Do you think the saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is B.S.?

Why or why wouldn't you think so? Is beauty generally accepted these days?

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 9

• I do think that there is a general societal standard for beauty, but how that standard is applied to the individual by other individual is what varies. So sure, we can all agree that straight hair is nice, or that blue eyes are pretty, but each individual analyzes a prospect beyond that. Perhaps they think straight hair is nice, but they prefer curls. They think blue eyes are great, but they prefer green. Some might think symmetry is great, but others might prefer asymmetry.

I think to say that beauty isn't in the eye of the beholder would amount to humans not being able to process and practice the art of perception and preference--- which is clearly not true :P

• Its true, I think people are hot and when my friends look at them they're like 'wtf you smokin?', same with me to some guys they've dated. Everyone has a different idea of what they find attractive, so their with never be a universal definition of what attractive is.

• I tried answering your question below but when I pressed submit, nothing happened. So weird, lol.

• yeah smart quotes made it not work. So what was your answer? :-P

• Oh, I see, I see.

My answer was...No, I don't hink its BS. You might think someone is the most beautiful person in the world but someone else may not have the same view. When you love someone, you look past the flaws everyone else can see. To you, that person is the best looking person ever. haha

• No I don't because people have their own belief of beauty; and what standards makes that perfect person.

• No, I believe it.

• I think so. There are plenty of people that the majority considered attractive, yet I don't find them good looking.

• Yeppp. I always think certain men are attractive and my friends are like woah no he's mingin'.

• Eye of the beholder. Completely!

• I think it's true but it's annoying

What Guys Said 11

• I think it's true, because there are plenty of conventionally unattractive women that I think are very hot.

• Ahh I see Belgie is a fellow chubby chaser! Cheers!

• No, I'm not a chubby chaser. But if a girl has a few extra pounds it doesn't turn me off the way it seems to turn off many other guys.

• No I don't think it's BS. I rarely crush on people for instance... So I think the beauty I look for isn't common.

• Hmmm. But is that physical or inner beauty?

• that's true because you have to notice somebody physically to get to know them emotionally.

• Indeed :) Ohhh, Tyler. Like minds, like minds.

• Yup. But there are also women that are generally considered attractive and women that are generally considered unattractive. We're all different, but not that different.

• It gives 2 roots for beauty for a person. There we find an internal imago, if you use this term from Jung. It means the internal picture, which you develop in the early childhood. This you wear in your mind in an unconscious kind.

The second root is the influence of the culture. Every time and every culture has its own idea, what`s beautiful and what isn`t.

The saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder, this is true, but it hasn`t no real contents. In spite of it`s true, it`s more or less a kind of word.game. (a kind of "glas.pearl-game") In Frence you call it "bon mot."

• Everyone thinks Megan Fox is really hot, yet I find her repulsive. (I'm straight, I just know what I like)

• I don't think it's bs.

• Yes I believe in that one...

• It's true because 90% of the "beautiful" women that is shown to me via the media such as your Megan Foxes, make-up spammers, and white women dipped in chocolate (BW who surgically removed their black features to fit the white beauty standard.) are only average at best to me. Just like I think Gina Carano, Nina Long (without weave), Kat Dennings, and Mariska Hargitay are attractive. I'm sure a lot of guys would disagree.

• No, because everyone finds different things attractive. There's no way you can say that's not true. For example; A lot of people think Angelina Jolie is hot. I almost don't even find her average. She's kind of a butterface.

• Booty is in the eye of the beholder?

• It is true, at least for me anyway, I remember I had a crush on a girl that I knew none of my friends found attractive. In all honestly if you looked at her just in terms of looks she wasn't that pretty but I just thought she was beautiful... don't know why lol, I just did... I usually crush on the shy, natural, really cute looking kinda girls who make me wanna go over and squeeze them to death with hugs lmao :DD