When you're getting your hair cut,do you bring a pic with you?

do you bring a picture of what you want your hair to look like? or do you describe it?

I feel a bit awkward bringing in a pic, like I'm being overly demanding lol

Most Helpful Guy

• As someone who actually goes to a salon. they don't care if they bring in a photo. ask who does the best cuts for women and they'll try and do their job. mind you, they aren't magicians they're hairdressers(as my stylist sign says lol) so you have to be precise on what you want your hair to look like. you can't really imagine it for em. it's always good to ask questions, like if it's too 'lengthy' or too 'short' the way you cut. always ask for advice they're willing to help you. that's based on my experience. So definitely bring a photo it'll help lots.

What Guys Said 14

• 2 on the sides and shorten the top a bit. then they'll put their fingers in my hair and try and get an idea as to what length I'm looking for on top.

Although I usually get my hair cut at the same place and the girl that does my hair is always there and usually does it - she knows what I usually get so I just sit down and she does her thing xD

• I cut my own hair.

• I usually try to explain it but I'm terrible at though, normally resigning my hairs fate to whatever the cutter thinks would look nice

• I would usually just get a fade but now that my hair is really long I'll have to go with something different for the first time so I'll have to bring a pic.

• I would describe it, but sometimes when I can't even explain to myself out loud what kind of hair cut I want (like a specific style) I would bring a picture.

• I sometimes speak to myself in front of the mirror, saying what I want in my haircut, I don't that frequently

• I do*. and @ update, you shouldn't feel awkward, that's stupid. Also you're paying for a hair cut order it however you like it.

• I try to bring a Pic becuse when it comes to hair, I feel like I'm talking Polish.

• Nah, I just tell em "above the ears, outta the eyes, but not too short" :P they get it right. I'm not too obsessive over my hair anyways. It's always sexy -_q

• I just tell them 6 on top, 1 on the side.

• No. In my case, a picture is not required :-P

• Nah I just say cut my hair pretty short.

• No. I just say cut it shorter.

• Nope I cut my own hair. =P

• when its a new hair cut, I bring a picture with me. Usually have it saved on my phone. Otherwise if its the usual hair cut I just describe what needs to be cut. Say thin out layered/ keep side burns ect.. short on top..

• i always bring a pic of vin diesel/bruce willis with me.

What Girls Said 11

• i always bring in a picture because I want what I want and I am paying them to give it to me. it is making it easier on them because they can see it and match it whereas a description can get lost in translation because people interpret things differently. you may say choppy layers and they may give you soft yet angular ones. I will also bring in a separate picture with the color I want and I will describe it and anything I want differently. I usually like a hairstyle but I also want to keep my length cause I'm trying to grow it out so that's what I say "i want this hairstyle, but without cutting off any of the length"... it shouldn't be awkward knowing what you want and being honest and straightforward about it.

• If I'm getting my hair styled then I do, but for a haircut I usually just get it trimmed so there's really no reason to bring a pic, but I don't think you're being demanding you're just showing them what you want

• i show a picture

• @ your update -No, you should bring a picture you are not overly demanding. You are paying to get what you want done. If they can't do it go somewhere else where they can do it. You want something and you are paying for it. Don't let them take your kindness for weakness. The customer is (usually) always right. In your case. YOU ARE RIGHT!

I do bring a picture in with me and I ask them if they can replicate it exactly. If they can, I will go to them if they can't I don't. I say it very politely, straightforward and stress that this is the only style I want. You have to make them understand this is important to you because you are going out in public that way.

• I've brought pics, but usually I just explain how I want it.

• actually brought a picture with me once :)

• Yes I do try to bring a picture so she can know exactly what I want. Sometimes words aren't good enough

• Nope, my friend usually cuts my hair so I just tell her to cut it however she wants.

• Yes, especially if she/he is not my usual hair stylist/barber.

Main reasons:

- I'm a terrible describer

- I'm terrible with hair related stuff

- Best mode of communication/illustration and it makes the hair stylist/barber's life much easier without anyone panicking or getting unhappy :)

Of course usually I'll try to explain it first. The picture helps a lot for her/he to get a better illustration or visualization of what to do. You'll only come across as demanding if you use very demanding tone towards them or giving them an attitude :) So don't worry! It's not awkward and it saves their time too! :D xx

• I usually just get my hair trimmed so no. If I wanted to go out of my comfort zone, I definitely would.

• YES!

I print it out, blown up and in color and I explain to my hair stylist, in detail, what it is exactly that I want. And I make sure that she sets it on the table in front of her so she can see that the entire time she's cutting my hair. Otherwise, you're going to get exactly the opposite of what you want.

• That's not awkward at all, it's actually quite helpful. Salons usually have look books for hairstyles and you'd bring the book along with you and show them the page. So why not just bring your own?

• @ answerer. I vaguly rember seeing a hair style booklet somewhere I got my haircut so bringing your own pic of an actor or something you would like to try isn't that far of a stretch.