

Now I'm a freshman in college and I enjoy buying the quirky pieces if I see them. With my budget I like to shop at secondhand stores or really cheap ones like forever21 and Charlotte russe. I am also making some of my own clothing, like crocheting some shawls and sweaters for myself. When I make it myself it really is one of a kind stuff :D overall fashion gives me lots of confidence

• Well :P My style has changed quite a bit over the years.

When I was a kid (6-10yrs Old). I wore spice girl shirts, sloppy pj's, jeans, hiking boots, just a mix match of all sorts of things. My mom basically picked out everything, and I was always ultra matchy which was so bad.

(11-13) I wore jeans, t-shirts, always wore my hair up. I didn't wear anything special, I was a plain jane. No makeup, just very simple everything.

(14-17) I started to take better care of myself. I started wearing nicer clothes, a variety of pants, sometimes dress pants, lace up pants, yoga pants, jeans, etc.. Skater shoes, Bright colors, bracelets and lots of them, bandanas. I had a few moments, scene, rocker, prepp, goth, I wasn't too immersed in any, I just kind of did a slight take on them.

(18-19) I was a trendwhore, I wore big huge earrings, big bags, bangles, sparkly things, scarves..etc... I always had my hair done, curled, straightened everything. And I would do lots of makeup.

(20-21) My style kind of suffered, since I worked a lot and didn't really take care of myself. I worked and wore a uniform most days, when I didn't, I would just throw on some mascara, clothes that looked alright together and leave. So right now I am in a style rut.

(22) I dress like a 30 year old teacher and I hate it :P But I have all of these different styles of clothes that don't really make sense. So I just pull stuff out of my closet so I can leave the house. I have no idea what style I am, but I say 30 year old teacher because I do like dress pants, some nice top and cardigan most of the time. But it doesn't look as nice as it could.

I have to work on my style :P

• Well in middle school I wore kind of weird stuff...I went through this weird punk/goth phase and wore anything vaguely "punk/goth" I could find - which was hard, since my mom didn't like me wearing black, so I just wore the same random black clothes all the time. And a lot of tacky stuff from Hot Topic. Then I went through a kind of emo-ish phase, and like before I didn't really have much "emo" clothes so I just worked with what I had. :P Also, I wore random stuff like rainbow knee socks with boots. Ughhhh. I'm cringing thinking back on all my fashion choices from 5th-8th grade.

In 9th grade, I went through a kind of scene phase (except not really...I didn't listen to the music, just wore the obnoxiously colored clothes and adopted some of the annoying mannerisms). I would wear bright blue skinny jeans a lot, a striped shirt with a plaid hoodie, reallllly bright or busy prints. Sometimes I would combine all these... Luckily, halfway through the year or so I realized how hideous it was, so I stopped wearing it. I didn't have anything else to wear, though, so I just wore the same 2 or 3 hoodies and jeans every day.

Then in 10th grade I started dressing better, pretty similarly to how I do now actually. I remember wearing plaid shirts, cardigans, skinny jeans, V-necks, and Converse a lot then, which was a little boring but decent.

And now I dress...decently. I guess I dress pretty simply, I wear skirts and dresses more often now though, I also dress (I like to think) less boringly. My basic sensibility has stayed more or less the same since 10th grade (well 9th grade technically, I just didn't have the clothes to dress like it then :P), I've just stepped it up a little, haha.

• well I went to catholic school up til 8th grade, so uniforms and knee-highs for the longest time. the first two years of high school, I was sort of punk. lots of taking back Sunday, panic! at the disco, linkin park t-shirts :) then I got into a slightly preppy look, a bit more feminine. in college, I became a GIRL! hahaha. my freshman year of college...everyday was a fashion show. one of my roommate had tons of connections because she did a whole bunch of fashion internships so I had access to a great deal of designer clothing/accessories. my second year of college, I toned it down a bit. no more heels to class :p but I definitely did dress a bit fancier than most college students. I have a few hobo days mixed in there too lol. now I'm in my third year of college, and I've been wearing a great deal of sundresses, skinny jeans, flowy tops, belted, flats/wedges... more laid-back. in terms of make-up, I just wore eyeliner in high school, I did up the ante a bit my first year of college...but now I'm back to eyeliner and mascara.

• I'm all about dresses and skirts >< I love anything that's from the 20's-50's and lots of 70's skirts :D

.

• My style has definitely changed over the years. I did the whole glam queen look when I was younger and I've toned it down over the years for the preppy look but there's days where I dress a bit edgy/emo. & yeahh there's some outfits that I wore that makes me wonder what the f**** was I thinking?!?

• 9th grade-- oversized t-shirts and baggy jeans

10th grade-- emo

11th grade-- glamorous (a lot of rhinestones, sparkles, etc)

12th grade-- minimalist and classy

Freshman year-- skinny jeans and tight t-shirts

Sophomore year-- very feminine girlie girl

Junior year-- Fem-androg

Then I graduated college and I've kept my fem-androg style.

• Some dramatic changes there!

• I know it as a movement in 20th century western art music...

• Haha I'm not sure if it's a 'fashion sense' either, it just seemed like the right word to use at the moment :)

• My hair has kind of stayed the same over the years, although there are slight differences that make it look better. But I've always either straightened it, or left it curly. Recently I've kind of developed a new hairstyle that's hard to explain... it's sort of a mix of straight and curly, but still looks good and takes less time in the morning (always a plus). It looks a bit like this: link Generally straight, but has bits of waves and curls that give it volume. It's crazy how easy it is to do, too.

As for my clothes... haha, my style has changed quite a bit. I used to wear a lot of hoodies in high school, and though I still love my hoodies, more often than not, I'll be wearing something similar to this: link

• That hairstyle actually looks very good, I might try it sometime xD

• my style (and also lifestyle) has changed much during last 3 years. before I used to color my hair, smoke, use no make-up, have a fringe, wear dark clothes, have bad friends... but I decide to make a big change and get much serious look. the biggest change was conected with my hair - I use to change their color a lot, but they became too damaged, so I decide to not color it anymore - and nobody believed it could be possible. the hardest thing was to change my clothing. I loved metal, rock and goth fashion, so it takes long to get rid of it.

nowadays I am happy with my new look, because people don't want to avoid me anymore. they aren't scared and don't make stupid jokes. and also my parrents and teachers like my change, they take me much serious and smart.

• Sure, it changes over the years. That's the fun part! I love it. I'm older, & I see things I wore in HS come back into style. In fact, I saved some of my favorite things fro HS & college, and they are back in style. And YES! They STILL FIT ME! Can you believe that? I can still rock 'em. Actually, I saved a few dresses, so they look good at my age, and lots of jewellry, and ...don't laugh, a pair of shoes I loved. I have a few purses too, even one from my grandma, it's so great for now.

My style is basically the same, but more refined, if that makes sense. I think people always fall into a certain type of style, so to speak: sporty, classic, romantic, casual, business or ...

a mess. lol What you do within that frame work changes over the years according to your age, your job, & how much $$$ you have to put into your wardrobe. Does that make sense?

• I went from total hippie when I was a kid to more urban edge couture.

• Oh god... well all I used to wear was t shirts and jeans, with normal bottom eyeliner. I thought I was so cool. Now I regret it so much. I like vintage clothes now, and sometimes I use hints of gothic things, especially shoes. I also wear eyeliner just on top in cat liner, and a little white on the inside. I think my style has gotten better and more interesting.