Should I go with Irish-Gaelic or Latin for my tattoo?

I'm planning on getting a memorial tattoo of sorts to honor all the people I knew that have passed in the last year and those who will pass in the future. The tattoo will say "Remember the Fallen" and will be across my upper back in the shoulder blade region. I've decided I want it in a different language and have narrowed it down to Irish-Gaelic and Latin and like how both of them look in the font I have chosen. My paternal great-grandfather was originally from Ireland, so, I have a connection to the Irish-Gaelic, but I've also taken an interest in Latin. Which should I choose?

Gaelic- link

Latin- link

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 3

• gaelic

• I have Irish heritage in my blood but I think the Latin one is more cool looking.

• What's important is what you say, not how you say it. After that, everything else is secondary. I'd go with whichever one you feel a closer connection to.

Fallen, but not forgotten.

What Girls Said 3

• Gaelic

• Do what makes you happy. Just remember, it's your body and no one else's. If you choose a tattoo based on someone else's opinion, you won't be happy in the end. An ex of mine tried telling me my tattoo wasn't girlie enough. I finally decided to go with the one I wanted, instead of his choosing, and remain very happy about my choice [:

• I know. But, I like them both so much that it is hard to choose. I'm leaning more toward the Gaelic because it is close to my roots but I have a hard time pronouncing it.

• It would depend on which part of Ireland you were in. Hartmut is pronouncing it the way I learned it as a schoolboy in Dublin.

But you're using a pronounciation from somewhere down the countryside.

Like the word Chuaigh, meaning to walk. We would say that as "Coo-ig" but down the country that would be more like "Coo-ee"

• I'm actually from Cork. Though Belgie is correct in that the differing dialects can mean wildly different pronunciations. It's why I hated the aural exam in Leaving cert irish; they always use the Donegal dialect, which always sounds strange to me.

• i think the latin looks nicer but whatever you decide be sure its what you want.