I want to be more girlie, advice?

Yep. You guys read that right. I love dresses, makeup, etc. My main wardrobe are tshirts,hoodies, jeans, and sneakers. But I'm not allowed to wear the things I like.

My parents are really strict to the point of being controlling. I'm not allowed to do things that other teens take for granted. The list is pretty long: no boyfriends, no hanging out at the mall, no manis/ pedis, not going out to see movies, not wearing makeup, no sleep overs, not driving a car, not going to parties, and the list goes on.

I want to update my look. Let's say I am still wearing the same clothes from middle school/high school. I am now 22 and it really sucks. I definitely want to look a bit more mature, you know? In my closet, I can count the amount of dresses I have on one hand.

I try to be very reasonable. My sense of style doesn't involve any body parts hanging out or anything. But I always get shot down by my parents. My dad thinks that me wearing heels would have me working on a street corner or something. It took me 6 yrs. to convince my mom to buy me a razor. When I do dress up, its only for important events. The last time I wore a dress, it was for a funeral, for pete's sake!

I do have some money saved up, but I pratically have to beg my parents to drive me to the bank or to the stores. They always make a big deal of it, like taking me out to the store is a big waste of their time.

I do want to feel pretty and not wear jeans for once. I usually get mistaken for looking like a middle schooler than my real age. I basically have to beg for what I want. My younger brothers don't have this problem, only me.

Can any one give me any advice?

Most Helpful Girl

• Woah. I can't imagine being in your situation. My parents haven't had that sort of control over me since I started working, which was several years ago ><

Do you have a part time job? Talk to your parents about finding a small, reasonable part time job so you can get some experience for your resume :)

As for style, maybe you should look into conservative dresses and skirts :D maybe Modcloth.com can help you out :) They have some really nice conservative clothing. It's a bit pricey, but its worth it if you can afford it.

• I had a part time job, but was laid off recently. I have saved some money up, but I had to actually jump threw several hoops just to get to my money. I'll look up the website!

• Get another one! If you don't know where to start, go to a place like Macy's. It'll get you into a mall and into an area with new clothing while getting you a job lol

What Guys Said 1

• You need to move away from your parents and learn to take charge of your own life. There is nothing better than to be free to live your life the way you choose to. I highly recommend moving out on your own, or moving in with a friend.

What Girls Said 4

• You're 22.

The best advice I can give you is to act your age.

You're an adult, act like one.

I know you want to respect them, but they should grant you the same kindness. You're too old to be living out of their pockets and in their world. Being 22 and not allowed to go to the movies - that just isn't right.

Stand up for yourself. Explain to them that these are innocent things, and you're an adult now, and old enough to make these kind of decisions for yourself. That you understand that they're maybe just trying to keep you safe - but you're old enough to do that for yourself. And you're old enough to dress yourself.

• I try to stand up for myself. But I feel hopeless. I rarely ask my parents for anything, actually. With all the restrictions I have, gently talking about anything new to my parents is like talking to a brick wall. I do have a bit of money saved up from a previous job, but its not enough. Now my dad is threatening to throw me out of the house for minor reasons. He knows I don't have anywhwere to go, so I don't know why he keeps doing this.

• you're 22! 4 years into adulthood already! explain to your parents that you're grown up. If they don't listen, then find a job and try move out.

• ok,actually I'm in love with what you wear,i think its so cool an casual and comfy at the same time,and it's good not to wear make up..

• you're 22? so you are either a junior or senior in college? or if you didn't go to college you have a job? if you didn't do either, its time to change that. maybe your parents are just waiting for you to take charge and do something with your life. if you have a job, save like crazy and move out, then you can do whatever the hell you want