Wearing eyeliner and mascara?

I'd like to start wearing a bit of eyeliner and mascara to bring out my eyes behind my glasses. The problem is that whenever I try applying it, I always end up with this a harsh and slightly scary look.

So how can I apply them (eyeliner specifically) so that it looks natural? I have black/very dark brown hair and dark brown eyes.

Would black eyeliner be a no-no?

Should I apply it to the top lid only?

Should I apply it to the waterline?

Should I smudge it?

I have pencil and liquid eyeliner, but I prefer pencil.

Most Helpful Girl

• I know what you mean lol. what I do is use a pencil (liquid can be really harsh) in like a dark brown instead of black and then just apply it to the top lid and the bottom but instead of applying it on the whole bottom lid just barely go have way from your outer corner of the eye. (still makes your eyes pop but doesn't look like you have makeup on. also take a tapered brush or q tip and smug line or apply a dark eyeshadow in the same spot. (I hope this makes sense I thought it would be easier to explain on the computer haha) also apply white shimmer or pencil to inner corner of eyes that will open them and at the brow bone. curl lashes and then use mascara to make them pop even more. doing this cute down my makeup routine a ton lol. and it doesn't look like you are really wearing anything. let me know if I can help again!

What Guys Said 1

• Coming from a guy, the reason you look harsh and scary looking, is probably because you're applying eyeliner.

What Girls Said 8

• this is what you would wanna do cause I wear glasses and have typical asian brown eyes and black eyeliner. I makeup sometimes as well. first you would want to appy the eyeliney under your eyelashes. trust me that extends your eyelashes and you won't look like a racoon. than you appyl eyeliner on the bottom lid because your glasses won't censor the bottom lid. then you do the whole curling eyelash business and appyly your mascara which adds to the length of your extended eyelashes. or if you wanna just extend your eyelashed and fin new found eyelash peices, you take a spoon and keep pressing it upward against your crease cause it would make them stand. I'm not really sure cause I don't do it but I recommend it because I see my mexican friends doing it and their eyes look like featherdusters that can CLEAN!

• I don't use eyeliner. Use the powdered stuff, and get an angled small brush and apply it like you would eyeliner. It's softer, easier to apply, and stays longer, for me at least.

• ok pencil:

try practicing with the pencil on the top lid before you do it right before you go somewhere & you don't have time to wash it off & re-fix it.

if you do apply it to the lower lash line I would use brown/ brown-black.

Applying it to the water line would be best, just for a little highlight.

dont smudge unless your doing a look with your eyeshadow.. like a smokey look.

also if your using pigment eyeshadow don't smudge because you'll get to much fallout for it being to pigmented.

hope I helped!(:

-hdj<3

• I would try using a soft charcoal color or brown colored liner and then smudging it lightly with a smudge brush or your finger tip.

Another suggestion would be to use brown or black eye shadow and apply it in a line with a liner brush. This gives much less harsh of a line.

Definitely apply mascara when you apply liner. Black always looks good unless you have blonde eye lashes.

Ply around with some different techniques until you find one you like!

• I used to try to wear eyeliner with my glasses too. It was like you said it looked harsh. If I wear eyeliner I wear a medium brown and NOT black. But I usually just wear mascara. (a brown color by the way). Max Factor has a good selection of different shades of brown mascara and eyeliner.

• Don't apply the eyeliner all the way across the bottom part of your eyelid, put it on from the out side of the eye and work your way towards the middle... I'm not sure how well I explained that and if you need any clarification let me know. Use pencil, I don't know how well the liquid stuff works.

• hello alwys get water proof smudge proof eye liner and I perfer black I also wear glasses and smudign make yu look tired or yu have been crying only the bttom and use dark eye shadow like onyx black but please let me know how this works for yu./..

• Behind glasses I recommend a leather-brown eyeshadow over your lid (don't go up into the crease, it could appear bruised) and use a darker brown eyeliner and smudge it on the top lid only. Definitely only use pencil for a softer look.