Shakespearean talk, would you want the world to go back to that beauty of expression?

Shakespearean talk: would you want the world to go back to that beauty of expression?

And forget these lol's, omg's, woot's...etc.

Most Helpful Girl

• YES! Most definitely. Ah...what wouldn't I give...

Then let not winter's ragged hand deface,

In thee thy summer, ere thou be distilled:

Make sweet some vial; treasure thou some place

With beauty's treasure ere it be self-killed.

That use is not forbidden usury,

Which happies those that pay the willing loan;

That's for thy self to breed another thee,

Or ten times happier, be it ten for one;

Ten times thy self were happier than thou art,

If ten of thine ten times refigured thee:

Then what could death do if thou shouldst depart,

Leaving thee living in posterity?

Be not self-willed, for thou art much too fair

To be death's conquest and make worms thine heir.

What Girls Said 7

• Eeeeh, I'm skeptical. Yes the language he used is flowery and beautiful and I love reading his works (probably standard requirement for any English teacher) but I like the evolution of language and the places it takes us and the new things we get to experience because of it.

If we all still talked like him amazing poets like Whitman and Frost, Blake and Keats would never have become famous. They would have been seen as informal and crude and boring and bad. Authors of some of the books we cherish- 1984, Lord of the Flies, A Brave New World, all of these classics that are often required reading in high school would all be lost and cast away because they aren't beautiful and flower and the like.

Every book you love, every movie you've seen, most of the songs people listen to all gone, perished with the failure to evolve as a species.

Language is beautiful because it changes, because of the new ways we invent to speak to each other. Yes I love poetry, that's why I'm a lit major but I also love that this generation's greatest poetry is some of the music we produce. I think it's an amazing idea that a lot of people dismiss and scoff at. What is good music other than poems to a music? And you might say "Oh well shakespeare didn't need music". No, he just didn't use it. The melodies added to poems help to invoke more emotions, add depth to a poem, pull you in really tug at every part of your subconscious to really understand.

It. Is. Amazing.

What I want to go back to are the glory days of poetry. When people didn't think it was complicated to read and took time and lengthy discussions. I want that mindset back. I want back the days when it was appreciated and read and just understood and common place and pretty. Not complicated and tedious and prestigious- that's bull sh*t.

We don't need long, tedious, flowery ways of talking to make our language beautiful, and to be perfectly honest it would p*ss the ever loving sh*t out of me (yes p*ss sh*t) having to hear and talk like that all the time. It's too much. For him it is beautiful and natural and artistic, if it were common place it wouldn't be, it'd lose it's novelty and it wouldn't be so great any more.

• Call me a cynic - but I bet it wouldn't be half as beautiful if you were actually living it. It's nice to be able to look back on language like that and enjoy it - rather than take it for advantage in our day to day life.

• I would. I think everything sounds so boring now-a-days. Ye old English would spice things up and make everything more exciting and romantic. :) Great question!

• Why not?

Go forth and spread thy lilly gagith word.

Lol :P :D :)

• WOOT for shakespearean talk :P

• Well, you do have to remember that in real life they did not use such extravagant expressions as in his plays, but yes, I would love to speak old English.

• No, conversations would take longer... but I guess that's the whole point

• Half of a character's dialogue is unnecessary. Wish they'd just get to the point.

What Guys Said 2

• Even the romantic era would satisfy me. The way we talk nowadays is so plain.

• lol