Do the clothes make the man?

I've been wondering if what a guy wears can affect the way girls see him, do they look at a guys style when they first see him? Please comment if you vote, thanks!

• Yes it does
  • No it doesn't

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes it does have a big impact on how I see different guys. Since mostly you dress how you feel and your clothes, a lot of the time, suggest what kind of a person you are, what are your interests, what do you like and dislike...

For example, I love metal heads and Gothic boys. They represent something to me, and that's what I usually go for, because with the kind of information I get just from their clothes and the 'style' they represent I can usually pretty quickly find a topic that's based on common interests and we hit it off immediately!

• I totally agree, I mean - there are exceptions to everything as you mentioned, but the clothes suggest a mood and personality, and we are looking for a personality type that we are drawn to.

What Girls Said 11

• yes it does. I like cute clothes. I love a guy who knows how to dress in winter. I like winter clothes a lot

• The way a guy dresses definitely affects the way girls see him. I would never date or consider dating someone with 'unattractive' style. It's the first thing someone sees, you can't observe facial detail from a distance. I myself am very preoccupied with fashion and it would only be natural for my interests in fashion and clothing to mingle with his. This doesn't necessarily mean that 'if X wears Y then I refuse to date him'. personal style has a lot to do with confidence and the way in which it's pulled off, rather than the style demographic itself. A guy wearing too many trends at once just ends up looking like a tool and that is as unattractive as a guy who doesn't know how to dress himself in th least.

• Hmmm so how does a guy know what kinda clothes to wear?

• What kind of look are you going for? what appeals to you? how do you want to be perceived? It depends, I'll be more specific if you are haha.

• It does somewhat. I don't really care what he is wearing as long as he looks good in it. If his pants are pulled up too high or if he is wearing stuff not well fitting it is distracting. It doesn't impress me if he is wearing expensive clothes, but they should be clean and look good on him is what I am saying.

• No, the man makes the clothes. =]

• Personally, when I first see a guy his clothing choice does matter a little bit. It gives me something to base my expectations off of. What he's wearing sorta gives me a sterotypical personality type to fit him into. Then it all comes down to him prooving me right or wrong. If he has an amazing personality, I forget all about what sort of clothes he's wearing. So, if I'm just meeting the guy for the first time, what he's wearing does matter. However, if I've known the guy for a while and like his personality, clothes don't really matter at all.

• Yes his clothes matter. If he has no style I wouldn't be interested. It's part of your presentation so looking good always helps

• I seriously notice if a guy is looking dorky! lol. Clothes do make up how good someone looks

• well it's one of the first things I catch. especially if he does have great style, since I love fashion in the first place. to me, it means it's just one more thing he cares about that other guys might not.

• yes clothes do affect alittle bit of the way that a girl sees in a guy. it doesn't that much. but I don't think that a girl will want to go out with a guy wearing ragged-up clothes. girls like guys that dress nice for an occasion.

• Not completely

• none of my boyfriend's clothes suit him, he could look extremely attractive, but he just won't dress the part. I love him anyway, but I get dressed up for him, it would be nice if he would put in some of the same effort for me. when we first started dating he would get dressed up just to visit me at work, but now all he wears are ratty old t-shirts, dirty pants that are way too big for him and oversized coats and jackets that both of us can fit into. he doesn't own a single shirt with a collar or pair of pants without a grease stain on them somewhere. he has clothes for working outdoors and that's all, it would be really nice if he had at least 2 or 3 really nice outfits so that we could go out on nice dates or to nice parties. sometimes I even get embarrassed about what he wears, depending on where we go. I really do love him, I just wish he would put in the effort to look nice for me every once in a while.

What Guys Said 4

• The way you dress implies how much confidence he has. If he dresses dumpy, he feels dumpy and and people won't gravitate to him the way they would gravitate towards a guy who is confident and neat.

• Dress like a bum, then dress like a business man and see how girls react when you talk to them. Nuff said.

• XD I'm not sure if I should take that seriously or not

• Take it seriously.

a hobo dressed in rags asks for a dollar.

a person dressed in a suit asks for a dollar.

both have some quick reasoning for it

• absolutely! it IS cliche, but you only have one chance for a first immpression! make sure you ALWAQYA dress well, you will reap the rewards. it may sound superficial, but we can't judge a personality within 3 seconds of seeing someon (the time it takes to form an initial judgment) but we can by how they dress

• i think they look at style and how they look. but as soon as they actually get to talking to you, its up to you to keep it going.'

it makes a difference, but it isn't everything.