The Bible Belt has a higher divorce rate than New York City

Who’d have thought that where you live can have an impact on your marriage? The U.S Census Bureau just released their first-ever analysis on marriage and divorce. The results were, to say the least, surprising, reported the Daily News. Maybe that's why Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony are getting a divorce. They have homes in Florida and California.

"The reason is that young adults in the South and West tend to have less education and marry earlier, both of which lead to a higher risk of divorce," said Andrew Cherlin, a sociology professor at Johns Hopkins University.

The study was compiled from 2009 figures. Two years ago, New York had 23,698 divorces. The South had the highest rate of divorce. We’re talking 10.2 per 1,000 for men and 11.1 per 1,000 for woman. The states that had the highest divorce rates were Alaska, Oregon, Montana, Texas and Arizona, along with most of the southern states. It was also high in Vermont. Maybe it’s the cold?

The lowest divorce rates for women were New York and most of the northeast states. Other states with low divorce rates for women were Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Carolina.

Other interesting tidbits in the study include the fact that people are waiting longer to get married, and they’re older, too. Only 52 percent of people got married in 2009. In 2000, 57 percent got married. The average age for a guy getting married in 2009 was 28 and for women, it was 26. Back in 1970, most men were married by age 22 and women by the time they were 20!

Utah, Wyoming and Arkansas had the highest marriage rates. Hawaii has the most widows. The state that has the most widowers? Delaware and Wyoming.

What do you think of this study?

0|0
1|2

Most Helpful Guy

• As far as age, the problem is you have 15 year old kids getting married because of unexpected pregnancies. In the bible belt the parents don't want their grandchildren to be born out of wedlock so tell their kids they need to get married. Obviously these kids have a lower education and income than an adult. The studies have shown that women have the lowest divorce rates after the age of 25, as long as the men are older. The divorce rate goes back up if the woman is older than the man.

The higher your level of education the older you are likely to be. Education also effects income levels which have also been shown to affect divorce rates. I don't think that a 25 year old collage graduate with an income of $200,000 a year is going to have a different divorce rate than a 25 year old high school graduate that also makes $200,000 a year.

I think it all comes down to age and money. Anyway marriage doesn't mean anything. It is so easy to get a divorce that their is little difference between getting divorced and breaking up with your live in BF/GF.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• I like here and most people I know are married and would never get a divorce no matter what. You made a promise to god when you said I do

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• Just because they live in the bible belt and may go to church and call them self Christian does not mean they follow and know Christ (Jesus). It is a very sad statistic divorce is destructive on a personal level also on a national level.

Delaware and Wyoming widowers need to spend more time in Hawaii.

0|1
    0|0