How can you know which fish are edible and non-edible?

I am going hiking next summer out in the woods for about a week, so we'll be fishing in rivers for our meals on some nights. I've read and have been told that any fish is edible if you cook it, but I find that hard to believe.

Of course some are still more dangerous to eat than others apparently even after being cooked.

So does anyone know for sure what fish are and are not edible and might make me sick? I really don't want to ruin the trip by eating a bad fish. And any other camping tips you might have that will do me good for a seven day pack out will be accepted! Anything you can suggest I do or bring would be awesome!

I am so excited about this trip! Sometimes I can be very girly, I even make my own clothes sometimes, wear the girliest stuff, do my nails and hair, and giggle and scream like a girl.

But I also love fishing, mud wrestling, bull riding, football, HIKING, and NASCAR, just to name a few. So I am really hyped about this trip next summer and I'm willing to take any advice!

Oh, and another reason I'm doing this trip is because I want to be a smokejumper and this is kind of training for me and I need my backpack to weigh around fifty pounds, so anything you can tell me to bring that isn't totally obvious (like a tent and sleeping bag) would also be awesome of you!

Most Helpful Guy

• In north America the only freshwater fish that are in anyway poisonous that I know of are the Alligator Gar and the Catfish. The roe (fish eggs) from the Alligator Gar is poisonous and Catfish barbs are slightly poisonous. Most poisonous sea creatures are salt water inhabitants.

Alligator Gar

link

Catfish

link

• These are great links! thanks so much!

What Guys Said 6

• If you're fishing on a river, there aren't any fish that could potentially harm you after being cooked. Most of those dangerous fish are not indigenous to mountainous areas.

There is however, a fish that tastes like crap and is uneatable. It's called a carp. It's a big worthless, tasteless piece of crap.

• thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to look out for that. Really, thanks.

• Fresh water fish you should be fine, most are safe as in not poisonous, but if I were you I would check the game laws to see what kinds of fish you are legally allowed to keep, and which ones you can't.

• Oh yeah, been doing some research on that, and I'll keep it in mind. I'll be going with someone who lives in the area so hopefully he'll know enough! Thansk you!

• what stitches said. And pike. They taste terrible when I was up in canada they called them snot rockets

• I'm sure most fishes in a river are edible.

• when in doubt let your friends eat it first. you will be fine with the fish in US rivers. take extra food don't rely on catching fish for most of your meals.

• Oh yeah, definitely taking a good share, ave all the classics: macaroni and cheese, trail mix, nutri bars, fruit, so on. Thanks you for your advice!

• Don't eat Japanese blow-fish

• lol I know. But thanks for the tip!

What Girls Said 1